lenkazav Mar 23, 2018 @ 1:38am
Steam requires a case-insensitive filesystem
Suddenly Steam stopped working and when I try to open it I get a message that says that Steam requires a case-insensitive filesystem. I tried googling the issue, but the only posts on this topic that I found were from 2010-2014. It seems that it was a common issue back when Steam was just starting on mac, but it shouldn't be a problem now. I didn't do anything unusual that could've caused the problem: one night it works, next morning it doesn't. The only thing I did do that day was updated Origin (don't know if it could've had any effect). I tried restarting and reinstalling Steam but it didn't help.
< >
Showing 31-45 of 45 comments
Kirin Jul 23, 2018 @ 7:58pm 
Originally posted by Dcombs:
Anyone heard any info when this will be fixed?

VALVE said they would NOT fix it when I contact them.
However, you also can have a try, maybe they would change their mind when a lot of people do that.
Last edited by Kirin; Jul 23, 2018 @ 7:58pm
olajose30 Aug 22, 2018 @ 8:20pm 
interesante... si ahuevo :v
jamsilver Sep 1, 2018 @ 4:43am 
Originally posted by Jail Bird:
So, if you're still on HFS+, you'll need to follow the steps in my previous post. However, if you're on APFS now, then it's slightly easier! Assuming you don't have Steam installed yet:

$ mkdir ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam
$ diskutil apfs addVolume disk1 APFS Steam
$ ln -s /Volumes/Steam ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam

And you're done! Install Steam like normal. No dealing with making a .dmg and having to worry about guessing on a size!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this. It didn't work for me until I moved the Steam.app to the drive as well. So, this is (approximately) what I ended up with:

$ diskutil apfs addVolume disk1 APFS Steam $ mv /Applications/Steam.app /Volumes/Steam/Steam.app $ ln -s /Volumes/Steam/Steam.app /Applications/Steam.app $ mv ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam /Volumes/Steam/Library $ ln -s /Volumes/Steam/Library ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam

Ran Steam from the Applications folder (or Spotlight) and it worked straight away. Phew.
OdNua Sep 10, 2018 @ 10:07am 
Originally posted by jamsilver:
So, if you're still on HFS+, you'll need to follow the steps in my previous post. However, if you're on APFS now, then it's slightly easier!

I thank u, for u have saved my from misery and now I finally know what the f* was needed to make that APFS work with steam :steamfacepalm:
PrvtRyan Nov 24, 2018 @ 3:05am 
So, if you're still on HFS+, you'll need to follow the steps in my previous post. However, if you're on APFS now, then it's slightly easier! Assuming you don't have Steam installed yet:

And you're done! Install Steam like normal. No dealing with making a .dmg and having to worry about guessing on a size!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this. It didn't work for me until I moved the Steam.app to the drive as well. So, this is (approximately) what I ended up with:

$ diskutil apfs addVolume disk1 APFS Steam $ mv /Applications/Steam.app /Volumes/Steam/Steam.app $ ln -s /Volumes/Steam/Steam.app /Applications/Steam.app $ mv ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam /Volumes/Steam/Library $ ln -s /Volumes/Steam/Library ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam

Ran Steam from the Applications folder (or Spotlight) and it worked straight away. Phew.

This worked like a charm! Thanks!
bsehri Feb 1, 2019 @ 9:14pm 
nothing is working for me guys I tried everything this is so stupid
Rokkazzz Feb 19, 2019 @ 9:47am 
Another workaround. Open Disk Utility, go to File->New Image->Blank Image. Put "Steam" under "Save As" and "Name", change the Size to however much all of your games will take (eg, 100 GB or so), and make sure Format is set to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". I put mine under my home directory, but you can put it anywhere, just remember where!

Once done, open a Terminal window. Do something like:

$ open ~/Steam.dmg (change the path as needed)
$ cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam
$ pax -rw -pe . /Volumes/Steam/
$ cd ..
$ rm -rf Steam
$ diskutil eject disk2 (You might have to change the 'disk2', or just eject using Finder)

From now on, you can do:

$ hdiutil attach ~/Steam.dmg -mountroot ~/Library/Application\ Support (again, change the .dmg path as needed)

Before you run Steam, and you're golden! This is annoying and isn't as easy as using another drive, but at least you don't have to use another drive!

