All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
JonB Aug 19, 2017 @ 10:06pm
Are miners killing PC gaming?
I'm going to be in the market for a new GPU soon and I cannot believe what is happening, either GPU's are completely sold out or they cost in excess of 200% of their MSRP from the manufactuer.

With all this crypto currency nonsense going on I am seriously considering not upgrading my system, I'm in the position of not being able to buy what I want because people are abusing technology for non-related profiteering.

How do you guys feel about all of this?
Last edited by JonB; Aug 19, 2017 @ 10:07pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 114 comments
MossyRathalos Aug 19, 2017 @ 10:17pm 
It's dying down, but it's still pretty bad
Wolfey Aug 19, 2017 @ 10:28pm 
Cryptocurrency mining is already dying off. It gets a little less profitable every day, and that trend is irreversible. At the moment you'll actually struggle to pay off a dedicated mining rig within a reasonable timeframe, so if the situation continues to deteriorate pretty soon nobody will be interested.

Just be patient, it'll keel over of it's own accord.
Last edited by Wolfey; Aug 19, 2017 @ 10:29pm
Dr.Shadowds 🐉 Aug 19, 2017 @ 10:36pm 
As long they keep on thinking there profits to be made by buying more, they keep going, but it will die down for a little bit, until the retailers get a mass restock on the GPU's. Right now the hottest tread is Dash, and there are units that are made for mining dash, which some of the miners are mostly focus on trying to get those units. But as long the hashrate is decent on Ethereum, expect more miners to buy more GPU's, as they're displease with the Vega launch.

So your best bet is to save what you can to get the GPU you want, or wait until black friday.
Last edited by Dr.Shadowds 🐉; Aug 19, 2017 @ 10:36pm
knighttime Aug 19, 2017 @ 11:20pm 
is vega gonna be better then anything nvidia has such as the gtx 1080ti?
Dr.Shadowds 🐉 Aug 19, 2017 @ 11:22pm 
Originally posted by knighttime:
is vega gonna be better then anything nvidia has such as the gtx 1080ti?
No, 1080 Ti still top GPU, above that is Titan Xp, also the prices with the Vega GPU's are going you might as well grab the 1080, or the 1080 Ti instead of vega.
Last edited by Dr.Shadowds 🐉; Aug 19, 2017 @ 11:25pm
knighttime Aug 19, 2017 @ 11:28pm 
my friend is gonna custom build me a gaming pc this year i hope i can find a 1080ti. i would go with titan xp but that is wayyyy to expensive
Wolfey Aug 19, 2017 @ 11:30pm 
Originally posted by knighttime:
my friend is gonna custom build me a gaming pc this year i hope i can find a 1080ti. i would go with titan xp but that is wayyyy to expensive

You should create your own thread if you want advice about GPUs.
mtono Aug 19, 2017 @ 11:32pm 
btw: these incredible machines are by far too cheap anyway. a super gfx board like 1080 nvidia is a wealthy thing. i dont need a gfx board every year. and 500$ is nothing for what the things can do. mining is illegal, because no country has that kind of money officially. and: amd can maybe survive through a higher price in the future.
my2ct
Wolfey Aug 19, 2017 @ 11:34pm 
Originally posted by Data:
btw: these incredible machines are by far too cheap anyway. a super gfx board like 1080 nvidia is a wealthy thing. i dont need a gfx board every year. and 500$ is nothing for what the things can do. mining is illegal, because no country has that kind of money officially. and: amd can maybe survive through a higher price in the future.
my2ct

There's no such thing as too cheap.
Dr.Shadowds 🐉 Aug 19, 2017 @ 11:36pm 
Originally posted by Data:
btw: these incredible machines are by far too cheap anyway. a super gfx board like 1080 nvidia is a wealthy thing. i dont need a gfx board every year. and 500$ is nothing for what the things can do. mining is illegal, because no country has that kind of money officially. and: amd can maybe survive through a higher price in the future.
my2ct
1. Mining isn't illegal, unless the government make it so, which most did not do so, they can't really stop it since it's anonymous, and untraceable.
2. The cryptocurrency isn't a real currency, it's traded for real currency, just like if someone trade their car off to someone for $1000, same idea, just that the person makes a offer, and the person giving the bitcoin make the decision if it's worth trading it for what the person offer.
3. AMD Vega gpus will not sell well due a few key reason why you want to get Nvidia gpu instead.
Last edited by Dr.Shadowds 🐉; Aug 19, 2017 @ 11:38pm
Wolfey Aug 19, 2017 @ 11:43pm 
Noob question here, but how does mining actually work? What are people actually doing, and how/why are they getting cryptocurrency tokens for it?
Dr.Shadowds 🐉 Aug 19, 2017 @ 11:50pm 
Originally posted by Wolfıe:
Noob question here, but how does mining actually work? What are people actually doing, and how/why are they getting cryptocurrency tokens for it?
It can be complicated and simple. In short think of it like this, one part of the reason for the value is from what people are willing to offer to buy each coin, base off of that, the more people offer at a higher price the more the value raise to that higher price offering.

Bitcoin is perfect for people who want to try and avoid paying taxes, laundering money, etc... Most people that does this which is why it so high is politicians, corporations, criminals, etc...
Last edited by Dr.Shadowds 🐉; Aug 19, 2017 @ 11:52pm
Wolfey Aug 19, 2017 @ 11:52pm 
I understand what Cryptocurrency is, but how do you "mine" it? Basic economics says that to receive a payment you've got to provide a service - what service are the miners providing?
Dr.Shadowds 🐉 Aug 19, 2017 @ 11:58pm 
Originally posted by Wolfıe:
I understand what Cryptocurrency is, but how do you "mine" it? Basic economics says that to receive a payment you've got to provide a service - what service are the miners providing?
I believe this video can give you a bit of idea how it works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9jOJk30eQs
Wolfey Aug 20, 2017 @ 12:06am 
Originally posted by Dr.Shadowds 🐉:
I believe this video can give you a bit of idea how it works.s

Thank you for indulging my ceaseless curiosity.
Last edited by Wolfey; Aug 20, 2017 @ 12:06am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 114 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
Date Posted: Aug 19, 2017 @ 10:06pm
Posts: 114