STEAM GROUP
Steam Client Beta SteamBeta
STEAM GROUP
Steam Client Beta SteamBeta
7,475
IN-GAME
45,392
ONLINE
Founded
January 8, 2013
All Discussions > Bug Reports > Topic Details
steamwebhelper built against odd libraries, store does not load with native client [SOLVED]
Like in https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/discussions/0/1848072002751160288/ although not resolved here (client build March 23 2019 00:05:47)

Running steam-native from CLI yields the following messages:
./steamwebhelper: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Creating libpcre.so.3 as a symlink to libpcre.so.1 (since this is what libpcre.so.3 is outside of Debian) changes the message to:

./steamwebhelper: error while loading shared libraries: libselinux.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm not sure why the steamwebhelper now links against these libraries, especially selinux. Can this change be reverted?

Arch Linux bug report: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/62095
Last edited by WorMzy (on Linux); May 16, 2019 @ 10:42am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
feelotraveller Mar 24, 2019 @ 7:46pm 
Manjaro is affected in a similar manner.

Anything http related does not show - community, profile, store, etc. Only the Library window is unaffacted.
WorMzy (on Linux) Mar 27, 2019 @ 1:55pm 
Still an issue with client build date Mar 26 2019 23:59:21
rawspeed Mar 27, 2019 @ 6:26pm 
Some people in the OP's linked archlinux bug report said installing `selinux` from the AUR fixed it, and somebody made a package specific to this issue that also fixes it (and also installs selinux): https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/steam-native-pcre-fix
WorMzy (on Linux) Mar 28, 2019 @ 1:34pm 
Yep, but installing SELinux to get a webpage to load is a bad workaround, not a good solution.
Tritano Mar 29, 2019 @ 9:12am 
It installs SELinux because steamwebhelper currently requires it.

When you follow the AUR link from Raws you end up in the discussion with details about it: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/62095
WorMzy (on Linux) Mar 29, 2019 @ 6:23pm 
Still an issue with client build date Mar 28 2019 23:49:54
Elle-net Mar 29, 2019 @ 8:52pm 
Temporary workaround:
Inside “Steam/ubuntu12_64” folder where “steamwebhelper” file is placed create symlinks:
ln -s ../ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3 libpcre.so.3
ln -s ../ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libselinux.so.1 libselinux.so.1

P.S. don’t install selinux package just for library, if you are not going to setup it properly and use it, otherwise unpredictable results can be caused to your OS.
LaughingInPurgatory Mar 30, 2019 @ 11:37am 
Originally posted by Elle-net:
Temporary workaround:
Inside “Steam/ubuntu12_64” folder where “steamwebhelper” file is placed create symlinks:
ln -s ../ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3 libpcre.so.3
ln -s ../ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libselinux.so.1 libselinux.so.1

P.S. don’t install selinux package just for library, if you are not going to setup it properly and use it, otherwise unpredictable results can be caused to your OS.

This worked fine, thank you.
WorMzy (on Linux) Mar 31, 2019 @ 8:11am 
Another workaround is is preload the system versions of the libraries that pull in these deps in the first place -- libglib-2.0.so.0 and libgio-2.0.so.0. Presumably these libraries were rebuilt recently, but they were linked against the aforementioned libraries which are missing from non-Ubuntu/Debian systems.

You can load the system version of these libraries before running steam-native:

$ export LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0 /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0"
$ steam-native

And steam can then display web content again.
backsaw Apr 3, 2019 @ 6:55pm 
I'm having this issue as well. Thanks WorMzy and Elle-net!
ETA: so close. On my system (Manjaro 64) the path is a little different and I'm missing one library, so:
libgcc_s.so.1 -> ../ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1

but I don't have any libpcre.so.3
Last edited by backsaw; Apr 3, 2019 @ 7:04pm
backsaw Apr 3, 2019 @ 7:09pm 
Originally posted by WorMzy (on Linux):
Another workaround is is preload the system versions of the libraries that pull in these deps in the first place -- libglib-2.0.so.0 and libgio-2.0.so.0. Presumably these libraries were rebuilt recently, but they were linked against the aforementioned libraries which are missing from non-Ubuntu/Debian systems.

You can load the system version of these libraries before running steam-native:

$ export LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0 /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0"
$ steam-native

And steam can then display web content again.

Thanks!
Result:
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
You'll get those errors when the main steam client opening, because it's a 32-bit application. The errors can be safely ignored (for this situation they are, for all intents and purposes, warnings). The webhelper runs in a child process, and inherits the preload environment variable from the main process.
ESTUD4NTE Apr 5, 2019 @ 7:11pm 
Originally posted by Elle-net:
Temporary workaround:
Inside “Steam/ubuntu12_64” folder where “steamwebhelper” file is placed create symlinks:
ln -s ../ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3 libpcre.so.3
ln -s ../ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libselinux.so.1 libselinux.so.1

P.S. don’t install selinux package just for library, if you are not going to setup it properly and use it, otherwise unpredictable results can be caused to your OS.

Thx, worked for me!
backsaw Apr 9, 2019 @ 5:57am 
Originally posted by WorMzy (on Linux):
You'll get those errors when the main steam client opening, because it's a 32-bit application. The errors can be safely ignored (for this situation they are, for all intents and purposes, warnings). The webhelper runs in a child process, and inherits the preload environment variable from the main process.

Thanks, still getting blank pages but I'm running 'steam'. What is 'steam-native'?
ETA: Nevermind I have it installed. on Arch it is just invoked as 'steam'
Last edited by backsaw; Apr 9, 2019 @ 6:02am
WorMzy (on Linux) Apr 23, 2019 @ 3:09pm 
This is still an issue with client build date Apr 19 2019 21:10:43
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

All Discussions > Bug Reports > Topic Details
Date Posted: Mar 24, 2019 @ 12:51pm
Posts: 21