WaffleCone Aug 23, 2020 @ 3:36pm
Account suspension scam
I had a rando steam friend contact me saying they accidentally reported me for an illegal purchase and I was going to be permanently suspended unless I talk to a steam moderator. Is this a known scam? I can’t imagine that steam would do something like that so willy-nilly if one person falsely reports you. Any help or reassurance this is not a thing would be greatly appreciated. FYI, I unfriended and blocked this person.
Originally posted by Robin3sk:
It's more commobn than you would imagine.

In addition to blocking them, you should also report the user via their profile.

They'll eventually get nuked with a community ban if that's the best action.
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
FFL2and3rocks Aug 23, 2020 @ 3:37pm 
Yes, it's a very old scam.
The author of this thread has indicated that this post answers the original topic.
Robin3sk Aug 23, 2020 @ 3:38pm 
It's more commobn than you would imagine.

In addition to blocking them, you should also report the user via their profile.

They'll eventually get nuked with a community ban if that's the best action.
WaffleCone Aug 23, 2020 @ 4:50pm 
Awesome, thanks. I knew it was shady but was hoping to get some other people’s input.
Last edited by WaffleCone; Aug 23, 2020 @ 7:10pm
WAR™ Aug 23, 2020 @ 7:09pm 
Unless the message is directly from steam, NEVER trust it. Steam is like a heaven for scammers...

The amount of times people have contacted me saying I need to log into my steam and do this with a fake steam link attached 🙄

But yes, as said above it’s very important to report these accounts because some naive people put there trust in these people.
Zepp Aug 23, 2020 @ 8:34pm 
They'll check it out
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Aug 23, 2020 @ 3:36pm