This topic has been locked
Gold/Katorskay Jan 28, 2015 @ 12:47am
Outgoing links do not show up for steam chat friends

MODERATOR NOTE - FrazerJC - (25th Feb 2015, 19:44 GMT):
I can now confirm Valve are looking into the reports and how to move forward with it.

Please do not spam Steam Support with tickets. This won't help the issue and will just slow down everything for everyone.

***Please do not submit a ticket to Steam Support if you are having this issue. Steam Community mods are monitoring this thread and have already informed Valve about this. Just post in this thread if you are having this issue.***

**Please read the updates of this post**

Having a rather weird issue, where aside from youtube links, no links appear for my friends when I send them. None of them at all. I can see any link they send me, But if I send them say an imgur link, it doesn't get sent at all, and no notification is sent to them about the message. they can send said imgur links between themselves just fine. However any link other than youtube that I send cannot be seen by anyone. I've tried doing this in and out of the steam beta, I've tried running steam://flushconfig, after that I reinstalled steam after deleting the registry files for steam even though the flushconfig should have done the same thing. But this issue still persists. I tried a system restore to a few days before this issue had a chance to happen, but still nothing.

Is anyone else having any similar issues with this after the current update? Or does anyone have any clue what might be causing this.

Update 1: Tried Installing Steam on two different devices, using two different ISPs, same issue persists. It persists on the Steam webchat as well.

Update 2: On top of Youtube links, I've found that some Steam related links also work.

Update 3: I've found out that there are certain links that are filtered for everyone on steam recently. These apply to certain torrent sites and google docs, possibly more. These blocks apply to everyone, not just the few of us who are experencing an issue with almost any link other than youtube.

Update 4: I bought enough cards to craft badges to reach level 10 to test to see if that may be the problem, as I've noticed everyone reporting this issue to be between the steam levels of 0-9. The second I achieved level 10 my links were then being sent, links that beforehand were not being sent to anyone at all. This seemingly has not yet been applied to every sub 10 account, as it seems to be affecting accounts in waves. Valve seems to have put in firm restrictions on sending links on accounts below level 10

Update 5: Let me rephrase. Currently these restrictions are not being applied to every single 0-9 account, but rather new accounts are added to the filterlist every day/week, as evident of new people reporting this issue as "just happening" for them while some have had this issue for weeks, and why some 0-9 users don't have this problem at all. The reason this could be the possibility is that everyone I've run across with this issue from threads being made here, are made by accounts from people who are level 0-9, or friends of the people having the issue, in which their friends are 0-9. Again this is not currently being applied to every single 0-9 account, but there is a strong possibility new accounts will experience this issue in the near future. Whether this is a mistake on Valves end or done on purpose to mitigate phishing attempts on users is unclear, as we've no official response as of yet.

Update 6: Possible cut off may be level 9, and not 10.

Update 7: A mod has stated this issue is for sub 9 accounts here.
http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/617328415058392258/#c617328415061115434
Again as stated several times, this is not currently being applied to every account below level 9.

Update 8: New developments. Links now instead of being removed completely as if they were never sent to begin with are now being replaced with a {LINK REMOVED} message. This update seems to have happened today when steam servers went down a few hours ago (around 6:00pm-8:00pm GMT -6:00 on 2/24/2015) and is affecting people who have had this issue beforehand, along with new users above level 9. Level no longer seems to be the deciding factor, instead it must be another reason. This is based on users above level 9 experiencing this issue. But this is not currently being applied to every user.

Update 9: Steam Community mods have forwarded this issue directly to Valve. Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon.

Update 10: Some people are reporting this issue is being resolved for them. It is obvious Valve is trying to fix this ASAP. If you are having this issue please post here regardless.
Last edited by Gold/Katorskay; Feb 26, 2015 @ 4:47pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 820 comments
spoof Jan 28, 2015 @ 12:49am 
sounds intresting and unique.

can you post them links on comments in your or friends profiles?
Gold/Katorskay Jan 28, 2015 @ 12:50am 
Give me a moment to try that.

Edit: Yes the links are seen when posted on their steam profile page.
Last edited by Gold/Katorskay; Jan 28, 2015 @ 12:52am
spoof Jan 28, 2015 @ 12:54am 
and using this chat?
https://steamcommunity.com/login/home/?goto=%2Fchat%2F (in a web browser)

are you using a custom steam skin?
Last edited by spoof; Jan 28, 2015 @ 12:57am
Gold/Katorskay Jan 28, 2015 @ 12:57am 
The steam web chat client has the same issue

The skin I was using was removed when I reinstalled steam.

EDIT: I should probably add that my client wasn't up to date when this issue started today, but my friends client was. After figuring out this was an issue on my end I updated but that didn't fix the issue either.
Last edited by Gold/Katorskay; Jan 28, 2015 @ 1:00am
spoof Jan 28, 2015 @ 12:59am 
did you try the webchat in a browser or the client?

just for testing exit steam and copy your steam.exe to a new folder.
run the exe from there and login.
if this works we can fix your other steam installation.
Gold/Katorskay Jan 28, 2015 @ 1:06am 
I've tried both the webchat in the steam browser and Chrome, both cause the same issue. I've copied the steam.exe file, launched it, logged in, and till the same issue.
spoof Jan 28, 2015 @ 1:06am 
can you use steam on another device?
Gold/Katorskay Jan 28, 2015 @ 1:07am 
I could. Give me a few minutes.
spoof Jan 28, 2015 @ 1:08am 
just wondering what could bug this besides some kind of ban I never hear off is a font problem.
Gold/Katorskay Jan 28, 2015 @ 1:18am 
Still nothing, on a second computer and the issue still persists. so this pertains to my account or update in some way.
spoof Jan 28, 2015 @ 1:19am 
I can not imagine what other than some kind of limitation put on you by valve.

as I said very intresting and unique.
google only finds you with this problem.
Gold/Katorskay Jan 28, 2015 @ 1:20am 
That's why I made this. I guess I have to go to official support about this.
spoof Jan 28, 2015 @ 1:21am 
if it is a new thing just give it some time it will be made clear.
still some smart people left in the valve community.

but than again it is only the chat , that makes me doubt.

stranger things have happened.
try powercycling modem and router by taking the power off a minute.
an ISP update can make sense.
Last edited by spoof; Jan 28, 2015 @ 1:25am
Gold/Katorskay Jan 28, 2015 @ 1:34am 
I saw what you said. That's why I went offline to try it. Didn't work.
spoof Jan 28, 2015 @ 1:36am 
if this is some kind of restriction you would also not be able to link on profiles.

does your mobile phone have internet you can tether to your computer?
bypass your provider to exclude that being the problem.
Last edited by spoof; Jan 28, 2015 @ 1:36am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 820 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Jan 28, 2015 @ 12:47am