STEAM GROUP
eXplorminate e4X
STEAM GROUP
eXplorminate e4X
62
IN-GAME
919
ONLINE
Founded
September 24, 2014
Language
English
Location
United States 
faijeya Jun 9, 2015 @ 2:40am
Master of Orion: CTS - MEGA thread!!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/298050/

Ok, so we (Wargaming) finally unveiled our take on Master of Orion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtQhNef17zw

In regards to the project I'm officially nobody (and absolutely in no way in marketing, to rehash that old discussion), so I can comment only on publicly available info.

UPD: a-a-and, it's out there -

Severian is the boss on the project and he lurks here, so grab your constructive keyboards and type away!


Army Pea's lets play is on the way
http://youtu.be/RqKl5duZaRw

Release Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XPF69SjMF4

They're coming...

https://explorminate.net/2016/11/25/master-of-orion-theyre-coming-announcement/

eXplorminate's Content

eXplorminate review - https://explorminate.net/2016/08/25/master-of-orion-conquer-the-star-review/

ReeXamination #1 -https://explorminate.net/2016/12/27/master-of-orion-conquer-the-stars-reexamination-1/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added for those looking to still play -

Originally posted by Spud Dastardly:
Thanks everyone :steamhappy: Just to expand on Gut's list with some links, here are the mods in question (Nexus links for the same mods below the Steam ones):

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=800155077
https://www.nexusmods.com/masteroforionconquerthestars/mods/6
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1109736522
https://www.nexusmods.com/masteroforionconquerthestars/mods/30
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1190572281
https://www.nexusmods.com/masteroforionconquerthestars/mods/45
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=867373732
https://www.nexusmods.com/masteroforionconquerthestars/mods/34
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1199902121&searchtext=diverse+specials
https://www.nexusmods.com/masteroforionconquerthestars/mods/37
Nexus users please note that DSMP is out of date on the Nexus page. You can download the latest version here.

Make sure that you follow the Unofficial Code Patch install instructions carefully as it's not installed like other mods. Make sure your load order is correct as well. The load order should be:
  • 5X
  • UCP
  • DSMP*
  • 5X UCP Compatibility mod
  • Split Tech Tree*
*DSMP should not be used at the same time as Split Tech Tree.
Last edited by Nasarog; Mar 24 @ 5:52am
< >
Showing 1,516-1,530 of 3,364 comments
Hans Lemurson Apr 2, 2016 @ 10:00pm 
NGD were fans of Master of Orion though, but I'm not convinced that they actually understood the game.
Icemania Apr 9, 2016 @ 8:27am 
At this point, I think Wagaming have more than enough feedback on everything. The real question now is what is cooking for EA3? Chris, are there any hints around? Any of the staff at eXplorminate have any insight that can be made public?
Last edited by Icemania; Apr 9, 2016 @ 8:27am
Nasarog Apr 9, 2016 @ 9:05am 
Originally posted by Icemania:
At this point, I think Wagaming have more than enough feedback on everything. The real question now is what is cooking for EA3? Chris, are there any hints around? Any of the staff at eXplorminate have any insight that can be made public?

Nothing that we can share that I know of.
kuraiken Apr 9, 2016 @ 10:52am 
Originally posted by Icemania:
At this point, I think Wagaming have more than enough feedback on everything. The real question now is what is cooking for EA3? Chris, are there any hints around? Any of the staff at eXplorminate have any insight that can be made public?
Ha! Not so. I still got lots of stuff up my sleeve, but I got sidetracked releasing my new MGSV TPP mod.
Physicaque Apr 9, 2016 @ 11:28am 
I expect spying+Darloks.
The 4Xplorer Apr 9, 2016 @ 1:09pm 
Originally posted by Icemania:
At this point, I think Wagaming have more than enough feedback on everything. The real question now is what is cooking for EA3? Chris, are there any hints around? Any of the staff at eXplorminate have any insight that can be made public?
All the races are returning, as is espionage. The combat is really shaping up, though I'm not a big fan of the way ships move around each other as it looks very artifical. They have this weird glide motion (that has been there the past few builds) that is really starting to annoy me as it hasn't been fixed.

Races are getting stronger asymetrical benefits similar to the original, i.e. the Bulrathi now have a strong ground combat modifier.

I'll play the new build (the secret dev build) this weekend and let you know what else I spot.
Last edited by The 4Xplorer; Apr 9, 2016 @ 1:10pm
Physicaque Apr 9, 2016 @ 1:48pm 
^Good. Although ground combat modifier is no fun without the option to board enemy ships.
Icemania Apr 9, 2016 @ 9:31pm 
Originally posted by kuraiken:
Originally posted by Icemania:
At this point, I think Wagaming have more than enough feedback on everything. The real question now is what is cooking for EA3? Chris, are there any hints around? Any of the staff at eXplorminate have any insight that can be made public?
Ha! Not so. I still got lots of stuff up my sleeve, but I got sidetracked releasing my new MGSV TPP mod.
LOL, I'll settle for the Executive Summary good sir!
Icemania Apr 9, 2016 @ 9:31pm 
Originally posted by DevildogFF:
I'll play the new build (the secret dev build) this weekend and let you know what else I spot.
Cheers DD!
BitGamerX Apr 10, 2016 @ 7:40am 
I might be off base since I'm not playing the EA version but I'm curious why even include tactical battles if there isn't really any tactics involved? Why not just make it a grand strategy game and avoid the criticism related to current implement of battles.
kuraiken Apr 10, 2016 @ 7:50am 
Originally posted by BitGamerX:
I might be off base since I'm not playing the EA version but I'm curious why even include tactical battles if there isn't really any tactics involved? Why not just make it a grand strategy game and avoid the criticism related to current implement of battles.
Master of Orion has always put a lot of emphasis on ship combat (as evident in Ship Types, Ship Designer, Ship Combat, most of the Technologies) and much of the game is designed towards it, from the technologies to the purpose of colony production, etc.
Removing combat would not only cause a lot more people to cry out, it would also remove a core gameplay mechanic.
So it wouldn't avoid criticism, it would spawn an enourmous host of new criticism.

