This topic has been locked
Falleax Oct 30, 2019 @ 6:04pm
Let us have the old library design back
At least as an option. If it aint broke, don't fix it.
< >
Showing 4,051-4,065 of 6,133 comments
NinjaPlease Nov 11, 2019 @ 8:27am 
I legitimately wouldn't have updated the client If I had to see this gaudy UI in the library anytime I wanted to browse/install a new game. It's just hideous. I've used the comparison before to Windows with the horrendous launch of Win 8 and it's UI, this is Valve's equivalent to it. Do a new update akin to how Win 8.1 was, and let us choose to utilize the old UI.

I don't give a ♥♥♥♥ about random people's screenshots and ♥♥♥♥♥♥ videos. I'm trying to look to see if there's info on the patch notes for my games. Do the people making these decisions even use your platform, let alone play games?
m4dEngi Nov 11, 2019 @ 9:09am 
https://github.com/m4dEngi/steamcclliient

Wrote a tiny little app, it will let you run/install games using web browser without loading whole steam client... probably risking account ban/termination.

My code is garbage, but at least it doesn't spawn 7+ web helpers and tries to eat all available RAM just to launch/install games.
Originally posted by m4dEngi:
https://github.com/m4dEngi/steamcclliient

Wrote a tiny little app, it will let you run/install games using web browser without loading whole steam client... probably risking account ban/termination.

My code is garbage, but at least it doesn't spawn 7+ web helpers and tries to eat all available RAM just to launch/install games.
the better question is why Valve couldn't have figured out to do this themselves
UnKn0wN Nov 11, 2019 @ 9:58am 
I still hate new UI and that won´t change even after a year or 10, they just ruined steam for me.
that´s it.
ruined.
I will now use it the less I can.
congratz.
Originally posted by UnKn0wN:
I still hate new UI and that won´t change even after a year or 10, they just ruined steam for me.
that´s it.
ruined.
I will now use it the less I can.
congratz.
same for me.
Normaly i play every Day on Steam + buy something in every Sale.
But now no more $ from me !
RiO Nov 11, 2019 @ 10:36am 
Originally posted by Gambit-3:
You hate the new layout, that is your right, but saying it's a mobile layout cause it has pictures is a poor argument in my opinion. Nothing about how it works or the flow is like a mobile app.

The new Steam library is using the concept of navigating a shelf (of covers) on the horizontal axis, perpendicular to the normal vertical axis on desktops, using a carousel.

It's a UI/UX pattern that was popularized on mobile phones and tablets which are based on touch interaction.

There the pattern works well, for a number of reasons:
  • Touch devices use swipe based scrolling, which is axis-agnostic. Vertical or horizontal; both work equally well.
  • Touch device scrolling is inertial. The design of a long shelf which you can swoosh through and then quickly pin and halt the scroll when the thing you want to view; open; load; etc. passes by - just works.
  • Phones and tablets have smaller screens, so in general you are concentrating on one or two rows of content. At the very, very most it'll be three. And you'll have maybe 4 items visible per row. I.e. any one volume of data presented at once at any one time will remain digestible.

All of this does NOT hold for desktop devices:
  • Desktops use a mouse with a scroll wheel. This scrolls vertically only and practically all desktop software is geared to that. Key-chords - like holding down [SHIFT] - are needed to switch the wheel to scroll horizontally. These are not well-known and are not universally supported either.
    Explicit previous/next buttons are needed to surface horizontal navigation to most lay users. Developers then fall into the trap of surfacing the navigation only through those buttons, and the result is that it becomes cumbersome and unbearably slow for everyone.
  • As a corollary to the above: scrolling with previous/next buttons works in discrete steps. *click* - *wait* - *click* - *wait* - *click* - etc. All the natural speed and fluidity is dropped from the interface principle like a brick.
  • Lastly, desktops have far more screen real-estate to work with, and so a shelf-based tile/card view will have much, much more data on screen at once. To the point that it becomes hard to locate and focus on that one thing you were searching for. There are also people that can't cope with such information density at a physical level. Information overload; cognitive overload; sensory overload; etc.
    Even dangerous epileptic seizures due to over-stimulation from the wide and overly vibrant palette of varying cover artwork!

