Ashlek Dec 16, 2017 @ 8:57am
Moving the Steam authenticator to a new phone.
I bought a new phone and would like to have the Steam authenticatior on it.
How do I go about migrating it to a new phone? Is it as simple as downloading it and logging in or will I need to get SMS code again?
Also will I need my previous phone for the authentication login code to sign into the new phone, or can I factory reset my old phone beforehand?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
999999999 Dec 16, 2017 @ 9:03am 
Same phone number?
Last edited by 999999999; Dec 16, 2017 @ 9:05am
Ashlek Dec 16, 2017 @ 9:04am 
Originally posted by 999999999:
Same phone number?
yes
999999999 Dec 16, 2017 @ 9:05am 
Do this...

Can I transfer my authenticator to my new phone?

Yes, you can.

To transfer your authenticator to a new phone, you'll need access to the phone number associated with your account (so we can send you a text message to confirm it's you).

From the Steam Mobile app on your new device, try to log into your account. When the app asks for your authenticator code, select "Please help, I no longer have access to my Mobile Authenticator codes." Follow the steps the app provides and you can either transfer your authenticator to the new device or remove it from the previous device.

After transferring the authenticator, any new trades or market listings will be held for a couple of days to protect your items in case your authenticator is ever transferred by a malicious person. See our Trade Holds FAQ for more information about trade holds.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8625-wrah-9030#transfer
Ashlek Dec 16, 2017 @ 9:06am 
Do this...

Yes, you can.

To transfer your authenticator to a new phone, you'll need access to the phone number associated with your account (so we can send you a text message to confirm it's you).

From the Steam Mobile app on your new device, try to log into your account. When the app asks for your authenticator code, select "Please help, I no longer have access to my Mobile Authenticator codes." Follow the steps the app provides and you can either transfer your authenticator to the new device or remove it from the previous device.

After transferring the authenticator, any new trades or market listings will be held for a couple of days to protect your items in case your authenticator is ever transferred by a malicious person. See our Trade Holds FAQ for more information about trade holds.

Alright, but can't I just log in by looking at the login code on my previous phone?
999999999 Dec 16, 2017 @ 9:07am 
The correct way is what I have shown you. Doing it any other way will result in trading and market restrictions for 15 days.
Ashlek Dec 16, 2017 @ 9:08am 
The correct way is what I have shown you. Doing it any other way will result in trading and market restrictions for 15 days.
Okay, thank you.
Appreciate the help :D
Tyler Aug 27, 2018 @ 1:57pm 
Do this...

Yes, you can.

Work great and i had not the temporaney trade ban/lock
la Luminescence Nov 14, 2018 @ 2:08am 
It's been really long but do you know exactly how many days of trade hold will be executed if I successfully tranfer Authenticator to my new phone? Thanks in advance.
StickyPawz Nov 14, 2018 @ 2:56am 
When I moved to a new phone this year, I only a 2-3 wait to access trade/market stuff.
Last edited by StickyPawz; Nov 14, 2018 @ 2:57am
Supafly Nov 14, 2018 @ 3:01am 
Originally posted by Du Kích Tí Hon:
It's been really long but do you know exactly how many days of trade hold will be executed if I successfully tranfer Authenticator to my new phone? Thanks in advance.
2-3 days provided you use the method linked in the above support article
Hodman Nov 14, 2018 @ 3:33am 

48 hours exactly.
la Luminescence Nov 14, 2018 @ 6:40am 
Originally posted by Hodman:

48 hours exactly.
Thank you so much.
999999999 Nov 14, 2018 @ 8:27am 
Trading, exactly 48 hours. Market, varies from 36-48 hours. Which is why it doesn't specify exact times in the article and only says "couple."
Gooze Dec 31, 2018 @ 10:08am 
I got trade banned by switching my Steam Gaurd to a new phone, 15 days is way too long
Si-Fi Dec 31, 2018 @ 10:12am 
Originally posted by Gooze:
I got trade banned by switching my Steam Gaurd to a new phone, 15 days is way too long
You aren't trade banned otherwise that would have been marked on your profile. It is only a cooldown period.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Dec 16, 2017 @ 8:57am