This topic has been locked
Can you get banned off Steam for using a VPN on your computer?
I want to activate the VPN feature on Windows 10. However, I heard people were getting their Steam account banned based off the fact that they used VPN in some way.
What does Steam do to users that use a VPN on their computer? Is it a bannable offense? Or am I free to start using the Windows 10 VPN without risking my account being banned?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 46 comments
According to the SSA you are not allowed to use VPN softwares on Steam for any reason, and yes, doing so may cause your account to be locked permanently.
Ogami Oct 10, 2016 @ 7:43am 
Originally posted by Narcoleptic Marshmallow:
According to the SSA you are not allowed to use VPN softwares on Steam for any reason, and yes, doing so may cause your account to be locked permanently.

That may be but A: this rule goes against most country laws and is not enforceable
and B: i never saw anyone ever being banned for simply using a VPN.

The only VPN related thing that will get you banned 100% is trying to access steam stores from another region like russia to buy games cheaper. But apart from that, nope.
Last edited by Ogami; Oct 10, 2016 @ 7:44am
Originally posted by Ogami:
That may be but A: this rule goes against most country laws and is not enforceable
and B: i never saw anyone ever being banned for simply using a VPN.

The only VPN related thing that will get you banned 100% is trying to access steam stores from another region like russia to buy games cheaper. But apart from that, nope.

Surely anything will only ever happen if you're caught doing it, and using it for buying cheaper games is by far the easiest way to raise red flags for Valve and pretty much the only thing they care about, but it's better safe than sorry. I don't know what OP wants to use VPN for.

And if they do get caught, the account lock is very enforceable. Steam is a privately owned software distributor and anyone violating the terms of service we agreed to before registering are capable of being punished should we violate them.

The exception I can think of is when one of these terms go directly against widely established rights, like it happened to refunds. I personally don't think using a proxy is a right, or even a privilege, by the contrary, most people who use it do so to get around limitations and restrictions so they can do or see things they're not supposed to.
Teutep Oct 10, 2016 @ 8:07am 
Erm, doesn't the SSA say this? (Spacing intentional)
http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/
You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence,
    whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, Valve may terminate your access to your Account.

Therefore I'd lean more towards that it's allowed as long as it doesn't disguise the place of your residence in the process.

The wording 'whether to' in my ears just sounds like it's whatever that goes under the said specific reason.
Last edited by Teutep; Oct 10, 2016 @ 8:08am
Originally posted by Teutep:
Erm, doesn't the SSA say this?

It also says "or for any other purpose" as you quoted yourself.

Not that I believe it's more than a cushion in case someone finds a way to use proxying to exploit something. Even Steam itself was selling VPN software until recently so there's that too. But again, it's better safe than sorry since OP doesn't specify the reason they want to use it.
Teutep Oct 10, 2016 @ 8:15am 
Yeah, but that's underneath the "disguise the place of your residence." That's how I read "whether to" in this context.

As in, "You're not allowed to disguise the place of your residence for any reason."

Originally posted by Narcoleptic Marshmallow:
It's better safe than sorry since OP doesn't specify the reason they want to use it.
I can agree with that regardless.
Last edited by Teutep; Oct 10, 2016 @ 8:16am
ReBoot Oct 10, 2016 @ 8:31am 
I think, we can all agree that connecting to a VPN in your own country is safe and in another country is banable.
AgentRuby Oct 10, 2016 @ 9:05am 
Originally posted by NamesAMX:
I want to activate the VPN feature on Windows 10. However, I heard people were getting their Steam account banned based off the fact that they used VPN in some way.
What does Steam do to users that use a VPN on their computer? Is it a bannable offense? Or am I free to start using the Windows 10 VPN without risking my account being banned?


If you are able to play the game just fine with no disconnects don't worry.

They have absolutely no way of knowing whether you are using a VPN.

If you get banned for any reason it's not going to be VPN related. But, don't for one second think that you can evade cheat detection by using a VPN. Not that you were going to do that but I just thought that I'd put it out there.
Originally posted by AgentRuby:
Originally posted by NamesAMX:
I want to activate the VPN feature on Windows 10. However, I heard people were getting their Steam account banned based off the fact that they used VPN in some way.
What does Steam do to users that use a VPN on their computer? Is it a bannable offense? Or am I free to start using the Windows 10 VPN without risking my account being banned?


If you are able to play the game just fine with no disconnects don't worry.

They have absolutely no way of knowing whether you are using a VPN.

