Hey, everyone! Today we're releasing v1.4.0, featuring added support for final Vulkan Ray Tracing API, and enabling dynamic selection between the pre-existing NVIDIA VKRay and the new Khronos extension backends.New Features:
Fixed Issues: Denoiser Improvements:
- Added support for final Vulkan Ray Tracing API. The game can now run on any GPU supporting `VK_KHR_ray_tracing_pipeline` extension
- Added temporal upscaling, or TAAU, for improved image quality at lower resolution scales.
- Implemented a new gradient estimation algorithm that makes the image more stable in reflections and refractions.
- Implemented sampling across checkerboard fields in the temporal filter to reduce blurring.
- Improved motion vectors for multiple refraction, in particular when thick glass is enabled.
- Improved the temporal filter to avoid smearing on surfaces that appear at small glancing angles, e.g. on the floor when going up the stairs.
- Improved the temporal filter to make lighting more stable on high-detail surfaces.
- Added git branch name to the game version info.
- Improved the console log to get more information in case of game crashes.
- Increased precision of printed FPS when running timedemos.
- Reduced the amount of stutter that happened when new geometry is loaded, like on weapon pickup.
- Replaced the Vulkan headers stored in the repository with a submodule pointing to https://github.com/KhronosGroup/Vulkan-Headers
- Static resolution scale can now be set to as low as 25%.
- Vulkan validation layer can now be enabled through the `vk_validation` cvar.
- Updated SDL2 version to changeset 13784.