Furthermore, MoO doesn't really have the foundation for Grand Strategy, nor does Grand Strategy imply that there aren't any battles. (e.g. the Total War Series)
If you can't design ships and throw them into combat, there isn't really a whole lot you can do other than very basic diplomacy and building colonies. So what's left gameplay wise?
And if you can design ships, but you never see them in action, that's underdeveloped and inconsistent game functionality. If you build a gameplay mechanic, it has to extend into the range of interaction that challenges and rewards the player. If a gameplay mechanic is just there to give you something to do, but isn't really integrated into the overall game design, than that's bad design and ruins a whole lot of things, from immersion & atmosphere, to consistency & enjoyment.

So anyway you turn it, removing tactical combat entirely would be a catastrophic move.
BitGamerX Apr 10, 2016 @ 8:07am 
Originally posted by kuraiken:
Master of Orion has always put a lot of emphasis on ship combat (as evident in Ship Types, Ship Designer, Ship Combat, most of the Technologies) and much of the game is designed towards it, from the technologies to the purpose of colony production, etc.
Removing combat would not only cause a lot more people to cry out, it would also remove a core gameplay mechanic.
So it wouldn't avoid criticism, it would spawn an enourmous host of new criticism.

Furthermore, MoO doesn't really have the foundation for Grand Strategy, nor does Grand Strategy imply that there aren't any battles. (e.g. the Total War Series)
If you can't design ships and throw them into combat, there isn't really a whole lot you can do other than very basic diplomacy and building colonies. So what's left gameplay wise?
And if you can design ships, but you never see them in action, that's underdeveloped and inconsistent game functionality. If you build a gameplay mechanic, it has to extend into the range of interaction that challenges and rewards the player. If a gameplay mechanic is just there to give you something to do, but isn't really integrated into the overall game design, than that's bad design and ruins a whole lot of things, from immersion & atmosphere, to consistency & enjoyment.

So anyway you turn it, removing tactical combat entirely would be a catastrophic move.

That's fair enough. I was watching wargamming.Seattle streaming it and they weren't playing the battles. They were just simulating them and getting the results. I'm all for good tactical battles but they have to be done right.
kuraiken Apr 10, 2016 @ 8:22am 
Originally posted by BitGamerX:
That's fair enough. I was watching wargamming.Seattle streaming it and they weren't playing the battles. They were just simulating them and getting the results. I'm all for good tactical battles but they have to be done right.
True, which is why I'm still working (or will soon resume work) on some extensive feedback concerning tactical battles and ship design. But I've done nothing but mod these last three days, so today I'm on a little break right now before I get back to it. :)



Originally posted by Icemania:
Originally posted by kuraiken:
Ha! Not so. I still got lots of stuff up my sleeve, but I got sidetracked releasing my new MGSV TPP mod.
LOL, I'll settle for the Executive Summary good sir!
Well, still a work in progress, but Ship Design is about missing options (e.g. Updating civilian blueprints), visibility of information for decision-making (e.g. weapon stats shown) and integration of more sophisticated elements into the interface that translate into more control of battles through ship design. (Ship Tactics, Engagement Ranges, Target Priorities)
Tactical Combat is basically about consistent gameplay mechanics (homing projectiles and % hit or hit through target box collision, weapon type categories, ship properties, e.g. higher damage suffered from rear hits), balancing of weapons (not all that much that can be done, missing info on stuff), interface & combat control (type selection vs. unit selection, grouping, interface display, ways to create tactical elements on the battlefield, encourage options that translate into direct user-controlled actions-success/failure sequences, which will increase interaction and satisfaction of successful actions).
Also some stuff on colony management, e.g. movement range limit of ships, outpost feature, and some other stuff, like how to make colonization initially more of a challenge and tough decision situation. Probably going to rework my diplomacy suggestions into a more cohesive and imrpoved version, too.
Last edited by kuraiken; Apr 10, 2016 @ 8:23am
Nasarog Apr 10, 2016 @ 9:32am 
Originally posted by BitGamerX:
I might be off base since I'm not playing the EA version but I'm curious why even include tactical battles if there isn't really any tactics involved? Why not just make it a grand strategy game and avoid the criticism related to current implement of battles.

Because as a grand Strategy, it will not be able to compete with Stellaris.
RayFowler Apr 10, 2016 @ 11:00am 
Originally posted by Nasarog:
Originally posted by BitGamerX:
I might be off base since I'm not playing the EA version but I'm curious why even include tactical battles if there isn't really any tactics involved? Why not just make it a grand strategy game and avoid the criticism related to current implement of battles.

Because as a grand Strategy, it will not be able to compete with Stellaris.

Being the best is not the same thing as being profitable
< >
Showing 1,516-1,530 of 3,364 comments
Per page: 15 30 50