The Muppet Surgery Special (Banned) Feb 5, 2016 @ 9:07am
[SOLVED] Need help debugging a.b.c.255 UDP spam (Logitech ARX)
Need some help debugging a.b.c.255 UDP spam I see in Wireshark

I have a network and NAS and I noticed the LAN LED blinking constantly even when it is not in use.

I used Wireshark to locate some UDP spam to a .255 address (broadcast) on my subnet.

I used Follow UDP stream and it is constantly showing my machine NAME and what looks like a 128-bit GUID in braces {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx} constantly in each UDP packet.

I now have the NAS in idle down sleep mode, but my machine is still broadcasting that packet.

Destination: Broadcast (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff)

Any ideas what it is? I searched the registry for the GUID but nothing found.

Source Port: 54915
Destination Port: 54915
Length: 271
Data length: 263

I found this

I have a Logitech KB and mouse and joystick and their drivers, anyway to stop this UDP spam?

I did a netstat -a and found nothing listening on that port.

This is causing my managed switch and NAS to constantly deal with this UDP broadcast spam.

Source of broadcast spam: Logitech ARX

Open Logitech Gaming Software keyboard software
Click settings
Open ARX Control tab
Disable mobile and automatic discovery

Whilst I was doing this, I found another source of broadcast spam

Wireshark filter

eth.addr == ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

DropBox, it broadcasts every 30 seconds a bunch of requests both network wide and subnet wide. I fixed this by going to DropBox Settings-> Bandwidth -> unchecking Enable LAN Sync.

If you see your switch / devices LAN constantly blinking even with inactivity, it most likely is broadcast (destination MAC: ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff) spam on the network. You want to keep this to a minimum. Probably not an issue for most people, but with multiple clients (even on the same machine) it can suck up the bandwidth especially if it becomes a storm.
Last edited by The Muppet Surgery Special; Feb 5, 2016 @ 2:03pm
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
One Cut May 5, 2017 @ 8:50pm 
Thank you for this. I was trouble-shooting my PC, and WireShark found the same spam on both my regular connection and my VirtualBox Host-Only Network (with VirtualBox closed out).:squirtyay:
You are a life saver. I would have spent hours searching for the source of my network spam and this took care of it instantly.

Apart from the thanks, the reason I am posting is to let future people suffering this same fate that the length of the packet is 305 now on my computer.

I don't know if this is because of an update on Logitech's behalf or because of a difference in some other system.

Thanks again!
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
Per page: 15 30 50