All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
syph3r (Banned) Feb 23 @ 12:38pm
thought on darknet
Is a VPN+TOR Browser decent enoughsecurity toexplore this dark net? I was hoping to watch some tutorials ect , thought i'd see if any master script kiddies in the PC Master Race have any input:deadm_inside:
Last edited by syph3r; Feb 23 @ 12:58pm
Originally posted by Azza ☠:
Depends what part you are talking about...

There's the Deep Web - which includes Research Papers, Academic, Medical, Scientific, Legal, Financial and even Government Resources. That actually makes up for 90% of the entire Internet.

You could, for example, look up the declassified documents of Area 51 by the CIA and figure out the truth was it housed Spy Drones and Pilot-free Aircraft development. Being top secret at the time, they just let the public assume as they wanted into Aliens and UFOs. Hollywood made up all the rest. The fact was 90% of all reports and photos taken was actually their test flights and even invading other countries air space for spying purposes. Some places, such as Iran, even had them shoot down.

As for the Dark Web - that's the illegal side with mostly scams, stolen data on the black market, drugs, hackers, political protests or terrorism, etc. Understand with script kiddies is the hacker who programmed it normally infects their tools as well, so they can access or bounce attacks off the wannabee hackers. 90% of script kiddies are being used by the professional hackers, specially if it's a ddos tool, etc. So it's a good way to get yourself infected and your PC become part of a zombie network.

Also for the rest, quite a lot of that is just bait. They will offer you something illegal, such as a Hitman for hire, guns or drugs, etc, to pay for with Bitcoin or similar. Then they don't deliver. It's not like you can complain about it. A hacker will come along and make them into a play toy to trace and destroy sooner or later, but apart from that it's an assumed easy scam. Payment methods, including Bitcoin, are able to be traced, so it's not as anonymous as many assume.

Just a fair warning.
< >
Showing 16-30 of 48 comments
syph3r (Banned) Feb 23 @ 12:54pm 
Originally posted by ṼṏẌṏḭḊ:
Stay away from the dorknet.
? why
worse Feb 23 @ 12:54pm 
Originally posted by Darkie:
Originally posted by =CrimsoN=:
It's not what you think.

Most sites are scams or encrypted. Others are just message boards that don't show up in conventional search engines.

Indeed.. In many ways, he might as well go on IRC, if it is.. hmm.. various forms of chat he wants, I use it for my D&D ie.
He should definitely join IRC channels full of cybersecurity experts. For fun and profit.
Darkie Feb 23 @ 12:54pm 

Indeed.. In many ways, he might as well go on IRC, if it is.. hmm.. various forms of chat he wants, I use it for my D&D ie.

Never thought to use chat for D&D. That's actually pretty damn smart.

Well... we debate all kinda of weird stuff, albeit... the chan is pretty dead now.. but back in the 90´s it was great... so was various other chats (and no not just dating and stuff)
Even gaming was a huge part of IRC.. the Quakenet server was the hub for most of that ofc.
syph3r (Banned) Feb 23 @ 12:55pm 

Never thought to use chat for D&D. That's actually pretty damn smart.

Well... we debate all kinda of weird stuff, albeit... the chan is pretty dead now.. but back in the 90´s it was great... so was various other chats (and no not just dating and stuff)
Even gaming was a huge part of IRC.. the Quakenet server was the hub for most of that ofc.
i used to get down with IRC bat in the day, I think i was using NETZERO + ICQ
syph3r (Banned) Feb 23 @ 12:56pm 
Originally posted by SNORE!:

He should definitely join IRC channels full of cybersecurity experts. For fun and profit.
so this IRC channel can be connected and ran via TOR with safest security settings selected? (as i wont use any scripts etc )
Last edited by syph3r; Feb 23 @ 12:56pm
Darkie Feb 23 @ 12:56pm 

We also had an entire # dedicated to ASCII art. That was pretty popular in the 90´s along with what the young generation call memes today...

"A fun story" New generation people on the Dark Net, actually think that #Quakenet is a modern thing about the new Quake game... because you know... they think they invented #

:steamfacepalm::steamfacepalm::steamfacepalm::steamfacepalm::steamfacepalm:
VPNs and TOR are totally different protocol schemas.

But then, "dark net" is just a non-specific popular buzzword/scare word.

We also had an entire # dedicated to ASCII art. That was pretty popular in the 90´s along with what the young generation call memes today...

"A fun story" New generation people on the Dark Net, actually think that #Quakenet is a modern thing about the new Quake game... because you know... they think they invented #

I don't know if I hate people who call it a "poundsign" or people who call it a "hashtag" more.

It's called an OCTOTHORPE.
worse Feb 23 @ 12:59pm 

I miss ASCII art. One of my finest achievements as a teenager was creating an ASCII art Shrek.
syph3r (Banned) Feb 23 @ 12:59pm 

I love ASCII art! :steamthumbsup:
Darkie Feb 23 @ 1:01pm 
Originally posted by Crosseyed Mie:

I don't know if I hate people who call it a "poundsign" or people who call it a "hashtag" more.

Rofl... I reckon most people goes with the latter now a days :/

I miss ASCII art. One of my finest achievements as a teenager was creating an ASCII art Shrek.

I had some real creative ones as well... I miss the "good old days"... I reckon I have become my father...

Anyway.. let me know if you wanna debate some D&D over Roger Wilco

I had some real creative ones as well... I miss the "good old days"... I reckon I have become my father...

D&D people call an asterisk a "splat." I'll pass.
Darkie Feb 23 @ 1:07pm 

That is a very harsh attack... but I forgive you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40AcSRNFG1A

Anyway OT.

Just go IRC if it is to chat
Else just use TOR.
Last edited by Darkie; Feb 23 @ 1:08pm

I think we'll pass on what slang certain communities use for certain things in general.
syph3r (Banned) Feb 23 @ 1:13pm 

That is a very harsh attack... but I forgive you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40AcSRNFG1A

Anyway OT.

Just go IRC if it is to chat
Else just use TOR.
:steamthumbsup:

thanks was getting kind of lost for a bit there:oooo_totem:
< >
Showing 16-30 of 48 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
Date Posted: Feb 23 @ 12:38pm