If you get banned for any reason it's not going to be VPN related. But, don't for one second think that you can evade cheat detection by using a VPN. Not that you were going to do that but I just thought that I'd put it out there.

"They have absolutely no way of knowing whether you are using a VPN"

Tell that to Netflix
Snessy Aug 30, 2017 @ 3:20pm 
So, in conclusion you can use a vpn on steam as long as you use it for hiding your location and only if you do it in your country? just asking, i'm from mexico but i want to use a vpn to fake out that i live in the USA so i can access a certain tf2 server.
Teksura Aug 30, 2017 @ 3:39pm 
Originally posted by Ogami:
Originally posted by Narcoleptic Marshmallow:
According to the SSA you are not allowed to use VPN softwares on Steam for any reason, and yes, doing so may cause your account to be locked permanently.

That may be but A: this rule goes against most country laws and is not enforceable
and B: i never saw anyone ever being banned for simply using a VPN.

The only VPN related thing that will get you banned 100% is trying to access steam stores from another region like russia to buy games cheaper. But apart from that, nope.
Most VPN services use a limited range of known IPs. Connecting from one such IP is a good indication that you're using one, and if your location changes on a daily basis then it's pretty easy to catch. So it is very enforceable.

Also I'm not familiar with any country which has declared VPM usage a human right. So I seriously doubt any country, much less "most", have laws against requiring people who use your service not use a VPN.
9IPuJIO Aug 30, 2017 @ 3:40pm 
yes
ReBoot Aug 30, 2017 @ 11:37pm 
Originally posted by Snessy:
So, in conclusion you can use a vpn on steam as long as you use it for hiding your location and only if you do it in your country? just asking, i'm from mexico but i want to use a vpn to fake out that i live in the USA so i can access a certain tf2 server.
This is EXACTLY what's forbidden per SSA.
Patriot {HaZe} Nov 16, 2017 @ 2:02pm 
Originally posted by Teksura:
Originally posted by Ogami:

That may be but A: this rule goes against most country laws and is not enforceable
and B: i never saw anyone ever being banned for simply using a VPN.

The only VPN related thing that will get you banned 100% is trying to access steam stores from another region like russia to buy games cheaper. But apart from that, nope.
Most VPN services use a limited range of known IPs. Connecting from one such IP is a good indication that you're using one, and if your location changes on a daily basis then it's pretty easy to catch. So it is very enforceable.

Also I'm not familiar with any country which has declared VPM usage a human right. So I seriously doubt any country, much less "most", have laws against requiring people who use your service not use a VPN.

Obviously TOS is what it is but in terms of 'rights' where law is concerned for the user there is no so called bill that makes the terms a user can or can't use a VPN. so idk where you live but in america you have the FREEDOM to do as you please as long as there isn't a law forbidding it so legally YOU CAN use a VPN and they have no means to 'arrest' or charge you with anything. By no means am i saying you can violate a TOS but outside of a individual company's policies there is no laws banning VPNs


and NOR SHOULD THERE BE!!! KEEP THE INTERNET FREE
Last edited by Patriot {HaZe}; Nov 16, 2017 @ 2:04pm
Hanomaly Nov 16, 2017 @ 2:13pm 
Originally posted by Patriot {HaZe}:
Obviously TOS is what it is but in terms of 'rights' where law is concerned for the user there is no so called bill that makes the terms a user can or can't use a VPN. so idk where you live but in america you have the FREEDOM to do as you please as long as there isn't a law forbidding it so legally YOU CAN use a VPN and they have no means to 'arrest' or charge you with anything. By no means am i saying you can violate a TOS but outside of a individual company's policies there is no laws banning VPNs

Altho i wanted to add (altho you might already know this).

It is true that Valve cannot have you arrested for using a VPN, even if you use one to mask your location and pretend you live in a country where games are sold more cheaply. As you say, a user can use their freedom do what they want within the law and use a VPN just for that.

But, Valve can also use *their* freedom and ban your account for doing that. They can lock down your account so you cannot buy games on Steam anymore. So you can't play multiplayer. So you can't use the forums, community market, trade, etc.

So yes, it's true you won't be arrested for breaking that SSA/TOS clause that says you can't use a VPN, you can most definitely end up punished within "Valve's House", by valve forbidding you to do anything more on the platform than play single player/offline games only (because they can't take away your ability to play your games - but they can do it so you can't do anything else beyond that on *their* servers).


~
also i know this is kinda an old thread, but recent comments happened!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 46 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Oct 10, 2016 @ 7:24am
Posts: 46