Swervin Mar 15, 2018 @ 12:57pm
Steam won’t open on Windows 10
To shorten the issue I am experiencing which has taken a good part of the day so far - when opening steam, after the usually pop to update the client, it minimises after a few seconds into nothing without warning, no icon in tray nor service/ application showing in task manager.

To save time in noting troubleshooting I have done, I am on the second 2nd clean install of windows 10 after noticing that it worked on a new user account I created as a test...

I think I have narrowed it down to the problem being with a new windows update or a microsoft service that is stopping steam from opening. I have got steam open without anything else installed on the pc currently and no updates yet installed....I would like to know if anyone else has had this issue as this could be a potential upcoming problem for others too.

It has been a real pain in the♥♥♥♥♥♥to try and solve, So if anyone that could suggest or share knowledge on this it would be greately appreciated.

Thanks,

Joey

Last edited by Swervin; Mar 16, 2018 @ 3:07am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Restart the Windows 10 Firewall service after logging in. 😉
Swervin Mar 15, 2018 @ 1:55pm 
No luck, tried disabling windows defender firewall too 😩
Swervin Mar 15, 2018 @ 2:36pm 
Confirmed it’s opening ok on test windows account no idea what’s going on!

H8Laggers Mar 15, 2018 @ 3:48pm 
Mine did this today after installing other updates and rebooting. I shut everything down and restarted the pc and my problem was gone. Not sure what happened though.
Swervin Mar 16, 2018 @ 1:12am 
Thanks, I wish that was the same for me.

I am having to use a new windows account to play, I have run out of ideas to why my main account is not loading it up, even though it’s a brand new install of windows with cleaned drives
Probably just a corrupted user profile.

Delete it's NTUSER.??? files after rebooting and log back in as the afflicted user.
Visualvengeance Mar 16, 2018 @ 2:35am 
Windows claims another victim :steamfacepalm:

Have you tried running it as admin? If in doubt you can always edit the registry :steamhappy:
goncharov464 Mar 16, 2018 @ 2:39am 
help
Swervin Mar 16, 2018 @ 3:09am 
Yea tried running as admin 😔

Deleted NTuser and now signing me in with a temporary profile, steam is loading up ok... what should I do next?

Swervin Mar 16, 2018 @ 3:11am 
Originally posted by Visualvengeance:
Windows claims another victim :steamfacepalm:

Have you tried running it as admin? If in doubt you can always edit the registry :steamhappy:

Which registry would you advise? Thanks
Visualvengeance Mar 16, 2018 @ 3:30am 
I've not used Windows in years, but give this a try:
Go to C:\Program Files\Steam (or the Steam directory that was specified during installation).
Locate ClientRegistry.blob and rename this file to ClientRegistryOld.blob.
Restart Steam to allow the file to be recreated.
Test the issue once more.

Let me know if it works! :)
Swervin Mar 16, 2018 @ 4:09am 
Thanks buddy, I haven’t yet tried it but I restored the NTuser file, restarted pc and logged back into affected account. Now steam is opening like normal! I don’t trust this is permanently fixed but its working for now 😊
Visualvengeance Mar 16, 2018 @ 4:12am 
Hope it stays that way! :D
Crack3rJacK Mar 17, 2020 @ 4:46pm 
I've been having this problem for years. Who in Valve needs to find another job?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Mar 15, 2018 @ 12:57pm