This topic has been locked
Why can't we disable updates for games?
For the life of me, why does Steam not allow me to disable updates to my games?

I had a stable build for a modded, completely single-player game, one thing get's updated and it's now a broken a mess. If Steam had the option to disable updates this would have been avoided completely as the state of the game and mods wouldn't have changed without any ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ user input.

And don't give me the ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ excuse that it's to avoid stupid people having problems not having updated their game. That's just catering to the lowest intelligent consumer and it's disgusting.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 48 comments
One of the things I really like about Kerbal Space Program is you can use the beta tab to play previous versions to match different mods. And you can move and play the game away from steam so it won't get updated.

I wish more games worked like this.
Because Valve build Steam as an auto-updater. It's a core function of Steam and a main principle of Valve.

Game developers can offer beta-branches that do not auto-update. Request the developers to offer a beta-branch.

It's highly unlikely Valve will change their stance, but you never know. Considering that people have been asking your question for over a decade now and still it hasn't changed, I'd say "don't count on it anytime soon".
SeanNorm Oct 19 @ 5:38am 
@GunsForBucks: Yeah that sort of works but unfortunately doesn't seem to stop mods themselves from updating.

@Crazy Tiger: I'd love for Valve to actually explain the reasoning for their stance. I mean, it makes sense for auto-update to be the standard but the option to turn off updates and workshop updates for those users that have the need to there's simply no excuse.
Originally posted by SeanNorm:
And don't give me the ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ excuse that it's to avoid stupid people having problems not having updated their game. That's just catering to the lowest intelligent consumer and it's disgusting.
The problem is that those are the people that will clog up the forums and support complaining about bugs that were fixed in more recent versions of the game.
I mean, it makes sense for auto-update to be the standard but the option to turn off updates and workshop updates for those users that have the need to there's simply no excuse.

It's just like all the security on Steam. If it's optional, then the people most in need of not turning it off will do just that. There are many people out there that aren't nearly as smart or clever as they think they are.
wuddih Oct 19 @ 5:45am 
that is not a problem Steam caused.
that is a game developer that does not care if any mod breaks with their updates and if they might care, they will provide beta branches of older builds.

literally the main reason Steam even exists is to ensure games are up2date because that makes supporting products a crapton easier.

and for context (OPs issue):
https://steamcommunity.com/app/294100/discussions/0/5087338135416211334/

and one of the replies tell OP to look at a 3 year old thread that tells users how to use beta branches.

I'd love for Valve to actually explain the reasoning for their stance. I mean, it makes sense for auto-update to be the standard but the option to turn off updates and workshop updates for those users that have the need to there's simply no excuse.
disabling updates will not become an available option.

you agreed to this:
http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/
@GunsForBucks: Yeah that sort of works but unfortunately doesn't seem to stop mods themselves from updating.

@Crazy Tiger: I'd love for Valve to actually explain the reasoning for their stance. I mean, it makes sense for auto-update to be the standard but the option to turn off updates and workshop updates for those users that have the need to there's simply no excuse.
Well that would be an issue with how you mod if you let the mods auto update. I don't do much modding, typically only things I made myself. So I never used a tool to install and update mods, but that isn't a valve/steam issue, that is the auto update from the modding tool used.
SeanNorm Oct 19 @ 6:09am 
@JPMcMillen Hence why auto-update should be default with no updates being optional, even if it needs a big red warning message that states that disabling updates may cause problems and to proceed with caution. Tired of being having control removed from users because of the dumbest common denominators needing things to be automated for their simple little brains. The choice should be there is all.

@wuddih So by default, for the dummies that need it, have auto-update standard with turning them off requiring digging into menus which takes intention.
The dev in question does provide previous branches via the beta options but it doesn't seem to stop workshop mods from updating, at least not always. I should have been more clear in my initial post that it was updates of all kinds not just base game. Went from having a game running stably to not working, all without any input or changes on my end. If Valve want to provide Workshop as a modding tool the option to turn off updates is necessary.

