SandFoxed Feb 15, 2016 @ 1:36am
Can I use VPN for steam?
A lot of ports are disabled in my internet access, and can't login to steam. So can I use a VPN for that?
Is it necessary that the VPN is in the same country as I or can I use other countrys VPN?
And no, it's not for cheaper games or something like that, just for access my games.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 35 comments
Seretti Feb 15, 2016 @ 1:39am 
http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

"You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, Valve may terminate your access to your Account."
The Giving One Feb 15, 2016 @ 1:39am 
Using a VPN is listed in the SSA as a violation.

EDIT..Ninja'd by the good Seretti
Last edited by The Giving One; Feb 15, 2016 @ 1:39am
AVINE Feb 15, 2016 @ 1:40am 
Your country blocks Steam?

If if does, it's best not to break your country's laws.
Tev Feb 15, 2016 @ 1:45am 
Originally posted by Seretti:

"You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, Valve may terminate your access to your Account."
I still read it as,
You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence,
  • whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, Valve may terminate your access to your Account."

Rather than a full "No VPN at all" -policy, but *shrugs*
Last edited by Tev; Feb 15, 2016 @ 1:45am
Theblaze Feb 15, 2016 @ 1:48am 
As been said it's basically against the Steam Subscriber Agreement but I doubt they will do anything unless you used it to hide your actual location or bypass the region lock.
ReBoot Feb 15, 2016 @ 1:49am 
Using VPNs without concealing your location isn't even against the SSA.
Tev Feb 15, 2016 @ 1:49am 
Originally posted by ReBoot:
Using VPNs without concealing your location isn't even against the SSA.
Basically that's how I read it too.

But if wherever you are, school for example, has Steam as not allowed. Maybe respect that rule and don't do VPNs.
Last edited by Tev; Feb 15, 2016 @ 1:55am
look at ur line. maybe...
SandFoxed Feb 15, 2016 @ 1:55am 
So if the VPN is in the same country, i can use it.
I just want to login, and download my games :D
The Giving One Feb 15, 2016 @ 1:57am 
Originally posted by Sz_DavidHUN:
Perhaps we got off track here a bit....
I would suggest that you find out what the issue is that is causing the problem before you do the VPN workaround...

Are you using a home network that you have total control over and ethernet only instead of a router/wireless connection to troubleshoot it ? Bypassing the router is the first step.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1456-EUDN-2493
AVINE Feb 15, 2016 @ 1:58am 
Still technically against the rules ""You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, "
Last edited by AVINE; Feb 15, 2016 @ 1:58am
Tev Feb 15, 2016 @ 2:01am 
Originally posted by Garrus "The Situation" Vakarian:
Still technically against the rules ""You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, "
How would he be circumventing geographical restrictions, if OP doesn't switch the country in the first place?

EDIT: And it means region restricted content.
Last edited by Tev; Feb 15, 2016 @ 2:03am
AVINE Feb 15, 2016 @ 2:04am 
Originally posted by Teutep:
Originally posted by Garrus "The Situation" Vakarian:
How would he be circumventing geographical restrictions, if OP doesn't switch the country in the first place?

OP said that "A lot of ports are disabled in my internet access, and can't login to steam." If this is because of his location, that is a geographical restriction
Tev Feb 15, 2016 @ 2:05am 
..on game content? (look at your own quote on the SSA)

It means "You're not allowed to fake where you live in order to download content not available in the geographical region you live in."

i.e. "I live in Finland, this game isn't available in Finland, so I download it faking I'm from France instead." <- This is not allowed. However, if I'm still downloading the game from Finland, then technically I'm not bypassing any region restrictions put in place.
Last edited by Tev; Feb 15, 2016 @ 2:11am
metamec Feb 15, 2016 @ 2:24am 
It's surprising how many times this comes up and how often this sentence is misinterpreted.

"You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose."

The "...or for any other purpose," bit is a crucial bit of legal arse covering that overrides all the other conditions mentioned. It means you can't use a VPN at all for any reason.

I doubt Valve would enforce it if you are not using a VPN for nefarious reasons though.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 35 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Feb 15, 2016 @ 1:36am