VPN and steam
Ok, I don't want to cheat any system of any kind by using a VPN or purchase games at a better price or play earlier or anything like this, I simply want to protect my privacy on Internet, and I've heard it was totally impossible to use a VPN if you have a steam account you won't be able to play, login or anything to steam or they will ban your account because you use a VPN. So is there any easy way to tell my PC to not use the VPN for steam, that would fix all my potential problems, I want the VPN to be active 24h/24 and I don't to have to disconnect each time I want to play my steam games online. Please do not reply to this topic unless you have a 100% accurate answer with an easy to follow tutorial to do what I just asked here.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
The rules on VPN's are open to interpretation. Some people think that VPN's are banned entirely on Steam, while others, including me think the rules say that VPN's are only banned if you use them to mask your country of residence.

What I can tell you is that VPN's definitely do work with Steam, In fact Steam once sold a VPN on the Steam store called " WTFast Gamers Private Network "
Ogami Apr 10 @ 2:38pm 
Originally posted by McDodge34 FR QC:
Ok, I don't want to cheat any system of any kind by using a VPN or purchase games at a better price or play earlier or anything like this, I simply want to protect my privacy on Internet, and I've heard it was totally impossible to use a VPN if you have a steam account you won't be able to play, login or anything to steam or they will ban your account because you use a VPN.

Only the last entry is true. Steam forbids the use of any VPN to conceal your point of origin while you are connected to Steam. They reserve their right to suspend your account for that.
BUT, i never heard of someone getting banned on Steam for just using a VPN for internet privacy.
That would not even fly in most countries since there are laws that allows you the use of such programs without question.
The only cases where user got banned for using a VPN was if they used their new IP to shop in Steam stores with much lower prices. That is considered fraud by Steam.
But that is no longer possible anyway since the Steam Shop region is now locked to your account, regardless of your IP.
So my advise is, just keep on using it, Steam has no way anyway to determine if someone uses an VPN except in cases like the one mentioned above.

Last edited by Ogami; Apr 10 @ 2:38pm
Originally posted by Ogami:
Ok, I don't want to cheat any system of any kind by using a VPN or purchase games at a better price or play earlier or anything like this, I simply want to protect my privacy on Internet, and I've heard it was totally impossible to use a VPN if you have a steam account you won't be able to play, login or anything to steam or they will ban your account because you use a VPN.

Only the last entry is true. Steam forbids the use of any VPN to conceal your point of origin while you are connected to Steam. They reserve their right to suspend your account for that.
BUT, i never heard of someone getting banned on Steam for just using a VPN for internet privacy.
That would not even fly in most countries since there are laws that allows you the use of such programs without question.
The only cases where user got banned for using a VPN was if they used their new IP to shop in Steam stores with much lower prices. That is considered fraud by Steam.
But that is no longer possible anyway since the Steam Shop region is now locked to your account, regardless of your IP.
So my advise is, just keep on using it, Steam has no way anyway to determine if someone uses an VPN except in cases like the one mentioned above.

Do you know if its possible to exclude steam from using the VPN connection, cause I want to hide myself in other countries that don't sell my private informations to advertisers with the VPN, I don't care if steam still knows where I am, I would prefer it anyways cause the ping for my favorite servers would be better than if I used the VPN IP from lets say Amsterdam or Rome.
Ogami Apr 10 @ 2:57pm 

Do you know if its possible to exclude steam from using the VPN connection, cause I want to hide myself in other countries that don't sell my private informations to advertisers with the VPN, I don't care if steam still knows where I am, I would prefer it anyways cause the ping for my favorite servers would be better than if I used the VPN IP from lets say Amsterdam or Rome.

I have no clue honestly. Never dived that much into VPN use myself. But that sounds difficult since normally your whole internet connection gets tunneled through the VPN client.
Use the route command if you know how.
"The VPN clarification"
http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/541906348043811845/#c541906348043951197

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9828-SFLZ-9289

Virtual Private Network (VPN) Software

VPN software will prevent the Steam client application from accessing the Steam network.
rawWwRrr Apr 10 @ 7:13pm 
Originally posted by Ogami:

You can depending on what VPN software/connection/setup you are using. Most people are only allowing certain traffic through the VPN while you are wanting all but Steam to go through. There are tons of hits on Google on "route some traffic through VPN" but I think that's opposite to what you want.

https://www.hideipvpn.com/setup/how-to-vpn-bypass-websites-windows/

That's about the easiest to understand for using route commands. You're basically telling Windows to route any traffic for a specific ip address to route through your gateway, not the vpn gateway. The question for you would be, what are the IPs for Steam? Much of the content on Steam comes from other IPs. Akamai serves up a lot of the content for Steam. Steampowered.com is 23.211.56.171 and that belongs to Akamai's subnet 23.192.0.0/11. You might have some trial and error before you get it all correct, but that's your start.
I've been highly on the fence on using a VPN with steam... from what I am getting it, one it works with steam, despite whatever people who don't use VPN want to spin. From the rules it was very up in the air on the use of VPN with steam. From what it says it basically states don't VPN to a location outside of your country or home of residence. To me that says, go crazy with VPN just don't exploit it for getting things early or cheaper.

