This topic has been locked
Souls Aug 7, 2017 @ 9:07am
Is there a way to disable steam overlay in a specific game?
I don't want to disable the overlay entirely, I just want it disabled for a single game. Is this possible or will I have to disable it completely?
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Kargor Aug 7, 2017 @ 9:14am 
2
5
Sure. Right click the game in the library, select "Properties", make sure you're looking at the "General" tab -- there's a checkbox there to enable the overlay for that game.
Souls Aug 7, 2017 @ 9:17am 
Originally posted by Kargor:
Sure. Right click the game in the library, select "Properties", make sure you're looking at the "General" tab -- there's a checkbox there to enable the overlay for that game.
Thanks for the quick response my man.
Dylldophlo Jun 7, 2022 @ 5:42am 
Unfortunately, this option is not supported by the Steam CLient for NonSteam Games.
Trent W. Buck Feb 11, 2023 @ 1:57pm 
5 years later, and you still can't disable the overlay for non-Steam games :-(
I wanted this for Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, where Shift+Tab is an important binding.
You can change the overlay to fire on a different keychord - but not on a per-game basis.
Wig Bang Jun 24, 2023 @ 11:27pm 
2
this doesn't work. i hit shift-tab (which brings up the steam overlay)

i went to the cog-wheel (which is the settings icon) and unchecked "enable steam overlay while in game"

then i hit shift-tab to close the overlay. i IMMEDIATELY knew that it hadn't worked. because if it had, i shouldn't have even been able to close it. but i thought to myself (well maybe they just made an allowance for closing it after disabling it)

so then, back in the game, i hit shift+tab. and it opened the overlay.

do NOT post misinformation. this thread is misinformation and the user who provided this false information should be banned.
Trent W. Buck Jun 24, 2023 @ 11:42pm 
Originally posted by Wig Bang:
this doesn't work.[/quot]
then i hit shift-tab to close the overlay. i IMMEDIATELY knew that it hadn't worked.

I just tested this method with https://store.steampowered.com/app/70/HalfLife/
It works for me... after I restart the game.

Originally posted by Wig Bang:
do NOT post misinformation. this thread is misinformation and the user who provided this false information should be banned.

No need to assume malice; the original answer is from 6 years ago, and the steam overlay has changed substantially since then (including a complete overhaul in the last month):
https://store.steampowered.com/oldnews/195171
Ogami Jun 24, 2023 @ 11:43pm 
Originally posted by Wig Bang:
this doesn't work. i hit shift-tab (which brings up the steam overlay)

i went to the cog-wheel (which is the settings icon) and unchecked "enable steam overlay while in game"

then i hit shift-tab to close the overlay. i IMMEDIATELY knew that it hadn't worked. because if it had, i shouldn't have even been able to close it. but i thought to myself (well maybe they just made an allowance for closing it after disabling it)

so then, back in the game, i hit shift+tab. and it opened the overlay.

do NOT post misinformation. this thread is misinformation and the user who provided this false information should be banned.


Maybe look at the date? When this question was asked and answered it was 2017 and this worked fine.
It STILL works fine but you cant do it while INGAME.
You have to deactivate the Overlay while not in a game, THEN start the game and then you wont have the overlay.
Trent W. Buck Jun 24, 2023 @ 11:47pm 
PS: as far as I can tell, your method (open game, Shift+Tab, Cog, untick "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game" is the same global setting as from the launcher ( steam://settings/ingame , untick "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game")

It's not the same as the per-game setting (open steam library, select game (but don't open it), click cog (middle-right), Properties, General, Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game). That's what the original answer suggested.

I have not tested these extensively, so I could be completely wrong.
Last edited by Trent W. Buck; Jun 24, 2023 @ 11:47pm
wuddih Jun 24, 2023 @ 11:50pm 
Originally posted by Wig Bang:
this doesn't work. i hit shift-tab (which brings up the steam overlay)

i went to the cog-wheel (which is the settings icon) and unchecked "enable steam overlay while in game"

then i hit shift-tab to close the overlay. i IMMEDIATELY knew that it hadn't worked. because if it had, i shouldn't have even been able to close it. but i thought to myself (well maybe they just made an allowance for closing it after disabling it)

so then, back in the game, i hit shift+tab. and it opened the overlay.

do NOT post misinformation. this thread is misinformation and the user who provided this false information should be banned.
Once a game is already ran with overlay enabled, the overlay is not unloaded when you change the setting for it as it may cause issues.

All overlay settings for everything are accessible without running games in the Steam properties as described above or for global switch in Steams settings.

Restart the game and your expected result will happen. There is no real misinformation in this 6 year old thread and nobody needs to be banned for your misassumptions.
Unn4m3d (♥AUT♥) Jun 24, 2023 @ 11:51pm 
Originally posted by Wig Bang:

do NOT post misinformation. this thread is misinformation and the user who provided this false information should be banned.

You realize that not only is there no information, but necroing threads (which is what you did) is ACTUALLY against the rules?
Wig Bang Jun 25, 2023 @ 5:11pm 
2
Yes. You can do it from game. And after you restart game, overlay is disabled.

Can someone please mark that my post here is the one that gives the correct answer?
Ogami Jun 25, 2023 @ 5:17pm 
Originally posted by Wig Bang:
Can someone please mark that my post here is the one that gives the correct answer?

No. Because Kargor already provided the correct answer 6 years ago.


Originally posted by Wig Bang:
Yes. You can do it from game. And after you restart game, overlay is disabled.

So you basically confirm what already was said, you CANT turn off the overlay when the game is running, you have to leave the game and restart for it to take effect.
You did not add anything to this topic at all and want a reward for it?
Rosa Jun 28, 2023 @ 11:50am 
This thread was quite old before the recent post, so we're locking it to prevent confusion.
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Aug 7, 2017 @ 9:07am
Posts: 13