Mary Virgin Feb 3, 2021 @ 9:12am
Can we have actually proper benefits from Steam points?
Everywhere gaming sites give you reward points for buying and utilize it so you can buy more games cheap, BUT sadly Valve gives us points with no practical use except buy useless profile enhancements, stickers and stuff we don't really need. How about giving us more discounts on existing games using points? I used it last sale to buy emoticons and wallapers of games I owned and sadly found you can neither sell them or even make gems from them. Its most useless reward system frankly.

So what do people do now? Use it for awarding others mutually and make their community profile look better, inflate their standing and scammers use it to look good. Is this the best Valve can come up with? Please consider making points commercially valid else its useless and a thing to absue community awards now. Please take it as constructive feedback and criticism.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 66 comments
No. There's no reason for them to be used for anything other than cosmetics and goofy awards. Those discounts you're clamoring about are no longer tied behind points like before and are just automatically applied to things when applicable.
Snapjak Feb 3, 2021 @ 9:15am 
TotD?
Mary Virgin Feb 3, 2021 @ 9:22am 
Millions will agree to what iI say. Else points are useless.
Snapjak Feb 3, 2021 @ 9:27am 
Let's wait for the millions of replies then.
Last edited by Snapjak; Feb 3, 2021 @ 9:27am
cSg|mc-Hotsauce Feb 3, 2021 @ 9:37am 
They may have a single coupon to redeem for points in a future sale. Outside of sales events, no.

:qr:
Mr. Gentlebot Feb 3, 2021 @ 9:56am 
Originally posted by Mary Virgin:
Disagree.
Steam is not other sites, and there's a reason why they don't do things other sites do.
м Feb 3, 2021 @ 9:59am 

no
cinedine Feb 3, 2021 @ 10:06am 
Everywhere gaming sites give you reward points for buying and utilize it so you can buy more games cheap

Name three.
brian9824 Feb 3, 2021 @ 10:07am 
Aside from maybe Nintendo I can't think of anyone that does what you suggest, so definitely not everywhere as you claim
Gwarsbane Feb 3, 2021 @ 10:25am 
No we don't need to get free or cheaper games with the points.
Gin Feb 3, 2021 @ 10:30am 

So you don't wanna discuss the topic properly and debunk any counterarguments? Basically it can be closed then?
Irene ❤ Feb 3, 2021 @ 10:31am 
When OP claim he wanted discounts, it is fair to disagree as the additional discount will meant games becoming more expensive to cover the cost. However OP shows a good point that is he is not interested in those wallpapers and things. It has been very random, mediocre and bloating. For example, you want to make a serious profile with an avatar of a mature sniper hunter. You get those 3D funny animation and flashy avatar frames follow by a jester reward. Is steam trying to get all the children from fortnite over here?

We should probably not just disagree with OP without providing better suggestions. It means the whole idea wasn't fully discussed and we might have missed an otherwise good constructive topic. On steam points store FAQ "how points work", Valve mention that they are looking into more development with steam points. "We also plan to expand the set of things you can use your points on in the future."

I think it will be nice if our profile can have a mini game. Old forums use to have that, it's call the vbucks store. Players can create a RPG character with steam points, earn XP for that character, and use it to "attack" other profiles a few times a day to earn points. When having enough points the user can get trophies and things. I propose steam to give us profile mini games, so we can have a fun building system to toy with. We already have Salien showcase, why not develop it further and allowing more features with steam points. :erune:
Last edited by Irene ❤; Feb 3, 2021 @ 10:35am
brian9824 Feb 3, 2021 @ 10:45am 
Originally posted by Irene💕:
When OP claim he wanted discounts, it is fair to disagree as the additional discount will meant games becoming more expensive to cover the cost. However OP shows a good point that is he is not interested in those wallpapers and things. It has been very random, mediocre and bloating. For example, you want to make a serious profile with an avatar of a mature sniper hunter. You get those 3D funny animation and flashy avatar frames follow by a jester reward. Is steam trying to get all the children from fortnite over here?

We should probably not just disagree with OP without providing better suggestions. It means the whole idea wasn't fully discussed and we might have missed an otherwise good constructive topic. On steam points store FAQ "how points work", Valve mention that they are looking into more development with steam points. "We also plan to expand the set of things you can use your points on in the future."

I think it will be nice if our profile can have a mini game. Old forums use to have that, it's call the vbucks store. Players can create a RPG character with steam points, earn XP for that character, and use it to "attack" other profiles a few times a day to earn points. When having enough points the user can get trophies and things. I propose steam to give us profile mini games, so we can have a fun building system to toy with. We already have Salien showcase, why not develop it further and allowing more features with steam points. :erune:

Or you just ignore the points. Not every feature is going to appeal to every user.
Crazy Tiger Feb 3, 2021 @ 10:48am 
Originally posted by brian9824:
Aside from maybe Nintendo I can't think of anyone that does what you suggest, so definitely not everywhere as you claim
Doesn't Uplay do something similar? Or was that in the past?
Snapjak Feb 3, 2021 @ 11:16am 
Originally posted by Crazy Tiger:
Originally posted by brian9824:
Doesn't Uplay do something similar? Or was that in the past?
You can use your points (that you get through challenges of all things) to get a discount amongst other things.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 66 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Feb 3, 2021 @ 9:12am