When downloading a game on steam, my computer freezes.
I have had this problem for some time now and I can't seem to find any actual solutions for it, so here is my problem:

I start downloading a game(in this case Deus Ex: HR but it happens with any game) and Steam begins to download it but every few seconds my computer locks up, preventing me from clicking anything or doing anything except move my mouse around. After being frozen for several moments it starts downloading again but stops after another few seconds. Rinse and Repeat. I have re-installed the Steam client, started as Administrator, and nothing I do seems to help. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. As you can imagine this is very frustrating, especially while trying to download massive games, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
< >
Affichage des commentaires 1 à 15 sur 51
This could be a few things like virus infections, poorly optimized PC, rogue security programs, NIC drivers ect. I think I would start by uninstalling the NIC drivers and load some new ones up. Go to whoever manufactured the NIC to get the best drivers. Windows update uses crap drivers most of the time.
My Laptop is very well optimized, so I know that's not the problem. I don't have any infections, but i'll run another MSE scan to make sure. My internet has been working fine so i'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with my NIC. Steam is the only application I have a problem with downloading.
You internet working fine has nothing to do with overloading your NIC until it freezes your PC. If you are wireless try hooking up with a cable to see if that works better. If it does then look at your wireless NIC. I see so many of them that are trash for anything but surfing the web. Just because you can surf the web does not indicate your NIC is ok at all. It just means it is not 100% dead.
Dernière modification de Facedown; 18 juil. 2013 à 16h16
Trust me, it's not my NIC. I have Steam on my linux partition and it downloads games without any hiccups whatsoever. This freezing problem only happens when I download through the Steam client on Windows. Downloading files off websites or other applications works perfectly fine.
Steam on Linux uses a different driver. I guess I can't help you. I repair computers for a living but you seem to know a lot already.

Many times I see NIC problems that affect just one game or program. If you will not even try hooking up with a cable long enough to test this someone else might be able to help you but I can not. Sorry.
I forgot to mention that the problem persists even with a wired internet connection, sorry.
Yes, I did that yesterday...I just plugged in my ethernet cable to double check and it's actually running fine now, but what could cause it to only lock up during wi-fi?
I checked for new wifi adapter drivers and it said I was up to date.
Are you using Windows update to check for new NIC drivers? If so that is the problem. You need to either go to the manufactures website of your PC or better yet find out who makes the NIC and download the newest drivers from them. Windows is extremely bad when it comes to correct drivers. I have seen this problem many times when using the drivers Windows installs.

This problem has to be either the wifi driver, the wifi card or the router. Those are your only choices. Router firmware can also be updated.
Dernière modification de Facedown; 18 juil. 2013 à 17h31
I actually used device manager to search for a new driver at first but after that I went to the hp support website and downloaded the Realtek driver from them. However, I just came across something that might explain what's going on. I use a program called Advanced SystemCare and I don't know if you are familiar with it but it basically cleans up your system like CCleaner but has a few extra features, like turbo boost. Anyway, I often use the Turbo boost so my games run better. I just discovered that when turbo boost is off, steam doesn't freeze my computer. I can only imagine that this has something to do with a service or process that ASC thinks is not required for gaming so it disables it, resulting in steam not being able to download properly.
Actually nevermind, it's still freezing up periodically even whith the turbo boost disabled so I have no freaking clue.
Turns out not to be fixed actually...and I just use ccleaner and ASC for convinience haha
Please list your computer model and the wireless card model if you know it. Also I would uninstall Advanced SystemCare. Those programs are trash. All you need is a good anti virus and a firewall.

CCleaner I like as it is not resident in memory.
Dernière modification de Facedown; 18 juil. 2013 à 17h44
Computer Model: HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC
WiFi Adapter: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n
< >
Affichage des commentaires 1 à 15 sur 51
Par page : 1530 50

Posté le 18 juil. 2013 à 16h06