Platinum Kraken 11. juli 2013 kl. 16.35
Why No Bioshock On Steam For Mac?
I understand Infinite, as there isn't a Mac version yet (currently in development). What I don't understand is why, even though there are Mac versions of one and two, does Steam not sell them? This kind of oversight feels like they are slighting Steam for Mac customers.
< >
Viser 115 av 18 kommentarer
Pocket 11. juli 2013 kl. 17.03 
It's not oversight. It's a common practice. Here's how it works: If a game developer doesn't make their own Mac version, which is most of the time, they hire it out to a third party. The port development is almost never work-for-hire; instead, the porting company demands a cut of all sales of the Mac version. With a system like SteamPlay, there is no "Mac version" that is purchased separately from the Windows version, so they have no way of telling which version was actually bought.

Also, I imagine that the existence of the Mac App Store makes the benefit to having a Mac game be on Steam, or any other download service, negligible. If a customer hasn't bought in to the whole App Store mentality by now, the odds are pretty good that they don't still own a Mac.
Sist redigert av Pocket; 11. juli 2013 kl. 17.04
Deyvonn 11. juli 2013 kl. 17.38 
I believe that Mac games ported from Feral Interactive (Such as Bioshock 1 & 2 and Borderlands 1) Do not make it to the steam market as a mac version. On the other hand, like Borderlands 2 was ported over to Mac by Aspyr, they do have them available to Mac Steam users. Sorry about that, Hope this helps.
Pocket 11. juli 2013 kl. 17.47 
Gearbox probably insisted on proper Steam integration and had to fork over extra money for that arrangement. Most Aspyr games have the same problem as Feral's.
Platinum Kraken 11. juli 2013 kl. 18.03 
All responses are disappointing but insightful. I appreciate it.
mitchell 11. juli 2013 kl. 20.26 
I do wish Valve could work out agreements with these companies.
Sist redigert av mitchell; 11. juli 2013 kl. 20.26
Platinum Kraken 11. juli 2013 kl. 20.52 
You and me both, brother.
Jeaz 12. juli 2013 kl. 2.07 
Gordon explained things quite well.

The problem with the Mac App Store, is that if they game uses Steam for multiplayer, you can't play mp versus PC users.

There are 3 major developers when it comes to porting games to PC.
Transgaming* - almost gone now, long time since they had a new major product. Most of their ports where sold at Steam.
Feral Interactive - in the past, none of their ports have made it onto Steam. But with X-Com, it actually supports SteamPlay on Steam, so maybe times are changing.
Aspyr - Most, but not all, of their ports make it to steam.

In the case if Infinity, its ported by Aspyr, but theres no official word on if it'll be sold on Steam.

* Yeah, i know, its not really ports, but for the sake of this discussion, it doesnt matter.
Niernen 13. juli 2013 kl. 22.51 
Opprinnelig skrevet av LagSlayer:
I believe that Mac games ported from Feral Interactive (Such as Bioshock 1 & 2 and Borderlands 1) Do not make it to the steam market as a mac version. On the other hand, like Borderlands 2 was ported over to Mac by Aspyr, they do have them available to Mac Steam users. Sorry about that, Hope this helps.

It really depends on who the original developer is, and who the porter is. Aspyr, for example, is really good about Mac porting and open with Seam. Feral is not as much, but they do have Steam games (XCOM, for one). For Bio 1 and 2, it might be that 2k didn't want Feral to put it on Steam, but they're fine with Aspyr. Who knows, really.
Lok'tar Ogar 14. juli 2013 kl. 1.36 
G:tradingcard:
Glorious Leader 14. juli 2013 kl. 8.27 
Feral did put XCOM on Steam recently - it's the first time they've ever done this so it's a great sign for the future. However, their policy is to not put games on Steam--hopefully XCOM convinces them to change this mentality. Aspyr didn't used to but now does more than not. It's starting to change, but as said above, it's a rights issue. Going back to Bio1 and 2 would likely require them to renegotiate with 2K which is probably not worth it to either party.
Pocket 14. juli 2013 kl. 13.07 
And in either case, BioShock 2 would have to be overhauled before its multiplayer would be able to allow cross-platform play. I'm guessing it currently uses Game Center?
Hannes 14. juli 2013 kl. 13.33 
not neccesary..
Sist redigert av Hannes; 14. juli 2013 kl. 13.33
The Master Shake 14. juli 2013 kl. 14.32 
I would think it has to do with publication rights and such. I know Borderlands, Bioshock and Bioshock 2 (as we;; as others - like Lego games) have Mac versions through Apple's App Store, but not available on Steam. I don't know the reason, but I would think there has to be something in the rights of distribution. Aspyr has worked hard to provide Mac versions on Steam, but so far, only a few have been available. I'm still waiting for the Batman games.
MisterCheesio 14. juli 2013 kl. 20.48 
Yeah, they should totally port Infinite to mac. How hard could it be?
Seriously...:dealwithit:
Arroz con Leche 3. jan. 2014 kl. 11.19 
Games ported by Aspyr get on steam,Such as Borderlands 2 and BIoshock infinite.
< >
Viser 115 av 18 kommentarer
Per side: 1530 50

Dato lagt ut: 11. juli 2013 kl. 16.35