VladimirUlyanov- 2018 年 8 月 29 日 上午 2:12
AMD drivers Linux
Hello! Now before I get the ''why are you even using Linux'', or ''AMD is crap on Linux'', let me tell you that
1) I had enough of Windows 10.
2) I know.

So I migrated to Linux Mint 19 (not because Mint is for noobs, I just really enjoy its UI), and now it's about time that I install my AMD gpu, I have a Radeon R5 M330 (I know, I know.. But I don't really game that often), but that specific driver doesn't work on Linux so I downloaded 340 instead.

That doesn't matter, what matters is when I try to install it through the terminal using the sudo command, things go fine until this shows up:

Detected X Server version 'XServer 1.19.6_64a' is not supported. Supported versions are X.Org 6.9 or later, up to XServer 1.10 (default:v2:x86_64:lib32:XServer 1.19.6_64a:none:4.15.0-32-generic:)
Installation will not proceed.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!
引用自 Bad 💀 Motha:
from OMEGA

You don't install drivers from the web. Mint has a build-in tool for installing drivers, he can find it using the search function. If the driver tool says no drivers are available he should use the open source Mesa drivers which are already installed, they should give him better support for the Vulkan API and other stuff then those proprietary drivers anyway..

And that driver he is trying to install is probably made for Ubuntu 16.04 as well.. So that is usually a no-go unless you do tons of terminal hackery.

If he can't do something with the GUI he shouldn't be doing it. He needs to leave the terminal alone unless he is willing to risk breaking his system.

adding
DRI_PRIME=1 %command%
to the Steam game launch options should force it to use the 2nd GPU if it doesn't already.
< >
正在显示第 1 - 15 条,共 23 条留言
Talby 2018 年 8 月 29 日 上午 5:55 
Since Mint 19 is based on Ubuntu 18.04 try this guide[linuxconfig.org], and get the proper driver from here[support.amd.com].

And kudos for trying out linux, I only run windows on my main rig since it supports all my games. I do run it on all my older rigs and basement servers, because linux lol.

Good luck!
VladimirUlyanov- 2018 年 8 月 29 日 上午 7:46 
I will read the guide as soon as I get back to my work station. Thank you for your help!

By the way, gaming on Linux is now more relevant than ever. If you run steam Beta like I do, and enable SteamPlay, you can play almost all your windows games there with no hassle.
Cathulhu 2018 年 8 月 29 日 上午 7:48 
Yeah, it's called WINE. It's not like Valve re-invented the wheel. They just polished it.
VladimirUlyanov- 2018 年 8 月 29 日 上午 7:50 
引用自 Cathulhu
Yeah, it's called WINE. It's not like Valve re-invented the wheel. They just polished it.

Well, it's a fork of wine.. not exactly wine, but that still helps a bunch for us Linux gamers
IceFoxX 2018 年 8 月 29 日 上午 9:15 
btw....amd is best for linux....nvidia is crap for linux because this ♥♥♥♥ closed source driver...
meheezen 2018 年 8 月 29 日 上午 11:30 
hmm... not sure about your GPU, but the kernel integrated drivers work great for my hd7770 and rx470, performance is even better than using the ones provided by amd.com
i'd do a quick check to see if you even need those, it should work out of the box
Fluffy 2018 年 8 月 29 日 下午 1:21 
引用自 meheezen
hmm... not sure about your GPU, but the kernel integrated drivers work great for my hd7770 and rx470, performance is even better than using the ones provided by amd.com
i'd do a quick check to see if you even need those, it should work out of the box

+1 in most cases the mesa driver is actually better performing than the amd-gpu/amd gpu-pro drivers i have tested this myself on my spare pc with a r9 270 with LM 19 mate

most games performed slightly better with default mesa drivers
该讨论串的作者已表示此帖子解答了原先的主题。
Bad 💀 Motha 2018 年 8 月 29 日 下午 6:54 
from OMEGA

You don't install drivers from the web. Mint has a build-in tool for installing drivers, he can find it using the search function. If the driver tool says no drivers are available he should use the open source Mesa drivers which are already installed, they should give him better support for the Vulkan API and other stuff then those proprietary drivers anyway..

And that driver he is trying to install is probably made for Ubuntu 16.04 as well.. So that is usually a no-go unless you do tons of terminal hackery.

