Game Tags: Why can't we add Uplay, Origin, EA Account, Square Enix Account, GFWL tags to games?
Game Tags: Why can't we add Uplay, Origin, EA Account, Square Enix Account, GFWL, Third Party DRM tags to games?

What is the purpose of not letting us add these important tags? Isn't that like trying to hide the extra DRM so they can gain more sales? or gain sales from people who missed the very last small paragraph on that games store page saying it Requires "X DRM"?

It seems wrong to only list the DRM in a small black and white paragraph at the very end of that games store page and to prevent the steam community from adding these tags. Isn't it the Steam customers who should decide whats important to tag on a game?
< >
Beiträge 115 von 42
Well the reason is simple its not what tags are for
There to help you find, as in like light these is what you looking for, not these is not what you looking for
If they add a tag filter then these can be really good to be added
Zuletzt bearbeitet von Black Blade; 12. Juli 2014 um 14:02
Ursprünglich geschrieben von Black Blade:
Well the reason is simple its not what tags are for
There to help you find, as in like light these is what you looking for, not these is not what you looking for

The Irony is when I'm on Amazon I look for "Steam required" or Steam Key" games.

Either way tags should help you filter out all the games you don't want to buy including facebook games and extra DRM if you don't want to use it. Otherwise they are not much more useful then the store sections for each gaming genre.
Zuletzt bearbeitet von Wolfman-RIP; 13. Juli 2014 um 1:04
Ursprünglich geschrieben von Wolfman-RIP:
The Irony is when I'm on Amazon I look for "Steam required" or Steam Key" games.

Either way tags should help you filter out all the crap you don't want to see including facebook games and extra DRM. Otherwise they are not much more useful then the stoore sections for each gaming genre.
Well they are, you can combine them to find what you looking for as well as it been community made means its more things that the community is looking for

Over all i am sure you are not alone in wanting to also be able to filter tags
And to be honest i think they need to add a second tags for things people do not want to see, like 3rd DRM and so on

And what you say abut amazon, well that just gets my point stroger.. the reason you can search for Steam DRM on Amazon its as many see Steam is a + not a - for there games

When like you pointed out on the first post you do not see, and many do not see a double or more DRM to be something good, after all you are buying it on Steam not Origin/Uplay were there you may not like to see Steam 3rd Party DRM

And as its not wanted its something that dose not fit for the tags system we have right now
Zuletzt bearbeitet von Black Blade; 12. Juli 2014 um 14:29
Steam's tags were a complete failure in every sense of the word why are you looking at them at all?
Dog 12. Juli 2014 um 17:43 
I personally see no problem with adding those as tags, although I find the hate against any of them kind of unfair in most cases.

Does anything on here even require Origin on top? I thought some things just have EA accounts (which can use Origin ones too now) to unlock stuff.
Have they still not implemented negative tag filtering in search?
Zefar 13. Juli 2014 um 0:20 
Ursprünglich geschrieben von Fire Walk With Me:
Steam's tags were a complete failure in every sense of the word why are you looking at them at all?

Steam Tags are there to describe what type of game it is. What theme, type of game, content it has like maybe dragons, is it a FPS, Third person shooter or an RTS and a whole lot of other stuff.

That is what Steam tags are supposed to do and they succeed in doing so.

It is not there to describe what status the game is in. For that you head to the forum or the Review section and find out about it. Or people would just abuse the tag system and slam "Broken" on every single game ever made because of a single bug it has. Games which has a lot of haters would flood the tag system with a ton of bad tags.

But none of these bad tags would help people when they search for a game of their choice.
Zuletzt bearbeitet von Zefar; 13. Juli 2014 um 22:54
Not asking for negative tags as such since not everyone hates uplay/origin. I have Uplay games, EA games, Square Enix Games, Rockstar Games and GFWL on my account. I have them games in different groups in my games Library so I know what DRM I have to use when installing or loading up that game. The problem is it's easy to not notice a game has extra DRM as sometimes it's not even in that games description.

Adding "broken game" would be abused as thats purely a negative tag. Having tags for the extra account/program you have use is a factual tag. It lets that person know if they need to add it to Uplay/origin and get Uplay/origin related achievements or have to load up a additional service.

It would also be useful if we could see "already owned" when hovering over a game or DLC just as we see that for friends or this game requires "X DRM or account service" since they are VERY important to a significant amount of users.
Zuletzt bearbeitet von Wolfman-RIP; 13. Juli 2014 um 1:13
It would also be useful if we could see "already owned" when hovering over a game or DLC just as we see that for friends or this game requires "X DRM or account service" since they are VERY important to a significant amount of users.
well you can use Enhanced Steam[www.enhancedsteam.com] for that for now.. just like to point that out (and i do really recommend that add on)
Have they fixed the problem where people who don't own a game can tag it?
Depature 13. Juli 2014 um 10:17 
agreed
Ursprünglich geschrieben von Zefar:

Steam Tags are there to describe what type of game it is. What theme, type of game, content it has like maybe dragons, is it a FPS, Third person shooter or an RTS and a whole lot of other stuff.