I don't get why this is so hard for Valve to fix. Steam works fine on Linux, and Linux isn't case insensitive!

** Fixed typo, thanks Ienkazav!!! ***

Hey I have tried to follow your instructions as far as I understand but I dont't really get the Terminal part, could you try to help me to get further? I really wanna solve this steam issue :D
kathrynhlewis May 24, 2019 @ 5:46am 

This worked for me, in combination with a suggestion elsewhere to:

- go to applications/steam
- right click on steam and click "show package contents"
- click contents/macOs/steam_osx

This then opens steam in the terminal, installs the updates and launches it.

Thanks all for help with this!
Ive tried everything yall have said on here, and sadly, its not working at all for me : (
wibu.wibu.wibu Jul 1, 2019 @ 11:06am 

This help me install steam app on different partition but not fix the missing font & image issue in my Mojave 10.14.5.

Because the missing font, i can't move the steam library to other partition.
Just create the Steam partition on the disk you want to. See disk utils and click the partition you want, then see devices: diskXsY -> diskX is what you want.

$ diskutil apfs addVolume diskX APFS Steam # do the same command above

To circumvent the missing font, you can use the Big Picture mode -_-

Bachsau Aug 18, 2019 @ 4:19pm 
Could people please just stop buying games from steam if at all possible? Most non-valve games have alternative ways of distribution and Valve has proven many times that it doesn't care about its customers. The steam client itself did not get any significant updates for years. Stop whining, start acting. I expect nothing from Valve anymore.
cSg|mc-Hotsauce Aug 18, 2019 @ 7:07pm 
Originally posted by Bachsau:
Could people please just stop buying games from steam if at all possible? Most non-valve games have alternative ways of distribution and Valve has proven many times that it doesn't care about its customers. The steam client itself did not get any significant updates for years. Stop whining, start acting. I expect nothing from Valve anymore.

The MAC client is now 64-bit. The new Chat UI was added last year. The new Library UI is still in the works.

:qr:
N8ey Aug 30, 2019 @ 3:15pm 
Originally posted by Bachsau:
Yeah, that's not even close to helpful or useful. I like Steam, I like the games I've already bought. But just "don't buy anything" doesn't help if you've already spent alot of money, and you like what you've bought. And they have updated continually, like cSg|mc-Hotsauce said.

Don't piss in the wind and call it rain.
Originally posted by littggr:
From now on, you can do:

$ hdiutil attach ~/Steam.dmg -mountroot ~/Library/Application\ Support (again, change the .dmg path as needed)

To make startup a little simpler, you can make a bash script living on your desktop that contains:

#!/bin/bash
hdiutil attach ~/Steam.dmg -mountroot ~/Library/Application\ Support
open -a Steam

double click and it opens Steam, same .dmg path change might be needed.

Another workaround. Open Disk Utility, go to File->New Image->Blank Image. Put "Steam" under "Save As" and "Name", change the Size to however much all of your games will take (eg, 100 GB or so), and make sure Format is set to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". I put mine under my home directory, but you can put it anywhere, just remember where!

Once done, open a Terminal window. Do something like:

$ open ~/Steam.dmg (change the path as needed)
$ cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam
$ pax -rw -pe . /Volumes/Steam/
$ cd ..
$ rm -rf Steam
$ diskutil eject disk2 (You might have to change the 'disk2', or just eject using Finder)

From now on, you can do:

Before you run Steam, and you're golden! This is annoying and isn't as easy as using another drive, but at least you don't have to use another drive!

I don't get why this is so hard for Valve to fix. Steam works fine on Linux, and Linux isn't case insensitive!

** Fixed typo, thanks Ienkazav!!! ***
THANKS A LOT !!! YOU SAVED MY LIFE, I WASN'T LIVING WELL WITHOUT FOOTBALL MANAGER !!
.yhj
< >
Showing 31-45 of 45 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Mar 23, 2018 @ 1:38am