cheiften98 Sep 24, 2019 @ 7:26pm
Steam Refunds on DLC
So ive been playing Dead by Daylight all day, I bought some DLC yesterday and ive not even played it. I changed my mind and want to get a different DLC for the game. Steam keeps denying my refund request. It seems they are just bots. Its pretty unresonable.
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
FFL2and3rocks Sep 24, 2019 @ 7:28pm 
Originally posted by cheiften98:
I bought some DLC yesterday and ive not even played it.

The 2 hours rule applies to the entire game, not just the DLC. So if you've played the game for 2 hours since buying the DLC, you don't qualify for a refund.
Last edited by FFL2and3rocks; Sep 24, 2019 @ 7:30pm
cheiften98 Sep 24, 2019 @ 7:32pm 
Originally posted by FFL2and3rocks:
I bought some DLC yesterday and ive not even played it.

The 2 hours rule applies to the entire game, not just the DLC. So if you've played the game for 2 hours since buying the DLC, you don't qualify for a refund.
its pretty unresonable. So I would have to go all da without playing a game that ive had for 2 years if ive bought DLC.
Zekiran (Banned) Sep 24, 2019 @ 7:33pm 
You wouldn't have been able to refund it if you've owned any of it more than 2 weeks anyway.
FFL2and3rocks Sep 24, 2019 @ 7:36pm 
Valve has no way of knowing if you've been playing your new DLC or not during that time. Imagine how many people would buy a DLC, play it for 10 hours, then get a refund because "I didn't even touch it yet, I was actually playing the base game the whole time, pinky swear!"

DLC purchased from the Steam store is refundable within fourteen days of purchase, and if the underlying title has been played for less than two hours since the DLC was purchased, so long as the DLC has not been consumed, modified or transferred. Please note that in some cases, Steam will be unable to give refunds for some third party DLC (for example, if the DLC irreversibly levels up a game character). These exceptions will be clearly marked as nonrefundable on the Store page prior to purchase.
Snakub Plissken Sep 24, 2019 @ 8:05pm 

its pretty unresonable. So I would have to go all da without playing a game that ive had for 2 years if ive bought DLC.

You keep saying that. But you really only feel that way because you didn't know the rules and having learned them, want them to be different to accomodate your wants in this moment. Most of us who understand the policy aren't going to agree. The rules haven't changed, they make sense given the nature of software, dlc, and how time is tracked. You suddenly discovering them isn't a compelling argument.

If everything is handled equaly after purchase, its rather reasonable.
Satoru Sep 24, 2019 @ 8:44pm 

No that's not what happens'

You have 2 hours of playtime after purchase to decide if you want the DLC

Note no where does that say "you cannot play the game"

Play for less than 2 hours, and then you can refund the DLC

You played more than 2 hours

So you can't refund it

Its not 'unfair' because you don't actaully understand how the system works
Drab Sep 25, 2019 @ 7:01am 
Here is how to request a refund outside the limits.

Log in to the Steam client - click on help at the top of the screen - click on Steam Support - click on 'Purchases' - click on the game - "I have a question about this purchase" - explain the issue politely.

Don't play the game at all until you have received an answer.

Asking for the refund to go to your wallet seems to help.

Ignore the rest of the people in this thread who don't actually want to help you.

Once again the same people lying about the refund policy.
Theblaze Sep 25, 2019 @ 7:38am 
Originally posted by Drab:
[...] Once again the same people lying about the refund policy.

Anything outside the refund policy is considered on a case-by-case scenario and the longer someone played or owned the game/the DLC after the purchase, the less likely to get the refund approved.
Last edited by Theblaze; Sep 25, 2019 @ 7:39am
Crazy Tiger Sep 25, 2019 @ 7:51am 
How is it lying when people state the very same thing as is written in the refund policy?
https://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/
Snakub Plissken Sep 25, 2019 @ 3:05pm 
Originally posted by Drab:

Once again the same people lying about the refund policy.

Steam does make exceptions sometimes. We can't guarantee them, all we can go by is the written policy. And for my part I don't even think about exceptions, because I just follow the policy.

You can convince yourself anything you want about exceptions, and if you think you're owed one and it's denied? You're still back at square one, learn and understand how the refund policy works and operate within that framework.

But perhaps you think we're lying by omission. Well I'd also argue you've omitted some important information as well.

1. Steam support may or may not make an exception for the request.
  2. If they do, this occurrence doesn't project onto future requests nor does it invalidate the written policy.
  3. You should always assume the written policy is the hard and fast rule and try to avoid needing to request an exception to the rule.

< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Sep 24, 2019 @ 7:26pm