Rious Jul 4, 2016 @ 12:20pm
Hardware: Do vibrations from coolers damage pcs?
I just recently bought a high-end laptop with a decent cooling system but I noticed it often heats up whenever I play heavy games for a long time. So I bought a cooler, the strongest one they had in our local store, it works great is very fast and you can really feel the cool and strength of the fan, however given the strength of the fan(s) it also has quite a strong vibration which you can feel just by touching the laptop, it's more or less like a phone vibrating. I'm worried that the vibrations might be causing issues with my laptop because I sometimes experience unresponsive or frozen or even black screens which has never occurred before. My laptop is quite new and isn't even 1 month old, there isn't any software or hardware damage that I know of based on my checks using various software and manual procedures. The weird thing is the screen issues sometimes if not most of the time happen when I'm not playing a game. However when I asked some experts at our local hardware store and even the store from which I bought my laptop from they said that it'd probably be fine because it's just a little vibration and gaming laptops like the one I bought can usually endure that much. My questions are, can vibrations damage a PC's hardware? if yes, is it permanent or just temporary (in a certain perspective), and how intense vibrations can PCs (particularly laptops) take, and should I buy a new cooler? and is it possible for a cooler to be figuratively stronger than the one I have but have minimal vibrations or are fan strength and speed always linked to vibrations?
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
EolSunder Jul 4, 2016 @ 12:25pm 
vibrations like that yes, can damage stuff. That constant shaking can jar loose wires, connections, puts wear and tear on such connections, and with constant vibrations that is constant wear and tear on such things.

Computers are made up of numerous parts, shaking those parts can break things, disconnect things, damage things. If your computer was made to handle constant vibrating like that, they would have made them like that. No it isn't normal. The most a computer should be taking is basic vibrations from the HDD spinning. If your fans are really shaking your computer, id say yes, there is a problem.

Washell (Banned) Jul 4, 2016 @ 12:38pm 
A brand new fan shouldn't vibrate that much. It's poorly balanced or already has a broken bearing. Try contacting the company that makes them to get a verdict, or just outright return it to the store.

Also, I understand the desire to get an answer, but it's still not done to spam your post in each and every forum.
Spawn of Totoro Jul 4, 2016 @ 12:42pm 
NINE KING, keep it to one thread. There is no reason to spam the forums with the question.
Rious Jul 4, 2016 @ 12:46pm 
Yeah sorry about that, for future reference is it okay if I post it in 2 threads/forums? Also, how do I check if it has a broken bearing? I used this cooler in my previous laptop but it was quite thick and I didn't feel much vibrations.
Washell (Banned) Jul 4, 2016 @ 1:22pm 
Originally posted by NINE KING:
Yeah sorry about that, for future reference is it okay if I post it in 2 threads/forums?
1 problem -> 1 thread -> 1 forum.
Originally posted by NINE KING:
Also, how do I check if it has a broken bearing?
It makes a lot of noise, it vibrates, it doesn't spin freely. Sorta depends on the type of bearing too. Which I why I recommended to contact the manufacturer.
Last edited by Washell; Jul 4, 2016 @ 1:22pm
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Jul 4, 2016 @ 12:20pm