@GunsForBucks: It is an issue with the mod, but it could have been avoided were I able to disable auto-updates from the workshop. Probably going to have to abandon Steam Workshop for mods, especially given any changes likely aren't to be coming.
Ungstein Oct 19 @ 6:15am 
This is a really good idea, particularly for games with mods. Not even a back-catalogue of versions, just the option to disable updating from the installed version. No infrastructure required!
@JPMcMillen Hence why auto-update should be default with no updates being optional, even if it needs a big red warning message that states that disabling updates may cause problems and to proceed with caution. Tired of being having control removed from users because of the dumbest common denominators needing things to be automated for their simple little brains. The choice should be there is all.[/quotes]

Common outcome will be users forget they turned it off and will ask, "Why doesn't Steam remind us about updates?"

@wuddih So by default, for the dummies that need it, have auto-update standard with turning them off requiring digging into menus which takes intention.
The dev in question does provide previous branches via the beta options but it doesn't seem to stop workshop mods from updating, at least not always. I should have been more clear in my initial post that it was updates of all kinds not just base game. Went from having a game running stably to not working, all without any input or changes on my end. If Valve want to provide Workshop as a modding tool the option to turn off updates is necessary.

No they don't. Not when their core premise is keeping things current. If you want to stay locked into a certain period of time you're an edge case and you're on your own there.

@GunsForBucks: It is an issue with the mod, but it could have been avoided were I able to disable auto-updates from the workshop. Probably going to have to abandon Steam Workshop for mods, especially given any changes likely aren't to be coming.

Yes, probably. It sounds like you're not the target demographic for that system.
SeanNorm Oct 19 @ 6:37am 
@Brockenstein So what if common outcomes are dummies having problems? If they've gone in to turn off the default setting of auto-update then their problems are 100% on them.

No they don't, what? Have to provide basic functions of mod management tools that they provide? Sure they do, if they want people to use it. Which they apparently don't. Since you need why it is a basic function explained to you (must be one of the aforementioned dummies) I'll tell you; with mod updates comes incompatibilities, when a stable mod/build is found pausing updates to anything means a save or current play through can continue without issue.
Do you see now why it's a basic function of mod managers such as Workshop?

And yeah, clearly the demographic for Workshop must be nobody besides dummies given their staunch opposition to stopping updates.
Valve explained it when they created Steam. They ran into issues with their users not updating, so they made it mandatory.

Considering that you don't actually own the software and merely have a license to access the software, it's a choice that's up to the game devs. They are free to put their games on other services that don't require auto-updating.

I can understand the issues from your side, however the side of game support also has a point.

You know what you signed up for, at least if you read the SSA.
@Brockenstein So what if common outcomes are dummies having problems? If they've gone in to turn off the default setting of auto-update then their problems are 100% on them.
It's easy to say, but it ignores what happens
Like if we got on the security part, simply as their Valve try to make it optional with "its there problem" Valve give security and set that you can turn it off if you agree to a huge banner telling you that from then on your at your own risk

That did not stop users that did it to compline
That did not stop them from clogging support or posting the forums
It made scam bots profitable that meant all users where spam by them, also users that did not fall for it (here as a reference but not related to this case as much)

You can say it's their issue, but they're not likely to accept it or take it.

On this how ever I think it may be nice if Valve dose allow also mods to have branches so you can maybe stick to a non-updated branch, it will also let them set a beta branch for mods that may be useful, as well as lets games that don't force updates (using beta branches) to have mods for more then a single version (or broken into a few mods)
Last edited by Black Blade; Oct 19 @ 6:53am
Ungstein Oct 19 @ 7:16am 
Originally posted by Crazy Tiger:
@Crazy Tiger: You know what you signed up for, at least if you read the SSA.
Laws are not changed by accepting the status quo. As paying customers, we are entitled to make suggestions. Isn't that (among other things) what this forum is for?
Last edited by Ungstein; Oct 19 @ 8:12am
For the life of me, why does Steam not allow me to disable updates to my games?

I had a stable build for a modded, completely single-player game, one thing get's updated and it's now a broken a mess. If Steam had the option to disable updates this would have been avoided completely as the state of the game and mods wouldn't have changed without any ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ user input.

You already can, opt into the beta branch of Rimworld like the sticky tells you and it won't be updated and you won't have any issues.

It's not steams fault you never read the sticky and instead choose to whine rather then taking advantage of the features exist to do exactly what you want.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 48 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Oct 19 @ 4:47am