This topic has been locked
[Resolved] - Age Of Empires 2 HD "Failed to start game (Unknown Error)"
So I pre ordered AOE2 HD and now that I can play it when I click play it comes up with the "Failed to start game (Unknown Error)" message. I've deleted the "appcache" folder and restarted my PC and everything, as well as trying a full reinstall of the game, but still no luck.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Last edited by Silicon Vampire; Apr 9, 2013 @ 3:09pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 71 comments
tstar85 Apr 5, 2013 @ 12:47pm 
I have the same problem. I even reinstalled steam on my computer and I still get the same error.

Any help would be appreciated.
gebe Apr 5, 2013 @ 12:49pm 
Same problem here ! Tried all you did and also removed all start-up programs. Still that "Failed to start game" message.
Plays w/ pannus Apr 5, 2013 @ 12:50pm 
Yep, same problem here. I was so excited for this game.
Yacoby Apr 5, 2013 @ 12:54pm 
I assume that the actual error message is the following:

The procedure entry point GetFileInformationByHandleEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

Which is what I get if I try and start the game without going through Steam. This would indicate that it is an problem with the supplied binary as GetFileInformationByHandleEx is only available in KERNEL32.dll in Vista, Windows 7 and 8 (i.e. Not on XP).

If the OP and the people above are running an OS other than XP, it totally invalidates what I said above. Be interested to know what OS you are running
Last edited by Yacoby; Apr 5, 2013 @ 12:59pm
1338 Apr 5, 2013 @ 1:01pm 
^ what yacoby said, i'm using XP and thats the error i get when i try to run the game trough the .exe on steam files, anyway to fix?
tstar85 Apr 5, 2013 @ 1:02pm 
Originally posted by Yacoby:
I assume that the actual error message is the following:

The procedure entry point GetFileInformationByHandleEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

Which is what I get if I try and start the game without going through Steam. This would indicate that it is an problem with the supplied binary as GetFileInformationByHandleEx is only available in KERNEL32.dll in Vista, Windows 7 and 8 (i.e. Not on XP).

If the OP and the people above are running an OS other than XP, it totally invalidates what I said above. Be interested to know what OS you are running

I'm also on XP
Mestre Apr 5, 2013 @ 1:07pm 
Same problem here... OP is XP.
Fishy Apr 5, 2013 @ 1:09pm 
I have the same problem. I'm also using Windows XP.
EPOINTMAN Apr 5, 2013 @ 1:12pm 
Having the same issue; running XP and I've pretty much tried everything I could.
tstar85 Apr 5, 2013 @ 1:31pm 
This is pretty bogus. I just rechecked and the system requirements does say Windows XP. I recently downloaded Steam specifically for this game. If it doesn't get resolved soon I probably won't ever use it again. This is a pretty poor first impression.
ishidabr Apr 5, 2013 @ 1:47pm 
♥♥♥♥ that, no one tried compatibility on XP even though many who own the original probably are running it on XP? What a flop for a game trying to appeal to longtime fans.
ÜberMcFluffy Apr 5, 2013 @ 1:48pm 
Same problem using XP
Yagi やぎ Apr 5, 2013 @ 1:51pm 
I have an XP operating system as well, but...

From the main website:

What are the minimum system requirements to play the game?

Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 (Not available on ARM architecture, i.e. Windows 8 RT)
Steam Software Platform
900x600 minimum resolution display
Direct X 9.0c Capable GPU
1.2GHz CPU
1GB RAM
2GB HDD

So XP should work
gorrath Apr 5, 2013 @ 1:54pm 
Same problem, also XP...
Anyone know how I can request a refund?
Yagi やぎ Apr 5, 2013 @ 1:59pm 
Originally posted by gorrath: