awesomeali101 Dec 28, 2015 @ 11:51pm
Steam On a NAS
I was rewatching an old NCIX video on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVwgtPDn0aU , and it came across my mind that could i not do some of the things in this video with a nas that is mapped as a network drive. could i possibly run a game directly from the nas and have multiple people accessing it? or could i copy the steam game from the nas to a another computer but with a steam account that is different? or really anything of related to a steam on a nas idea. Could i also do some of these things with an FTP server aswell. What are some ideas? and would this be Possible
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
ReBoot Dec 29, 2015 @ 12:25am 
This MIGHT work. Emphasis on MIGHT. As a rule of thumb, newer games are better suited for that, than older games. It might also fail horribly and corrupt the game state (and the game files) for everyone. Are you sure you really want to do that? What do you hope to achieve?
awesomeali101 Dec 29, 2015 @ 2:24am 
I Just want to create a centeralized steam library on my network that are distributed to all my PCs and download the game once(not as important)
YUMMJI Dec 29, 2015 @ 2:25am 
gfgfgf
skilelautu Dec 29, 2015 @ 2:28am 
я головка от ♥♥♥♥♥♥
ReBoot Dec 29, 2015 @ 2:37am 
This is really not a good idea. You can try it but expect complications.
dragzi Dec 30, 2015 @ 6:43am 
Im current running a few pc's off of a server that has 9tb of samba shares. My server has 3 1gbps nics combined for a 3gbps max throughput, and 2 ssd's running as caches for 5 3tb drives.

The only issue I have come across is updating. You need to leave one of the systems on at all times so when updates are thrown out only 1 system installs them. If it does install the update twice you will probably need to verify.

Me and the wife use the same installation of gta5, rocket league, ets2 and a few others. The only one we have had an issue with in terms of multiple accounts using the same files was csgo. Had to change the autoexecs to different ones that had different key/mouse binds rather than storing them in the normal config.

easiest way of doing it is mapping the drive to say Z:, and for every pc you need to hit install to Z: and it will just detect the files instead of installing.

If you attempt to run this off a bog standard nas you will probably find performance will be incredibly sluggish. If im running anything that streams data (gta5, ets2) I notice spikes every 5-10 sec that hit 1gbps for literally half a second, then drop down.

Latency of my ssd's is <.1ms for reads. latency of server reads is ~12ms, a tad slower than an internal hdd.
Daria Dec 30, 2015 @ 6:44am 
HELP!
порпорп
awesomeali101 Dec 30, 2015 @ 1:36pm 
Thanks Dragzi
Puzzles Jul 13, 2017 @ 7:25am 
does anyone know if this can be done on a WD My Cloud and if so what one?
Forcen Jul 13, 2017 @ 7:36am 
Originally posted by MusicalBen:
That will work poorly if at all.
wuddih Jul 13, 2017 @ 7:49am 
Originally posted by MusicalBen:
dont even bother if you can not run more then 1gbit in your network. dual nics and fast hdds are a minimum requirement.

also what linus does in this video, it was a lucky punch back then 5 years ago and it is one today.
Puzzles Jul 13, 2017 @ 8:14am 
ok thanks for your help
RaEyE Jul 28, 2017 @ 1:20pm 
Not exactly the solution the Threadopener was looking for, but still a interesting solution:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/building-a-local-steam-caching-server-to-ease-the-bandwidth-blues/
Rhoobar Jul 28, 2017 @ 1:21pm 
GREAT
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Dec 28, 2015 @ 11:51pm