This topic has been locked
why are Prologues in free to play
a prologue is NOT a complete full free game for people to play its a short demo of the full game, please change this steam, F2P is flooded with devs using this to get more free advertising, please steam stop this and make changes.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 99 comments
Garce Oct 7 @ 4:11am 
I kind of agree with you. Prologues should be listed under a new "Shareware" category. Its a stinky pooper trying to find interesting, fully free ACTUAL GAMES to play.

These Prologues are just free marketing for games Coming Soon. Nothing wrong with them - some are quite good - but the games themselves are not actually free.

Originally posted by Garce:
I kind of agree with you. Prologues should be listed under a new "Shareware" category. Its a stinky pooper trying to find interesting, fully free ACTUAL GAMES to play.

These Prologues are just free marketing for games Coming Soon. Nothing wrong with them - some are quite good - but the games themselves are not actually free.

i know right, i find it to be false advertising in a way and abuse of the system.
Last edited by InnerPhoenix; Oct 7 @ 4:16am
Garce Oct 7 @ 6:01am 
Not sure its "false advertising", but I believe it is abuse of Steam's free game system. I'm 100% with you on that one.
ReBoot Oct 7 @ 6:03am 
A prologirbis a free game. A short free game, but a free game nonetheless. Feel free to report them though, if you think they're abusing anything.
Last edited by ReBoot; Oct 7 @ 6:03am
Garce Oct 7 @ 6:08am 
They are not abusing anything. I am 57 years old. I used to buy CDs full off shareware back in the early/mid nineties. None of those games were considered Free To Play.

Not going to report anyone, I just think that Steam should probably start a Shareware category - where "Free To Play" or "Prolugues" can be freely shared.

They ARE free, full games.
They ARE NOT shareware.

Shareware is a trial version either by time or by functionality that can be upgraded to a full version.

The "new" prologues are full games of smaller scope that tie in with their main game.
ReBoot Oct 7 @ 7:58am 
They are not abusing anything. I am 57 years old. I used to buy CDs full off shareware back in the early/mid nineties. None of those games were considered Free To Play.

Not going to report anyone, I just think that Steam should probably start a Shareware category - where "Free To Play" or "Prolugues" can be freely shared.
A prologue isn't shareware. Shareware is the first or so episode of the full game. A prologue isn't part of the full game.
Last edited by ReBoot; Oct 7 @ 8:50am
The free-to-play is honestly sort of a problem anyway, because it contains basically multiple types of products:
* entirely free games, i.e. freeware
* entirely free games that let you buy something optionally that doesn't affect gameplay, i.e. donationware
* games that are free to start up but encourage you to make microtransactions to enhance gameplay, i.e. the usual way "free-to-play" gets used
* first chapters or prologues that form the first game in an episodic series, so basically these are like demos
kitt Oct 7 @ 9:24am 
Originally posted by Quint the Alligator Snapper:
The free-to-play is honestly sort of a problem anyway, because it contains basically multiple types of products:
* entirely free games that let you buy something optionally that doesn't affect gameplay, i.e. donationware
* games that are free to start up but encourage you to make microtransactions to enhance gameplay, i.e. the usual way "free-to-play" gets used
* first chapters or prologues that form the first game in an episodic series, so basically these are like demos

and where is the Problem with that?

all those Game are free to play, if people spent money for skins etc that doesnt change the Status of the Game..
Last edited by kitt; Oct 7 @ 9:31am
Originally posted by kitt:

and where is the Problem now?
When someone wants to find any subset of these, but not the others.
kitt Oct 7 @ 9:39am 

again all of those are F2P.. the User isnt forced to buy ingame stuff.. why do people create problems where are none...
Last edited by kitt; Oct 7 @ 9:40am

And where people classify the games under is entirely up to each individual's understanding of the terms.

These prologue type games are entirely, completely free to play and they are full games. Some are indeed prologues to the main game's story, others are only tangents.
Where would you categorize https://steamcommunity.com/app/845070 under? Where would you put https://store.steampowered.com/app/311340/METAL_GEAR_SOLID_V_GROUND_ZEROES/ Which is in all regards a "prologue", but you have to pay for it.
Where would you put Silent Hills PT?
Where is the line between microtransactions and "donate a coffee" with token items type of transactions?
Originally posted by cinedine:

They ARE free, full games.
They ARE NOT shareware.

Shareware is a trial version either by time or by functionality that can be upgraded to a full version.

The "new" prologues are full games of smaller scope that tie in with their main game.

aka a demo , its dont matter how you wrape the package, its still the same old thing.
Originally posted by InnerPhoenix:
aka a demo , its dont matter how you wrape the package, its still the same old thing.
So should we also stop showing games 1 and 2 if there too much alike?
I mean then you can say that 1 is just a demo for 2 so it should not then be marked as its own game when number 2 comes out?

Or is that not like that, and if not what is changing the line here between one and the other?
Originally posted by Black Blade:
Originally posted by InnerPhoenix:
So should we also stop showing games 1 and 2 if there too much alike?
I mean then you can say that 1 is just a demo for 2 so it should not then be marked as its own game when number 2 comes out?

Or is that not like that, and if not what is changing the line here between one and the other?

huh ? games 1 and 2 if they are alike ? what ? where is your logic ? im talking about demos not games , sorry wrong thread bruh. you try to make an argument using patched together words and thoughts and they just aint flowing dude. try again.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 99 comments
Per page: 15 30 50