It is not there to describe what status the game is in. For that you head to the forum or the Review section and find out about it. Or people would just abuse the tag system and slam "Broken" on every single game ever made because of a single bug it has. Games which has a lot of haters would flood the tag system with a ton of bad tags.

But none of these bad tags would people when they search for a game of their choice.

Regardless of whether or not trolls would flood the system - steam tags were and are currently a failure. People we told they could take part, they were then censored, then they were told they could only type certain things, none of which anyone was interested in.

They can't all be winner ideas - beta tags are a 100% failure. No one is taking part. Before you say anything - yes I am generalizing. I am sure people with orange stars next to their names think they are absolutely fabulous.

Valve could have just said "here are tags" and then implemented it. It would have been a better rollout. Now the majority of people simply hate them.
Zuletzt bearbeitet von Fire Walk With Me; 13. Juli 2014 um 12:02
Zefar 13. Juli 2014 um 13:04 
Regardless of whether or not trolls would flood the system - steam tags were and are currently a failure. People we told they could take part, they were then censored, then they were told they could only type certain things, none of which anyone was interested in.

Failure? Before we had these to go after.

Action
Adventure
Strategy
RPG
Indie
Massive Multiplayer
Casual
Simulation
Racing
Sports

That's 10 different sections with games we can look through. All which will show at most 100 games on the most sold list. Then we have to head into the small list which listed all of the games under those sections. Not all that good to go after.

With Tags as it can be seen on this page.
http://store.steampowered.com/tag/browse/#global_1756
We got now 101 tags to search for. These are also the popular ones too.
That is what it was supposed to do. It's not a failure because you can't label a game "Broken" or "Uplay DRM" or "GFWL ♥♥♥♥". The tags are there to identify what type of game it is. Not what condition it is in.

They can't all be winner ideas - beta tags are a 100% failure. No one is taking part. Before you say anything - yes I am generalizing. I am sure people with orange stars next to their names think they are absolutely fabulous.
Continue with that and you'll end up with a ban.

Valve could have just said "here are tags" and then implemented it. It would have been a better rollout. Now the majority of people simply hate them.

As if the majority hate it. We have a vocal minority that probably abused it and now they can't so they whine about it. Giving no good reason as to why it's failing and ignore all the points on what it was supposedly going to be used for.
Ursprünglich geschrieben von Zefar:

But none of these bad tags would people when they search for a game of their choice.

Games are already divided by genre and many games get lumped in genres they don't strictly belong in. The tags themselves often copy the genre names making that tag useless by itself.

Dayz for example is a FPS yet it gets put in the Action section which is strictly not a genre it belongs too as the FPS genre already covers the fact it has action in it. It is also listed as Massive Muiltiplayer which it also doesn't belong too as thats only for games with hundreds of player dayz has Up to 40 players per server. Up to 40 players per server is normal muiltiplayer for a FPS not massive.

The genre groups and tags are not enforced strictly enough to make searching for games any better then it is now. Tag's are not helping "enough" in my own opinion.

Valve should hire a gaming Guru to help create a better search and filter function with far more strict and specific genres. Increase the amount of genres we have in the drop down menu and provide a description for that genre that the Guru has to stick too when sorting the games on Steam.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von Wolfman-RIP; 13. Juli 2014 um 13:16
Zefar 13. Juli 2014 um 13:30 
Games are already divided by genre and many games get lumped in genres they don't strictly belong in. The tags themselves often copy the genre names making that tag useless by itself.
Games had 10 genres before on Steam, now there are 101 tags that are popular.

Dayz for example is a FPS yet it gets put in the Action section which is strictly not a genre it belongs too as the FPS genre already covers the fact it has action in it. It is also listed as Massive Muiltiplayer which it also doesn't belong too as thats only for games with hundreds of player dayz has Up to 40 players per server. Up to 40 players per server is normal muiltiplayer for a FPS not massive.

DayZ is an action game, FPS and Massive Multiplayer game but limiting it to one of them will be hard. What would you put it under also what good would it do? Because then you'll start to label every single FPS game under the FPS tag alone and nothing else. Which just breaks the tag system entirely.

It has several tags because people might search for a FPS game that is a Massive Multiplayer, zombie, hardcore survival and Simulation. Now he'll get a much smaller list of games that fit that list and DayZ will pop up in this list. That is what the system was made for.

Valve should hire a gaming Guru to help create a better search and filter function with far more strict and specific genres. Increase the amount of genres we have in the drop down menu and provide a description for that genre that the Guru has to stick too when sorting the games on Steam.

Or a person could just search for several tags at once because there are only so many genres you can make. The tags alone have far more valuable information than a Genre has.
< >
Beiträge 115 von 42
Pro Seite: 1530 50

Geschrieben am: 12. Juli 2014 um 13:44