Kedar Jan 12, 2013 @ 9:08am
Steam freezing whole computer
Every time I try to open Steam since the latest updates group was released, the computer freezes every time I try to open Steam. Sometime it tries to go through the 'updating' process again and then freezes after that and when it would open Steam, sometimes it doesn't even do that before the computer freezes. The harddrives are not spinning, the computer's not getting overworked and freezing because it can't keep up with everything. Everything halts and the computer just freezes, the screen frozen and nothing works except the 4-second-hold hard shut down.

The thing is that it works in safe mode, which (unless I'm misunderstanding something) tells me that it's not Steam itself doing this, it's something else running that doesn't boot up in Safe Mode but does in normal mode, and this thing doesn't like when Steam is running. But what could it be?

Some friends have said to uninstall and reinstall Steam, but I'd rather avoid that if I'm correct and can find the cause for this issue.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
Kedar Jan 12, 2013 @ 9:38am 
Did that. Did not work; after reopening Steam and it going through the update process again to regenerate all the removed files, the computer froze when it tried to open Steam.
Maxwell Jan 12, 2013 @ 9:46am 
Well Steam shouldn't be freezing either way nobody here can help you, go ask steam support for help. And i wasn't asking for help. either just be patient and it might load or go ask steam support.
Kedar Jan 12, 2013 @ 9:49am 
TNAB, I already told you to stop posting if you're not going to be helpful. Someone may be able to point me to something that is helpful. I already planned on contacting them directly if I couldn't find help here. Do not post in my thread again; you are one of the least-useful people I have ever seen on a help forum.
Kedar Jan 12, 2013 @ 9:50am 
@anyone else who might actually be helpful: I might try a complete uninstall and reinstall (instead of just refreshing the files). If I do that, do the games uninstall too, or will they stay on the computer and I just have to reinstall the client to be able to access them?
Kedar Jan 12, 2013 @ 1:11pm 
...And then after another attempt at deleting the .blob from the corrupted update and letting it update again, it works just fine. ...I wonder if that defrag made it fine, though I wouldn't think that'd cause the issue I was having...
Kedar Jan 12, 2013 @ 3:18pm 
Updated drivers, but the issue magically resolved itself before I had to do so. Hopefully the issue doesn't rear its ugly head again. I appreciate your help, though. :)
Saumen_Seal Jan 12, 2013 @ 7:20pm 
restart windows explorer or end some unecessary processes with windows task manager
Angel Jan 12, 2013 @ 7:38pm 
Not the number one possibility, but you might have gotten a virus in your computer.
I would suggest scanning, defragging, and scanning again on all your computer files.
If it is something corrupt, defragmentation might help you out.
If it is a virus, then it could help to scan. Don't put all of your trust into scans though, use this tactic to make sure it is clean.
Type fake info in your computer, like a fake Name or something, if it is left alone, you might be clear. If you find evidence that somebody tried to use that name for something, they are still in your computer.
AwesomePossum Jun 29, 2013 @ 11:42pm 
I just ran into this issue With an ASUS G73Jh laptop and found the solution to be an issue with Audigy HD compatibility. The fix is super simple:

Right click the little speaker icon in the Windows taskbar notification area and choose "Playback devices" (or go to control panel and choose "Sound")

Double click the "Speakers" device (or right click on the "Speakers" playback device and choose properties).

Go to the tab with the "disable all enhancements" checkbox and check the box

Click the OK button.

Start Steam
dpunk Jun 29, 2013 @ 11:44pm 
I will say that steam has always been at least, quite slugish compared to a normal web browser.
Maxwell Jun 30, 2013 @ 3:00pm 
Originally posted by AwesomePossum:
I just ran into this issue With an ASUS G73Jh laptop and found the solution to be an issue with Audigy HD compatibility. The fix is super simple:

Right click the little speaker icon in the Windows taskbar notification area and choose "Playback devices" (or go to control panel and choose "Sound")

Double click the "Speakers" device (or right click on the "Speakers" playback device and choose properties).

Click the OK button.

Start Steam
Don't bump 50000 year old posts. And Dpunk its your internet/ Steam isn't a internet browser.
Yossarian Jul 11, 2013 @ 8:01pm 
AwesomePossum, you are truly awesome. I thought I would be missing out on the summer sale on my G73JH because of this problem. Thank you so much for the straightforward fix.
jamierawr88 Jul 14, 2013 @ 11:57pm 
AwesomePossum's fix only works for onboard soundcards, what about people who had disabled there onboard soundcard ages ago when they got a proper soundcard and still are recieving the freezing.

The freezing is happening for me still and ive disabled the onboard soundcard via bios, but it seems to only freeze if i try to download something
Jay Mar 18, 2014 @ 1:17pm 
Originally posted by AwesomePossum:

Click the OK button.

Start Steam

Thanks. It took me three weeks to, but finally found the solutions. The steam support stuff is so slow :(
< >
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Jan 12, 2013 @ 9:08am