Netaris Jul 6, 2020 @ 2:55pm
Error in french translate
Hi, I've seen some points have been added to some french words by your translate service. I'm here to inform you that this is not correct in french to do that. That kind of writing is used by political activists, who try to change the way we write. I feel offended that Steam allow that kind of activism in it's platform and I want it to be removed.

More precisely, I speak about some words in the friend's menu, where you can read, for exemple : "Gérer la liste d'ami.e.s". In correct french it's "Gérer la liste d'amis", without points. Another example : "Ajouter un.e ami.e.s", in correct french it's "Ajouter un ami". In french, the masculine form is also a sort of general form, it include female by default. So any addition is unecessary.

I hope it will be fixed soon, have a good day.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 143 comments
Remove the dot in the French language
Image of the new big problem :
https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2020/27/5/1593758131-1593673032-inclusif.jpg

I can't read that french heresy and in the French forum we are complaining but no one care so we will buy our game elsewhere until the dot are removed !

Remove these dot now please !
Let me explain better

Last week, french translators decided to edit the translations into what we call the "inclusive writing". Some feminist activists use and promote it, but it was rejected by all the french administrations. We're not against feminism, but the inclusive writing has absolutely no official value, it's not even normalized, you can use it by several manners. It's currently seen as an ideology, something that shouldn't happen on Steam.

Of course, it is an incredibly controversial move. STS rules are clear: translators must follow the french rules. Besides the political controversy, the biggest problem is that it makes the text quite unreadable for a lot of people, including dyslexics and people with other disabilities, because all the words that are differenciated between a masculine and a feminine form are now truncated by middle-dots. French-speaking customers (french, belgians, canadians, etc.) are deeply outraged.
Helios Jul 6, 2020 @ 4:42pm 
Hello,

+1
Maxime Jul 6, 2020 @ 4:45pm 
Yes please, remove this ideological writing.
kakita tatsumaru Jul 6, 2020 @ 4:54pm 
Please, let Steam stay an apolitical place an remove that at once.
Niko Jul 6, 2020 @ 5:02pm 
No politics on steam please...
Lady Youlia Jul 6, 2020 @ 5:26pm 
Hello,

I am dislexic and this " inclusive writing " is really difficult to read for me and I use an extension for Vivaldi who modify some text to remove this kind of writing to be able to read correctly some words. Like the STS rules says, all kind of political and ideologism are forbidden on Steam, this inclusive writing is one of these things.

The person who decided to include those modification did it for his own political and ideologism against the STS rules without asking to anybody else who is against this choice before doing his shady bussiness and choose to be silent because he is too afraid his own modifications will be removed if someone takes some actions to restore the old translation or replaces some words/expressions with better alternatives.
Last edited by Lady Youlia; Jul 7, 2020 @ 5:19am
Sorane Jul 6, 2020 @ 11:57pm 
This "inclusive writing" is probably one of the biggest heresy of those last five years and should not be used at all.
So yes please
ewokbzh0 Jul 7, 2020 @ 12:27am 
+1
Hyodo_Issei Jul 7, 2020 @ 12:50am 
Originally posted by Niko:
No politics on steam please...

That's exactly the point, the french translation team brought politics into a political free platform and we want this to cease, but valve doesn't seem to react and the french community is getting politically abused
Isaiskizo Jul 7, 2020 @ 2:51am 
Yeah, let politic where it should be.
Doomy Jul 7, 2020 @ 4:00am 
+1 I'm not here to see political fanatism I'm here to play !
Dorango Jul 7, 2020 @ 4:09am 
100% agreed.
Ciriak Jul 7, 2020 @ 4:21am 
+1 remove this stupid thing please !
Gredu Jul 7, 2020 @ 9:31am 
Why do I have to hear about politics on steam now ?
Which political party are we supposed to follow to be able to use Steam ? I don't know a lot about political parties in the US, please help me
< >
Showing 1-15 of 143 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jul 6, 2020 @ 2:55pm