Ця тема закрита
STEAM 2014 Requested Functional Updates By Community
This used to be a place of civil suggestions and conversation. There has been way too much arguing about ideas and at each other that it has made me sick. So like most things that get ruined, all good things must eventually come to an end. Thanks to all that contributed and helped shape Steam into what it is today.
Автор останньої редакції: ManiacMal; 13 жовт. 2014 о 7:28
< >
Показані коментарі 115 із 3,974
I think the main priority should be speed. Steam is slow. Browsing these forums is slow, browsing games in store is slow and awkward (try listing the games, and then viewing one of them, and then returning to same point in the list).

Clicking the store, library, community icons is slow. Viewing my profile is slow. Buying games is slow. Playing games is slow. And no, it is not my computer or internet connection. Steam is slow.

I mean it is only a webpage that I am loading, why does it take several seconds. Other websites open instantly.
Автор останньої редакції: Lostedge; 19 берез. 2013 о 8:49
The servers are slow yes and that is due to all the game hubs, before game hubs I used to zip around no problem, but now it is slower no doubt. Is it terrible? No, I can deal with stuff loading a few seconds slower but it for sure had a performance hit. Nothing adding more servers couldn't fix but probably the cost doesn't justify the means.
If i may add a suggestion:
"Markup of already owned DLC on the Steam Store"

And about the download manager, i think it's a matter of having the all the content through the new content delivery system.
Right I knew I was missing a major one, added, thanks.

The dl manager I would never use but I can't ignore to add it to the list as our friends in other countries deserve this utility. The new delivery system will help but is not the end all to the requests.
"Sub categories to main categories and drop and drag library organization."

Valve stop all other projects even hl3 & get everyone working on making this happen !!!
Цитата допису Hyperion:
I mean it is only a webpage that I am loading, why does it take several seconds. Other websites open instantly.

Other web sites usually don't need to interact with a specific person's database tables, and probably have fewer requests to deal with simultaneously. However, the Steam client does render very slowly. I use Chrome for most of my Steam stuff and the client only for launching games, and there are much fewer slow downs.
Цитата допису Mivo:
Цитата допису Hyperion:

Other web sites usually don't need to interact with a specific person's database tables, and probably have fewer requests to deal with simultaneously. However, the Steam client does render very slowly. I use Chrome for most of my Steam stuff and the client only for launching games, and there are much fewer slow downs.

Thank you. Your post finally pushed me to using a web browser to access Steam Community.

You'll definitely notice a huge performance increase. Using the client for the discussion area is really painful compared to a web browser. (I wonder if it caches properly.)
Цитата допису Mivo:
You'll definitely notice a huge performance increase. Using the client for the discussion area is really painful compared to a web browser. (I wonder if it caches properly.)
I gave up on that long time ago, I use the client almost exclusively for launching (and sometimes buying) games.
For everything else, i just use a browser... which reminds me another suggestion...
TABS!!... Could we please make Steam browser less IE6-ish and more modern? ;)
As much as I appreciate all the social features being added, it's no good if the servers perform so badly that you can't do any of it. Uploading screenshots usually fails, navigating the store and community pages often results in error messages and time-outs. And don't get me started on how bad it is during sales!!!

Edit: As I was typing this, it actually broke down completely. All of my buddies are relogging -_-
Автор останньої редакції: The low-sugar contents of Gerbil; 19 берез. 2013 о 16:26
Hell yeah. The Steam Library interface is terrible. A few years ago, it merely felt behind-the-times. Today, it just feels pathetic. Here are just a few improvements that would make Steam more worthy of 2013:

-drag and drop functionality in library
-being able to execute actions to groups of games using shift-click and ctrl-click
-being able to categorise a game in more than one category at the same time
-giving "downloads" a separate tab
-Allowing us to access frequently accessed features (eg. set category, add to favourites, remove from favourites, display favourites, display installed) using hotkeys, and not just through the time-consuming right-click menu or drop down menus
-Being able to hide games from the library (eg. by creating an "archive" section)
-Being able to quickly sort our game library by criteria such as "most recently played", "percent of achievements completed", "fewest hours played", etc.)

Seriously guys, it's not that hard. Just look at just about any other library software out there (Adobe Bridge for images, iTunes and MediaMonkey for music, Kindle App for books, File Explorer for files) and you'll see a dozen things that everyone else is doing better than Valve. Hell, even Origin is designed more intelligently than Steam in many ways. Yes, even bloody Origin!
Цитата допису davidowski:
Seriously guys, it's not that hard. Just look at just about any other library software out there (Adobe Bridge for images, iTunes and MediaMonkey for music, ...

iTunes for Windows is one of the few widely pieces of software that is worse than the Steam client, though. :P It's really sluggish and doesn't even feel like a Windows program (actually, same applies to the Steam client).
Possibly they could fix issues with existing 'features' like the steam voice chat that only works one way or screenshot uploading that fails.
I thought the primary issue would be a fully functioning offline mode that does not require you to be online to use it -- initially at least, very silly. This has been my primary issue with Steam for some time now, it really is painful to see that it has still not been addressed because really I couldn't give two ♥♥♥♥♥ how the UI looks if I can't play my games if I have a temporary internet outage and have had my computer off before hand.
Цитата допису Tito Shivan:
If i may add a suggestion:
"Markup of already owned DLC on the Steam Store"

And about the download manager, i think it's a matter of having the all the content through the new content delivery system.

Seems like a good idea.
< >
Показані коментарі 115 із 3,974
На сторінку: 1530 50

Опубліковано: 19 берез. 2013 о 8:29
Дописів: 3,974