So; people are quite justified for hating this UI for it being 'mobile crap' -- even if they can't quite put their finger on the exact reasons...

Last edited by RiO; Nov 11, 2019 @ 11:48am
Supafly Nov 11, 2019 @ 11:18am 
Originally posted by RiO:
*Snip*
+1
Couldn't have said it better myself and definitely not as clean.
Klinsk Nov 11, 2019 @ 11:39am 
When you scroll through the Community pages, the layout is "broken", the pages looks all messed up in your native resolution, and it lags terribly.
Doom Nov 11, 2019 @ 12:57pm 
Look if you...<snip>
I explained it twice to you already, so keep re-reading til you get it.

Have fun.
sku Nov 11, 2019 @ 1:17pm 
Originally posted by John Wick's Foreskin:
Rolling back is like a slam to the face of all people that worked on this new interface. After more testing, ironing and feedback is done they should implement options that allow it to look more compact like the traditional interface.

Steam is constantly updating, a lot people didn't like the changes made before the last interface either until its problems got worked on. Give it a chance.
last interface?
it's been the same for 20 years
obliviondoll Nov 11, 2019 @ 2:08pm 
you hate that it uses 150 or so more megs of ram (after 8 years), that's fine.

Phrase it that way and it sounds like no big deal. But you're missing some important factors here:

1. Baseline use was only around 120 to 180MB for most users. So it's not "oh just this tiny token amount extra" it's "LITERALLY DOUBLE THE MEMORY USE" even assuming you're right about it only ever using 150MB more. And that leads us to...
2. It's not consistent about how much memory it's using any more. I've seen it increase in memory use by around 30MB on my own PC, but on some other PCs I've seen it go from 150-ish to over 1GB in extreme cases with several systems getting 700+ as their MINIMUM possible memory use. Having close to 10x the memory use, even if it's only a few edge cases, is not a minor change. Having more than 5x the memory use as a fairly common standard to expect is absurd for a supposedly "stable" update.
3. Even when it's not massively skyrocketing the memory use, many systems are showing Steam to be actively performing worse than it used to. I'm getting notable delays between clicking games and having their information load, even though the system resource use has barely increased. There's also a MASSIVE stalling effect when switching back to Steam after having been active with another window for any length of time, as if it's a hilariously badly-designed browser that's shifting into an idle state and has issues restoring operations.
4. A fair number of users are also seeing Steam actively wasting CPU cycles. The old interface usually sits at a nice neat 0% CPU usage unless it's actively doing something. Sometimes (slightly more often on older PCs) it'll fluctuate as high as 0.1%, and when you're actively doing things, I've seen it using 0.4% of my i7's total capabilities, with closer to 1% on older or less capable machines. The new interface, for many users (including me), does the same, but I've seen several instances of it using upwards of 10% CPU on higher-spec machines than my own for no good reason. This is another case of more than 10x the resource use, and it's a system resource that a game launcher should NOT be impacting in a meaningful way.
5. There's a consistent, reproducible and repeatedly-verified memory leak that Valve were advised about during beta and have done nothing to reduce or eliminate.

Nothing about how it works or the flow is like a mobile app.

Except the arbitrary delays in spite of not needing unreasonable system resources, the memory leak, and the stalling in the background are all hallmarks of poorly-designed mobile browser interfaces The layout of several major parts of the new library page is strongly reminiscent of the usual aesthetic of mobile interfaces too. But yeah other than literally everything people are comparing to mobile and a few things they weren't, you're right. "Nothing" about it is anything like mobile if we ignore the bits where you're objectively wrong.
Tikrit Nov 11, 2019 @ 2:21pm 
Steam UX
Revert the Library UX to how it was previously.

What on earth are you thinking? I want to see my games in my library, I just want to kick back and play some games after work. I resent having to spend time learning whatever it is that you have done to steam to let me access my games. I have been a loyal customer for many years and spent thousands, but this really is the worst decision I have seen from Valve.

What happened to the mega thread that was in that awful "News" feed on the library page?
< >
Showing 4,051-4,065 of 6,133 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Oct 30, 2019 @ 6:04pm