All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
Archform Feb 16, 2021 @ 9:20pm
Would you consider Steam Forums to be unbiased and neutral?
Or do you think the moderators and content creators for steam exude their bias in their forums and content?

Personally having used the forums for the first time starting in 2020 I have only seen blatant bias and for active forums propaganda.

Opinions?
< >
Showing 16-30 of 201 comments
Shiznown Feb 16, 2021 @ 9:59pm 
Originally posted by Gus the Crocodile:
There is no such thing as "unbiased and neutral", and if anyone tells you that's what they are you should be wary of them because they're either naive or actively trying to deceive you.

The forums are constructed as a space that has a bias against a variety of behaviours that are laid out in the rules. Having biases is normal, healthy human behaviour.
Only someone who is against free speech would make a statement such as this. That being stated Steam is a platform and has the right to moderate as they see fit.
Last edited by Shiznown; Feb 16, 2021 @ 10:02pm
Gmak2442 Feb 16, 2021 @ 10:00pm 
Look like good forums with no games lol
Shiznown Feb 16, 2021 @ 10:01pm 
The gog forums are actually more lenient than Steam, but I think they have less staff. It's a conflict, because I despise CDPR now but Valve is a better company and privately owned.
Aran Smithy Feb 16, 2021 @ 10:03pm 
Originally posted by Archform:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwSts2s4ba4
No seriously. I burst into laughter. This ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ is far from neutral and unbiased. You made my day OP, made my day.
Last edited by Aran Smithy; Feb 16, 2021 @ 10:04pm

Or do you think the moderators and content creators for steam exude their bias in their forums and content?
Opinions?

You don't WANT the mods to be completely unbiased anyways because that would mean that they're just responding to reports randomly - which I think they sometimes do that anyways, depending on which mod it is and how awake they are.

:uno_sleep: ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ :speech_alert:
:seewhatyoudid::racingwheel: ⠀⠀ :monopoly_car:
Pinky Feb 16, 2021 @ 10:03pm 
Originally posted by Shiznown:
There is no such thing as "unbiased and neutral", and if anyone tells you that's what they are you should be wary of them because they're either naive or actively trying to deceive you.

The forums are constructed as a space that has a bias against a variety of behaviours that are laid out in the rules. Having biases is normal, healthy human behaviour.
Only someone who is against free speech would make a statement such as this. That being stated Steam is a platform and has the right to moderate as they see fit.

Free speech is overrated.

I wouldn't bother participating on a forum that didn't have a basic set of rules in place.
Last edited by Pinky; Feb 16, 2021 @ 10:25pm
Shiznown Feb 16, 2021 @ 10:04pm 
Originally posted by Holografix:
The gog forums are actually more lenient than Steam, but I think they have less staff. It's a conflict, because I despise CDPR now but Valve is a better company and privately owned.
did u just post twice? why don't you just edit your original post to include this one? THIS IS MADNESS!!
I must of hit the wrong button. I went to fix a minor spelling error.
Irene ❤ Feb 16, 2021 @ 10:04pm 
I think moderators are mature readers and writers who can see reasons. They are fair. The so called 'bias" can happen only if there is a lack of understanding.

For example (don't ban me please) there was once a topic made about China banning news. The topic is locked, so it might have sent a message that China is not giving free speech. The topic might be locked because mods might think that China is really doing such a thing and decide not to discuss it.

I'm a Chinese and I wish to be your eye opener on this. Truth is, the banned news is considered a poor junk of work and they did not gain approval to join the TV market in China.

In China, population is heavy and media business competition is extremely fierce. You've seen "America's got talent" and Gordon Ramsay's unique way of insulting contestants. Why would people born in peaceful, beautiful countries do such a thing? This harsh style originated from China's media and they were influenced.

In China's Singing competitions, the judges were so strict that contestants cry. It has happened decades before America's got talent surfaced. In China's news, the reporter will always give their honest bad mouth and critics. For example if they interview a president, the TV host will talk good and bad about that president after an interview. :erune: They are really down to earth and things are all real, no pretenders. Therefore when China news banned something, it is simply because the media company thinks it is a loser's piece of work.

On the forum, when mods ban something, I think it works the same. It is due to poor quality. it is not fruitful, not constructive. Anyone can be banned, even a well respected forum regular.
Last edited by Irene ❤; Feb 16, 2021 @ 10:21pm
Shiznown Feb 16, 2021 @ 10:04pm 
Originally posted by Miss Ann Thrope:

Free speech is overrated.

I wouldn't bother participating on a forum that didn't have a basic set of rules in places.
And so they appear.
Gus the Crocodile Feb 16, 2021 @ 10:06pm 

Only someone who is against free speech would make a statement such as this. That being stated Steam is a platform and has the right do moderate as they see fit.
Not entirely clear what your position is from this. You sound like you're worried about people not supporting "free speech", but then in the next sentence you sound entirely unbothered by people not having free speech here.

It sounds like you're on the money as far as my views go: "free speech", of the absolutist, I-can-say-whatever-I-want-with-no-consequences kind that people usually mean by that phrase, is not a good idea. It's entirely healthy that harmful speech acts attract consequences.
Originally posted by Irene💕:
In China, population is heavy and media business competition is extremely fierce. You've seen "America's got talent" and Gordon Ramsay's unique way of insulting contestants. .
I don't think I've seen Gordon Ramsay in that show.
Shiznown Feb 16, 2021 @ 10:11pm 
Only someone who is against free speech would make a statement such as this. That being stated Steam is a platform and has the right do moderate as they see fit.
Not entirely clear what your position is from this. You sound like you're worried about people not supporting "free speech", but then in the next sentence you sound entirely unbothered by people not having free speech here.

It sounds like you're on the money as far as my views go: "free speech", of the absolutist, I-can-say-whatever-I-want-with-no-consequences kind that people usually mean by that phrase, is not a good idea. It's entirely healthy that harmful speech acts attract consequences.
You can support more than one ideal simultaneously. I support platforms having freedom to moderate, but I also support free speech and platforms not having to worry about trying to be sued or silenced for promoting free speech, especially on their own platform, like what happened with Parlor.
Last edited by Shiznown; Feb 16, 2021 @ 10:13pm
Out Of Bubblegum Feb 16, 2021 @ 10:12pm 
Originally posted by Out Of Bubblegum:
The mods are mostly unbiased. One group of users are the ones that mostly try to push their opinions on everyone.. So they do get threads closed and banned the most.
Curious, isn't communication in general that isn't technical pushing opinions?
Not the kind of pushing I am referring to. I think you know that already. For one example, some one constantly pushing their flat Earth BS as if it is real into conversations. Insulting anyone that does not agree with them as being stupid.
Holografix Feb 16, 2021 @ 10:12pm 
They call it "promoting free speech" now. LMAO

It's entirely healthy that harmful speech acts attract consequences.

Depends on what those consequences are.
Consequences aren't healthy just for the sake of having consequences.
That's how pointless, stupid, feuds happen.

To be honest, as long as people are willing to listen, I think counter-arguments & counter-perspectives are more healthy than unrestrained backlash - which doesn't have to involve any speech at all.

:racingwheel:
Last edited by Kiddiec͕̤̱͋̿͑͠at 🃏; Feb 16, 2021 @ 10:22pm
< >
Showing 16-30 of 201 comments
Per page: 1530 50

All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
Date Posted: Feb 16, 2021 @ 9:20pm