This topic has been locked
Buyer Beware - Refunds - Steam Dishonoring Refund Policy
Don’t believe the adverts “Buy your games with confidence on Steam as you can get a refund if you played a few hours but do not like the game …”

I was turned down the first time I request the refunded payment to go back into my bank account. I fit all the prerequisites for a refund like I had all the other times before.

However, this time they requested more information without as so much to explain what was wrong with the detailed description (never needed before – just ticked the box ‘it was not fun’ with next to no hours played on the same day of purchase.

I requested more information myself as to why my initial info was not enough. No reply was given. They flatty refused me without reason despite the fact I requested refund on the same day of purchase only have played for a number of hours (which was not contested) and also having already provided good enough reason. “Difficulty of configuring settings” All prerequisite had previously been accepted when I was asking for refund into my wallet. Just not this time I request for the funds to go back into my bank.

It was an expensive game, Xplane11. Full price $79.00Au … mind you though I had only just spent like $180.00Au on Microsoft Flight Simulator Premium Edition just weeks before.

These guys really know how to make big spenders disappear. I also purchased addons already and previous to that made other purchases.

Beware folks … it would seem to be a matter of who’s keyboard you cross, down to where you request your funds go back. If the steam wallet with all prerequisites met it’s never a problem. Alas if you wish for the funds to go back into your bank account … Steam will make life difficult hoping you give up.

Best to try other places like Origin and Xbox Game Passes and the like to ensure whether a game is good enough.

For me this is not up for debate, but let those addicted for conflict comment as they must. Just know if you have been subject to this kind of deception … know that you are not the only one. We must do our best to discredit Steam for their dishonesty and spread the word.

This needs to be word pressed as I know admin will just delete and or fan boys will defend requesting more info to feed their own ego. So, it has been with the Admin Team. I’ve said what I have come to say and will ensure it is said many times again without the option for others to delete or even better … no option to reply. As is what they did with me.
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
I've never had issues purchasing using an external payment method and having refund back to it.

:qr:
I suspect there is some contextual info being omitted.
rawWwRrr Oct 19 @ 6:47pm 
So it was a refund that you were asking about over the weekend when you wanted to know who else to go to when Steam wasn't honoring their own policies.

How the penny drops....

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/4420805388070266816/

Did you get your lawyer yet?
Last edited by rawWwRrr; Oct 19 @ 6:49pm
cinedine Oct 19 @ 6:47pm 
Except this cannot happen with an automated system.
It checks for playtime and time of purchase and if the criteria are met it will accept, if not it will reject with the first failed criteria as reason.

The reason you give is only informational for the studio. No human being has anything to do with the requests.
F35 Oct 19 @ 6:47pm 
If "played for a number of hours" is more than 2 hours you probably won't get a refund anyway because that's the limit.
Never had a problem refunding back to my bank account. You probably are using the system to demo games and steam is just fed up with it from you.
Last edited by KingOfGamersBowDownToME; Oct 19 @ 6:48pm
It's possible that if you did many refunds they found it over abusing the refund system and therefore did not accept it
Refunds is not for testing games, its in case even after all the research the game had issues

I don't know if its the reason, but it sounds a little like it may be it from the start, can only recommend you try to refund less and research more (if that is possibly the reason from your own experience and how much you refund)
Did you submit a manual ticket for a refund? The bot only will stick to what it is set to, if you need a person to check it you have to put in a manual ticket.

It would be nice if they gave you a link for that with the bot refusal as a lot of people probably end up with sour grapes just accepting the bot refusal.
cinedine Oct 19 @ 7:04pm 
Originally posted by GunsForBucks:
Did you submit a manual ticket for a refund? The bot only will stick to what it is set to, if you need a person to check it you have to put in a manual ticket.

It would be nice if they gave you a link for that with the bot refusal as a lot of people probably end up with sour grapes just accepting the bot refusal.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they are going to remove that option or find an AI way to filter them. When people on the forums suggest it for games with 400 hours of playtime bought years ago, I can only imagine what they get.
Zekiran Oct 19 @ 7:08pm 
As I expected, that was absolutely something that support won't help with, given both attitude and being out of the refund window.

Do check back when you've got a lawyer ready tho. I'd love to hear more.
If you are with in the refund policy, then you would have received the refund on the first try... unless you have excessive refund, then you should have received a warning in one of the refund e-mails that abuse of the refund system (as it is not meant to demo games) can lead to revoking your ability to refund.

You can select "I have a question about this purchase" instead of "I wish to refund the game" and submit a manual ticket. If you are out side the refund policy, then they can still refuse a refund, but have been known to make exceptions now and then.
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Oct 19 @ 6:32pm