al Aug 13, 2015 @ 3:59pm
Steam Responsive Web Beta
Hello everyone,

We're currently beta testing a new update to the Steam websites that uses a responsive design to provide a better experience on mobile phones, tablets, touch-enabled laptops, and other devices.

You can see the beta by visiting http://steamcommunity.com in your browser on your mobile phone or tablet. These changes are also available in the latest versions of the Steam mobile app.

The Steam Store and new Support site have also been updated.

Currently the following parts of the Steam Community are included in the beta:

Let us know what you think of the new pages!
Last edited by al; Nov 10, 2015 @ 5:50pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 148 comments
al  [developer] Aug 13, 2015 @ 3:59pm 
Frequently Asked Questions

What devices are supported?
The idea behind a "responsive" web page is that, instead of being built to support specific devices, the page "responds" and adapts to the visitor's device. With this in mind, this beta aims to support almost any device with a screen and something to point with, be it a mouse, finger, or gamepad.

Why don't I see the new pages in the Steam Mobile app?
The Steam Mobile app will be updated at a later date.

How do I opt out of the beta?
From the menu, select "View Desktop Website". If you decide you want to opt back in at a later time, select "View Mobile Website" at the bottom of the page.

Why am I seeing the beta menu on my laptop?
Touch-friendly controls (including the new menu) are automatically enabled when we detect a touch interface. If you have a touch-enabled laptop but would prefer to have the older menus, you can select "View Desktop Website" from the menu.

How do I report a bug?
Please use this thread to report bugs, or use the "Report a Bug" button that appears when you tap the "BETA" icon in the top right. Using the button will prepopulate your post with details about your device which may help us diagnose problems. If you have other feedback or suggestions, feel free to leave it in this thread.
✪ N1Ko Aug 13, 2015 @ 4:04pm 
Looks pretty good, but I don't want more steamcommunity crashes.
x911 Aug 13, 2015 @ 4:08pm 
Looks awesome. Keep going
LuckyLastLaugh Aug 13, 2015 @ 4:09pm 
Edit: oh, I see there is an option to switch to and from the beta :)

2nd Edit: It would be nice to be able to send or counter-offer trade offers from our smart devices. Double tapping wouldn't work imo, maybe dragging? Or tapping once and then having an option drop down for the item, and be able to choose to add it or remove it from the trade offer.
Last edited by LuckyLastLaugh; Aug 13, 2015 @ 4:21pm
Scratch Aug 13, 2015 @ 4:25pm 
I'm actually surprised Al doesn't start up their posts with " 'Good News Everyone', We're currently beta testing a new update"
Starscre4M Aug 13, 2015 @ 5:12pm 
Wow it's looking really good!

Also when you go to someones screenshot/artwork it loads the old screenshot mobile page, so there is no option to like/share/favorite/report.
Last edited by Starscre4M; Aug 13, 2015 @ 10:40pm
himmatsj Aug 13, 2015 @ 8:03pm 
Really like it, but the black bar is too big horizontally on my iPad. Make it thinner or smaller please.
himmatsj Aug 13, 2015 @ 8:09pm 
Clicking the big Steam logo on the black bar should take us to the homepage.
Pretty nice design ...love it :D
Coriallis Aug 13, 2015 @ 8:26pm 
Happy to see this. The UX is nice, but something seems a bit clunky that I can't put my finger on. Perhaps have wider margins? Seems a little cramped, I think.l

Edit: Then again, maybe there's just too much (speaking of the topic list, at least)? At least on a relatively small screen going vertical, it seems like there's too much space being taken up by non-content (ie only a word or two of a topic title in the topic list), and not enough white space. Could just be my setup though.

FYI, the light gray/silver drop downs kinda clash. I'd suggest using the color of the cancel button (when you're editing)
Last edited by Coriallis; Aug 13, 2015 @ 8:32pm
Matt Aug 13, 2015 @ 8:57pm 
:thumbs: Looks great so far :steamhappy:
Literally Free Aug 13, 2015 @ 10:08pm 
Gg no re.
Literally Free Aug 13, 2015 @ 10:08pm 
Good job though Valve. How long has this been in d3v3lopm3nt?
Had been using the desktop site on a mobile device so this is a welcome change. Liking the interface design so far.
x911 Aug 14, 2015 @ 12:08am 
Originally posted by Matt:
:thumbs: Looks great so far :steamhappy:
It is great man

:guheart:
< >
Showing 1-15 of 148 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Aug 13, 2015 @ 3:59pm