This topic has been locked
Leaf Jun 5, 2015 @ 11:31pm
How to completely stop Steam from updating games?
I have a very slow internet with constant disconnections, so I bought single player PC games via CDs. But after installing said games, Steam pops up and asks me to create an account and update Steam and such. After hours of installing Steam, I thought I could finally play the game, but no, Steam forces me to update the game. And the update is worth tons of gigabytes. This is just the same as if I am downloading the game. And the worst of it all, the update files can get corrupt at times.

I understand that I have to create an account on Steam and agree to the SSA to play (it has been said in the game's box) but I do not know that I will have to download gigabytes of updates to play. Had this been told as well in the game's box, I would never buy the game.

I've searched around Steam and it appears that there used to be a "disable automatic updates" on a game's update option. Couldn't find any. I've also tried putting Steam into offline mode, but Steam still forces me to update the game.

Isn't there any method at all to prevent these forced updates? This is just annoying, I'll never buy games with the Steam logo ever again.
Last edited by Leaf; Jun 5, 2015 @ 11:42pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
Ogami Jun 5, 2015 @ 11:41pm 
Sadly, you cant stop automatic updates anymore . If you dont want Steam to download them all the time you can limit your Auto Update schedule to times when you are not online. Its under SETTINGS/DOWNLOADS. Late at night for example. This way Steam schedules the updates but never downloads them. BUT, if you want to actually play a game that has a update scheduled you have to download it first before the game will start. But this way you can at least prevent updates for installed games you are not playing at the moment.
Last edited by Ogami; Jun 5, 2015 @ 11:42pm
Leaf Jun 5, 2015 @ 11:48pm 
@Ogami

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I know of this feature, and it can prevent updates. However should that game has an update scheduled, as you've said, I won't be able to play the game unless I update the game. So in the end, Steam forces me to update the game and if I refuse, I can't play the game.

Maybe I should just turn off the wi-fi on my computer to prevent Steam from checking updates, but that is just obnoxious.
CharlestONE Jun 5, 2015 @ 11:51pm 
Before you can luanch a game for the first time it has to be updated and activated. After that you can set it to only update when launched. From then on out, only launch the game in offline mode so it cannot check for updates.
Leaf Jun 6, 2015 @ 12:01am 
@EndCivilForfeitureFundingByCops

Ah, thank you, that could work. But won't Steam know an update for a game is available the moment I turn on my wi-fi? Or will it check only when the game is launched?
CharlestONE Jun 6, 2015 @ 12:05am 
Originally posted by John:
@EndCivilForfeitureFundingByCops

Ah, thank you, that could work. But won't Steam know an update for a game is available the moment I turn on my wi-fi? Or will it check only when the game is launched?
I"m pretty sure it will check only when launched but it may not still be that way.
Leaf Jun 6, 2015 @ 12:13am 
So there is no way at all to prevent that first update? I just bought Alien Isolation and I really hope I don't have to install 35GB+ worth of updates.

Oh, is there a way to disable Steam from running in the background? That might prevent it from checking updates.
CharlestONE Jun 6, 2015 @ 12:20am 
The initial one is 100% mandatory.

You may be able to keep Steam from running in the background but many games will crash if Steam;s services aren;t running

If you have access to another computer, you can download the game and copy the files onto a usb drive and put them in the proper folder on your computer.Or if you have a friend that has the game you can copy their game files.
ZenecadE Dec 8, 2015 @ 12:28am 
Talked to death I'm sure. I don't want to update most of the time because of a number of factors. For one, if bugs don't affect me, I don't see the point. If it aint broke, don't fix it. I also never play online. Yes it's fun but I prefer many classics too which are not designed for online play. Heck I still have a Pentium for my DOS nostalgia that is used near daily. Then there is the sheer size of some of these updates. Yes I know, 'size doesn't matter...' but on my connection, yes it does. My last two games I installed, both sucker punched me in that respect. DiRT 3 had to re download the whole game because Games for Winblows Live is dead. So much for having most of the game content on disc. Painkiller anybody? I installed this, played for 30 minutes then quit the game. Boom! 10GB cap gone on my LTE connection, from 1 update!! This on day 2 of December with an entire month ahead of me and no data left on my SIM card.

My opinion, Steam need to consider that we don't all live in a world where internet is unlimited. Yes we have uncapped ADSL solutions in SA but I cannot get that where I live according to our telecom company. So I'm stuck with mobile and mobile is NOT cheap anywhere. Steam, have a heart and at the very least please add a check box that will enable a notification of an impending download regardless of what it is. At least with that I can make a plan and download the update from my office computer that has an unlimited connection rather than my limited mobile connection at home. This default setting of 'Always install updates when available' is just too greedy.
 KARR™ Dec 8, 2015 @ 4:47am 
Originally posted by ZenecadE:
Steam, have a heart and at the very least please add a check box that will enable a notification of an impending download regardless of what it is. At least with that I can make a plan and download the update from my office computer that has an unlimited connection rather than my limited mobile connection at home. This default setting of 'Always install updates when available' is just too greedy.

Go into each games properties and set it to not update.

There isn't a flag for "all games", but as you have 11 items, it'll take all of 3 minutes to set them to not update.

It'll tell you when an update is available, but it won't download it until you try to launch it.
Kickin' Chicken Dec 8, 2015 @ 5:00am 
Originally posted by John:
After hours of installing Steam...

If it took you hours to install Steam then you've got bigger problems than download speed.
HellPhantom Dec 13, 2015 @ 3:00am 
Even changing games to only update when launched does not work. Dota 2 especially does not care most of the time that it is set this way. I have many games in steam and all of them have a big update @ least every second month if you are lucky else it is every month (5 to 8 gb).

I do not play them all at the same time so I really want only the ones I use to update but time and again when i open Steam Dota 2 or Marvel Heroes will start updating. Even in the download section it states auto downloads are disabled below every game while it is downloading.

In SA GB cost money and for every 3rd large patch you can basically re purchase the game.

Updates does exactly the same thing on my dads and friends pc, so it is not unique to my setup. Seems like certain major updates are forced upon you and update prefs are ignored. In some months if i had to update all the games we are looking at 40gb plus easily on my account alone.

SuperLotus Jan 21, 2016 @ 10:31am 
I'm interested playing Dark Souls 2 on an older patch (1.02) I downloaded some files, but I'm trying figure out how to turn off auto update for the game. It seems there isn't a way to do this, but I know it's possible because Noobest just uploaded a run on 1.02 (I haven't been able to contact him yet for help).
Kickin' Chicken Jan 21, 2016 @ 10:33am 
Originally posted by SuperLotus97:
I'm interested playing Dark Souls 2 on an older patch (1.02) I downloaded some files, but I'm trying figure out how to turn off auto update for the game. It seems there isn't a way to do this, but I know it's possible because Noobest just uploaded a run on 1.02 (I haven't been able to contact him yet for help).

You'd probably have to play offline.
Start_Running Jan 21, 2016 @ 11:41am 
Generally speaking you don't have to worry about updates after the major one there are usually no further updates for most games.
NiGHTSfan Jan 28, 2016 @ 6:14am 
this is one reason why i prefer consoles the damn games dont update until u start it this is one reason why i dont like pc gaming
< >
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Jun 5, 2015 @ 11:31pm