incel Oct 9, 2019 @ 12:24pm
MAC OS mojave not allow permission to steam to use microphone
I cant add steam into security and privacy to use microphone. Discord works, other apps works fine. Just steam doesnt show up. I tried things with terminal, to reset the permission but isnt working. Can I add steam manually to use my mic??
Originally posted by Willaien:
https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/ay9o4s/how_to_fix_voice_chat_in_macos_mojave/

So. After reviewing, you can follow those instructions, but substitute the following commands:
sudo sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db "INSERT or REPLACE INTO access VALUES('kTCCServiceMicrophone','com.valvesoftware.steam',0,1,1,NULL,NULL,NULL,'UNUSED',NULL,0,1551892126);"

/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add NSMicrophoneUsageDescription string" /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/Info.plist

/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :NSMicrophoneUsageDescription Using voice chat" /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/Info.plist

Edit: to future proof this post a bit, you have to run csrutil disable from recovery mode, then reboot before running these. after you're done, run csrutil enable from recovery mode.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 59 comments
Willaien Oct 9, 2019 @ 12:40pm 
find the steam executable, open up privacy, browse to microphone, click the unlock button, drag and drop the executable onto the privacy window
Last edited by Willaien; Oct 9, 2019 @ 12:42pm
incel Oct 9, 2019 @ 12:44pm 
find the steam executable, open up privacy, browse to microphone, click the unlock button, drag and drop the executable onto the privacy window
i cant drag and drop into that...
incel Oct 9, 2019 @ 12:49pm 
if u can do this show me, cause i cant drag and drop anything into it, i tried...like in old macOS version
Willaien Oct 9, 2019 @ 12:59pm 
bah, apparently catalina doesn't let you drag into that particular permission screen, sorry wasn't at my mac to test the instructions. sounds like steam is going to need to make some changes, unless you can disable that setting.
incel Oct 9, 2019 @ 1:02pm 
bah, apparently catalina doesn't let you drag into that particular permission screen, sorry wasn't at my mac to test the instructions. sounds like steam is going to need to make some changes, unless you can disable that setting.
im not on catalina, im on mojave. The popup to allow permission doenst appear only with steam. It popped up with discord, telegram, google chrome but not with steam. Is a steam problem i think
Willaien Oct 9, 2019 @ 1:14pm 
yeah, it is. starting with mojave, apps cannot use your microphone without asking for permission first.
If you're on a relatively recent iMac or Macbook, your machine has a t2 chip that, starting with Mojave, is used to enforce those permissions, even for apps that use legacy interfaces. It's on steam to fix.
◬Smelt◬ Oct 9, 2019 @ 1:22pm 
I have the same problem, after clean install MacOS Catalina. The popup to allow permission window does not appear. When I upgraded from Mojave (where steam had no problem) to Catalina betta, everything worked fine, but problem present after Installing clear Catalina.
incel Oct 9, 2019 @ 1:31pm 
I found this on reddit, but it is for league of legends. Im asking if we can do that line command but instead of riotgames etc with steam...But i dont know...If u try it pls let me know ( i tried it on lol and it works actually, because neather lol allows u permission to the mic)

https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/ay9o4s/how_to_fix_voice_chat_in_macos_mojave/
Last edited by incel; Oct 9, 2019 @ 1:32pm
Willaien Oct 9, 2019 @ 1:38pm 
When I get off work, I can explore this - I'll have to figure out what the ID is for steam - looks like I can query the system database for that info.
incel Oct 9, 2019 @ 1:41pm 
When I get off work, I can explore this - I'll have to figure out what the ID is for steam - looks like I can query the system database for that info.
Waiting for u man, if u can help me it wuold be appreciated
Last edited by incel; Oct 9, 2019 @ 1:42pm
The author of this thread has indicated that this post answers the original topic.
Willaien Oct 9, 2019 @ 2:58pm 

So. After reviewing, you can follow those instructions, but substitute the following commands:
sudo sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db "INSERT or REPLACE INTO access VALUES('kTCCServiceMicrophone','com.valvesoftware.steam',0,1,1,NULL,NULL,NULL,'UNUSED',NULL,0,1551892126);"

/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add NSMicrophoneUsageDescription string" /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/Info.plist

/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :NSMicrophoneUsageDescription Using voice chat" /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/Info.plist

Edit: to future proof this post a bit, you have to run csrutil disable from recovery mode, then reboot before running these. after you're done, run csrutil enable from recovery mode.
Last edited by Willaien; Oct 9, 2019 @ 6:05pm
incel Oct 9, 2019 @ 5:52pm 

Thanks so much for the help dude, it works! I rellay appreciate it. I hope is usefull to other ppl with the same problem!!
ニキータ Oct 17, 2019 @ 7:52am 

Thank you bruh, it's awesome!
Wesley Snipes Oct 18, 2019 @ 1:13pm 
it keeps telling me:

"Set: Entry, ":NSMicrophoneUsageDescription:", Does not exist

any ideas?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 59 comments
Per page: 15 30 50