If he can't do something with the GUI he shouldn't be doing it. He needs to leave the terminal alone unless he is willing to risk breaking his system.

adding
DRI_PRIME=1 %command%
to the Steam game launch options should force it to use the 2nd GPU if it doesn't already.
最后由 Bad 💀 Motha 编辑于; 2018 年 8 月 29 日 下午 6:55
Harry Gumdropzap 2018 年 8 月 29 日 下午 6:56 
linux is cool there should be more support for it
if there was i wouldve moved to it a long time ago
Fluffy 2018 年 8 月 29 日 下午 10:16 
for what its worth you CAN install amd drivers from the web on linux mint 19 but you have to change the install script using any editor in linux mint and change operating system from "ubuntu" to "linux mint" before running and you have to download the one meant for linux mint 19 underlying ubuntu version which is 18.04 LTS. this is because amd has only supplied the driver to run on ubuntu. i wouldnt call it terminal hackery but it does require a good working knowledge of terminal usage

BUT.. its not necessary and doesnt provide a performance boost in most cases. you should use default linux mint no longer provides proprietary drivers for amd because its not any better unlike the open source vs pro. drivers for nvidia

in your case the r5 m330 is ONLY supported but open source drivers the amd web site driver only supports r5 340 and up
https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-for-Linux-Release-Notes.aspx
最后由 Fluffy 编辑于; 2018 年 8 月 29 日 下午 10:19
x_wing 2018 年 8 月 30 日 上午 4:11 
引用自 Fluffy
for what its worth you CAN install amd drivers from the web on linux mint 19 but you have to change the install script using any editor in linux mint and change operating system from "ubuntu" to "linux mint" before running and you have to download the one meant for linux mint 19 underlying ubuntu version which is 18.04 LTS. this is because amd has only supplied the driver to run on ubuntu. i wouldnt call it terminal hackery but it does require a good working knowledge of terminal usage

BUT.. its not necessary and doesnt provide a performance boost in most cases. you should use default linux mint no longer provides proprietary drivers for amd because its not any better unlike the open source vs pro. drivers for nvidia

in your case the r5 m330 is ONLY supported but open source drivers the amd web site driver only supports r5 340 and up
https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-for-Linux-Release-Notes.aspx

I agree. Also I would point out that for the best gaming performance/compability you should configure a PPA in order to keep Mesa libs updated (Mesa are your open source drivers). I would recommend to use Padoka PPA stable (that's the one that Valve recommends in proton project).

Also, take note of the Omega comment about DRI_PRIME.
最后由 x_wing 编辑于; 2018 年 8 月 30 日 上午 4:12
VladimirUlyanov- 2018 年 8 月 30 日 上午 4:59 
引用自 meheezen

This is not my case actually... my laptop has 2 gpus, an Intel 5500U and an AMD R5... I assume that the Intel is enabled that's why I am getting terrible gameplay...There is no way to download the AMD because of that terminal error..

引用自 Bad_Motha
from OMEGA

adding
DRI_PRIME=1 %command%

Thank you a bunch! I ran the command and the game ran flawlessly! Just a minor question though, do I have to do that for every game and each time I run the games?
最后由 rotNdude 编辑于; 2018 年 8 月 30 日 上午 8:05
x_wing 2018 年 8 月 30 日 上午 5:11 
引用自 FyodorDostoevsky-
引用自 Bad_Motha

Ok you're helping me now... How do I check that my drivers are installed via Mint? And I will try to run that command on steam... but please answer the first question :)

By default you have Mesa libs (strictly speacking, propietary and open source use the same driver). You can get information with this command:

$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
Bad 💀 Motha 2018 年 8 月 31 日 上午 12:06 
Hmmm, is there not a command you could tack onto, within a Steam shortcut that would be forcing the use of the 2nd (dedicated) GPU and thus also make every App/Game launched from Steam Client, automatically use that?

Kind of like how in Windows, launching Steam via the Run As Admin, will run everything that way since it is Steam that is launching it.
x_wing 2018 年 8 月 31 日 上午 4:13 
引用自 Bad_Motha
Hmmm, is there not a command you could tack onto, within a Steam shortcut that would be forcing the use of the 2nd (dedicated) GPU and thus also make every App/Game launched from Steam Client, automatically use that?

Kind of like how in Windows, launching Steam via the Run As Admin, will run everything that way since it is Steam that is launching it.

Not a command, is an environment variable (DRI_PRIME), but this works well only with GPUs that uses Mesa drivers (i.e. AMD & Intel). If you would want to force the use of your second/n_th GPU at a "global level" on Steam, you can start it as:
$ DRI_PRIME=1 steam (the number represent the GPU number to use)

I think that for a notebook is a better approach to make specific configuration for each game, as this will help to save battery (Steam uses GPU acceleration if configured to do so).

Some extra notes:
  1. No game should ever need to run as root (admin) on Linux. There is no reason for a software like a game to require higher privileges.
  2. DRI_PRIME is not only for notebooks. This env is useful for switching acceleration within the GPUs you can have installed.
  3. For Nvidia propietary there is a similar functionality/switcher as in Windows (I think that nvidia was working in order to improve it). More info: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus

More info about PRIME: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME
< >
正在显示第 1 - 15 条,共 23 条留言
每页显示数: 1530 50

发帖日期: 2018 年 8 月 29 日 上午 2:12
回复数: 23