With Steam use to selling a VPN service WHILE it had these rules it kind of shows that its acceptable and its a bannable offense on a case by case basis.

Honestly the perks of VPN are so stupidly high that it doesn't really make much sense to punish people for using them. My data gets encyrpted, I can avoid wrongful (and should be ♥♥♥♥ing illegal) internet throttling by my ISP, and another defense from interusions.
Last edited by (N☆G) Jackal ★JJ★; Apr 10 @ 7:17pm
Vince Apr 10 @ 7:23pm 
Originally posted by (N☆G) Jackal ★JJ★:
I've been highly on the fence on using a VPN with steam... from what I am getting it, one it works with steam, despite whatever people who don't use VPN want to spin. From the rules it was very up in the air on the use of VPN with steam. From what it says it basically states don't VPN to a location outside of your country or home of residence. To me that says, go crazy with VPN just don't exploit it for getting things early or cheaper.

With Steam use to selling a VPN service WHILE it had these rules it kind of shows that its acceptable and its a bannable offense on a case by case basis.

Honestly the perks of VPN are so stupidly high that it doesn't really make much sense to punish people for using them. My data gets encyrpted, I can avoid wrongful (and should be ♥♥♥♥ing illegal) internet throttling by my ISP, and another defense from interusions.

I'd like to know how you are avoiding throttling by your isp with a vpn
I want to be able to use a VPN to spoof my location to another country but not for Steam or online gaming, I don't want Steam to know I'm in another Country, I only want all my Internet traffic except Steam to think I'm somewhere else, I don't see a VPN connection in my country to be of any use for my privacy (I'M in Canada they share their informations to US so it would be useless to use a Canadian VPN location)
Originally posted by Six-Guns:
Originally posted by (N☆G) Jackal ★JJ★:

I'd like to know how you are avoiding throttling by your isp with a vpn

ISPs throttle based on your activites. That or they go in an put splitter after splitter after splitter while setting up which is an easy fix. But its been known that depending on what you do they start throttling you for it. Simple google search my friend, its a hell of a thing. Using VPN encrypts and they don't know what you're doing most of the time and normally don't care to try and attempt to decrypt your stuff, it would be a massive waste of resources if they did anyway. VPN is known to avoid throttling... its basically the number one method to see higher speeds.

I did the googles for you, enjoy. (:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1ASUM_enUS692US692&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=VPN+helps+with+throttling

I want to be able to use a VPN to spoof my location to another country but not for Steam or online gaming, I don't want Steam to know I'm in another Country, I only want all my Internet traffic except Steam to think I'm somewhere else, I don't see a VPN connection in my country to be of any use for my privacy (I'M in Canada they share their informations to US so it would be useless to use a Canadian VPN location)

I would highly suggest you just dont use VPN while having steam then. I mean you COULD do the whole filtering mess which isn't hard but honestly I still wouldn't risk it. If you were just using it to avoid throttling, have better protection, and encrypt most of your stuff then I'd say go for it.

But with that being said, I have searched for years now and almost have never seen a permanent account lock for using VPN. I keep hearing this guy knows someone and blah blah blah but its way to easy to just use another device like a cell phone and log with a new account to complain of being ban. I never saw that, never saw proof of someone being banned, and would think it is such a minor thing overall that steam probably doesn't care even if you do exploit it.... its a scare tactic that will most likely be enforced if they start seeing it used in a sizable amount... I MAKE IT CLEAR THAT THAT IS MY THOUGHTS ON IT, NOT ACTUAL FACTS for that last bit.
Last edited by (N☆G) Jackal ★JJ★; Apr 10 @ 7:57pm
Vince Apr 10 @ 8:26pm 
Eh, but throttling can still take place. I thought you were actually bypassing that somehow. You're just saying that by masking you make them less curious. If they want, they still throttle.

Thanks for the read though, I'll check it out
Originally posted by Six-Guns:
Eh, but throttling can still take place. I thought you were actually bypassing that somehow. You're just saying that by masking you make them less curious. If they want, they still throttle.

Thanks for the read though, I'll check it out

Yeah, but honestly I don't think ISP manually throttle. I think it legitmately is fully automated. They'd have to view a lot of packets from a LOT of people to do it manually and thats a lot of just wasted money on having someone just view all of that just to slow down someone. So I mean having a VPN could easily by pass it if it is in fact automated which is what it sounds like in most of the articles I've read.

Most ISPs throttle the VPN ports anyway...
✪Faqn2 Apr 10 @ 11:47pm 
+rep
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Apr 10 @ 2:28pm