waturmelone Aug 31, 2012 @ 1:45am
Your own level
How many of you guys have made a whole level that is actually loaded on a server right now? And have anybody tried to make a mvm_level? Because the Valve ones are getting boring with time.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
SakeJake Aug 31, 2012 @ 2:58am 
I'm trying to make mvm_map, I'm just bad at designing...
Try decompiling one of valve maps, extract one of their maps (team fortress 2 content.gcf>tf>maps), and then use VMEX to decompile the bsp file. Only thing left is to explore the level in hammer to see the mechanics, try to copy the mvm entities from decompiled map to you map and just mess until you will get positive effect.
waturmelone Aug 31, 2012 @ 5:49am 
Originally posted by Jacol:
Try decompiling one of valve maps, extract one of their maps (team fortress 2 content.gcf>tf>maps), and then use VMEX to decompile the bsp file. Only thing left is to explore the level in hammer to see the mechanics, try to copy the mvm entities from decompiled map to you map and just mess until you will get positive effect.

Yea, I though about this too, but man, I am way to lazy for that.
Nacimota Aug 31, 2012 @ 8:06am 
That is so unnecessary. There are example maps out there to demonstrate the inner workings of different gametypes. For MvM, there's mvm_example which is included in the Source SDK.
jonno Aug 31, 2012 @ 2:27pm 
Ive made a trade map in the theme of minecraft, I know, another minecraft map but its easy to get textures and the hardest part is textures :/
waturmelone Sep 1, 2012 @ 12:07pm 
Originally posted by Globular:
Nothing special. I might get into mapping again with the release of CS:GO.

CS:GO is already released...
16-Bit Yeti Sep 1, 2012 @ 6:56pm 
Originally posted by Rag3Qu1t ☭:

Yea, I though about this too, but man, I am way to lazy for that.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Getting_Started
waturmelone Sep 2, 2012 @ 2:08am 
Originally posted by CV Lex:

What is the point of your post? I know how to start the Hammer Editor...

Originally posted by Nacimota:
That is so unnecessary. There are example maps out there to demonstrate the inner workings of different gametypes. For MvM, there's mvm_example which is included in the Source SDK.

Thanks for that hint, after I refreshed the SDK Content it was there :D
16-Bit Yeti Sep 2, 2012 @ 10:18am 
Originally posted by Rag3Qu1t ☭:

What is the point of your post? I know how to start the Hammer Editor...

Originally posted by Nacimota:

Thanks for that hint, after I refreshed the SDK Content it was there :D

The link on the bottom of the page links you to a page on how to make your first map, i guess you missed it.

Here's a more specific link: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Your_First_Map
waturmelone Sep 2, 2012 @ 10:33am 

The link on the bottom of the page links you to a page on how to make your first map, i guess you missed it.

Here's a more specific link: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Your_First_Map

Uh, I know how to make one and I already did, I just wanted to know who else is into levelmaking.

Hedgepig23 Sep 3, 2012 @ 2:42pm 
To be honest, I think we all know the basics of mapping? It's when you get further in and try new things where it gets hard... For example, I find it hard to do cities, it's easy to mark out roads, outlines of buildings, changing geometry etc. but when it comes to actually doing the buildings, that's where I'm stuck, I can't stand making un-enterable buildings, when I map, it is as realistic as my computer can stand. The outside isn't bad, you could just copy a design from a picture, but it's the interiors that get me.
Tips anyone?
(I am a HL2 mapper)
Last edited by Hedgepig23; Sep 3, 2012 @ 2:43pm
16-Bit Yeti Sep 3, 2012 @ 3:35pm 
Originally posted by Hedgepig23:
To be honest, I think we all know the basics of mapping? It's when you get further in and try new things where it gets hard... For example, I find it hard to do cities, it's easy to mark out roads, outlines of buildings, changing geometry etc. but when it comes to actually doing the buildings, that's where I'm stuck, I can't stand making un-enterable buildings, when I map, it is as realistic as my computer can stand. The outside isn't bad, you could just copy a design from a picture, but it's the interiors that get me.
Tips anyone?
(I am a HL2 mapper)

When working on the insides of buildings have a focus point. In hotels try to put the focus around the front desk, in shops try to put focus on mannequins and certain items on display.

[Slight Spoilers for Half Life 2 Episode 2]

For example, in half-life 2 episode 2 when you enter the bunker base, the emphasis is on the small group of people talking. Everything else in that area is simplistic (except for maybe the guys with crates behind the fence). Also note the emphasis on the door to the next area.

Good level design is having your player subconciously focus on the deliverance of a room rather than what is entirely in the room.

Gabe has talked about how in Portal 2 they put alot of thought into how to guide the player through an area without actually hinting away too much. Otherwise keep it simple, basic designs can work great (i.e. Episode 2 the room with the corpse and its shotgun when you're travelling with vorti).
Benk #343 Sep 4, 2012 @ 12:23pm 
I started work on a Koth map for Tf2 about a month ago, worked on it for 2 days, but with TF2 maps it needs testing with actual people, not just bots, so might go back to optimise and finalise it if I get it up on a server and tested properly.

Link if your curious: http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=5191
i just do a privatee server and yes it does tedn to get boring unless you add bots =D
I know A lot about Source i have tried to make a mvm map i know how to make the Credit machine but not and thing else and when i do make one what should my map be...
< >
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
Per page: 1530 50