BUG: Memory Leak - "steamwebhelper.exe" Using 5.5 GB RAM
Edit: When I killed the offending process, the Library page went blank briefly before reappearing.

I realise this has been posted many times before but I would like to amplify the message as nothing has been done about it. Steam is turning into a bloated piece of "code"; the CEF process (steamwebhelper.exe) is currently using 5.5 GB of memory in a single process. Previous discussions seem to have isolated the leak to the Library, which seems accurate, as when I kill the process, the chat window stays open. I like to leave Steam open in the background, which I have done for over a decade. At this point I'd rather have embedded Internet Explorer instead of this crap. Could somebody from Valve please acknowledge this problem and provide a workaround at least. Hate to sound like a Karen but this really is unacceptable for an application that should have a minimal resource footprint.

Beta client is disabled.

If more information is required, please ask.
Last edited by Ungstein; Oct 19 @ 12:41am
Originally posted by Quint the Alligator Snapper:
The library went blank because it's a web-rendered page. The new Steam Library uses web-rendered pages for everything, even though it really shouldn't because it doesn't need to (the old one didn't need to do this).

OP, I suggest you use the -no-browser launch parameter. I'm using it too. Just turn your Steam shortcut from:
C:\installpath\Steam\Steam.exe
into:
C:\installpath\Steam\Steam.exe -no-browser
(If you have Steam set to start up on system start, then you'll need to find the startup process and edit that.)

This will break the Library as you see it, but you'll still have access to Small Mode, which is a list of all your games (and has the advantage of being keyboard navigable). Also you'll get the old Friends chat UI.
You won't be able to use Steam as a browser, not surprisingly. But you will have a Steam that launches with NO steamwebhelper.exe processes, which means it'll actually take less system resources AND launch faster.

If you need to use the Steam website, I strongly suggest using a standalone browser anyway; Steam's built-in browser is (still) missing a variety of features, such as keeping history, which is needed to find where the threads you posted in went, if they got moved, since the Steam notification page only says "moved or deleted".

(Furthermore, using your own standalone browser will let you realize that "sign in through Steam" shouldn't require actually putting in your login info, meaning that you'll learn that "sign in through Steam" pages that do ask you for that are phishing.)

Just be careful that you don't try to uninstall games through Small Mode. The uninstall confirmation prompt is also a web-rendered page (you see how silly this is now?) and since it can't be displayed, it will cause the uninstall to hang until you restart Steam. If you're using -no-browser, you need to go into Big Picture Mode to uninstall games.

...and, when you step back and look at this you realize just how silly it all is to have a mandatory game launcher that forces you to deal with this nonsense.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 44 comments
It may be related to Windows 7 to be honest, even that I am not sure on that
Regardless try to go to Steam → Settings → Libary and active Low bandwidth, low performance (and maybe also Disable community)
That should help at least
https://i.imgur.com/GuiAeVw.png
Ungstein Oct 19 @ 5:54am 
Thanks for the suggestions. I already have those settings enabled but it didn't help. Could be a Win7 thing but I think it's a bit of a cop-out to jump to that immediately. Hopefully there are some Win10 users out there with the same problem.
Ungstein Oct 19 @ 6:05am 
Somebody on the LTT forum suggested disabling GPU accelerated rendering in web views under Settings > Interface. I'll report back with results.
m4dEngi Oct 19 @ 6:06am 
Next they'll ask you to clean cache, reinstall drivers, reinstall steam, reinstall windows. When all those things fail you'll be redirected to client beta forums and forgotten.

Ungstein Oct 19 @ 6:08am 
Originally posted by m4dEngi:
Next they'll ask you to clean cache, reinstall drivers, reinstall steam, reinstall windows. When all those things fail you'll be redirected to client beta forums and forgotten.
Haha, you're damn right!
Not forgotten, I at least do try to keep a mental memory of all issues and stuff that I see popping around in case it starts to grow (used to keep tabs but it got a little out of hand, for now, I am sticking to around 250 tabs)

In any case, its all the steps to try and find an issue as it only shows on some devices and not all then most likely something locally is clashing, who needs to fix that can be any side, but if its not happening to everyone then....
My Steam seem to be around 500MB with the library open, and I got a pretty big library so I think I can say it does not seem to just be for everyone

also better not to reinstall but refresh Steam, takes less time and you lose less data while doing it

Also don't think the cache is related in this case
Win7 may be the issue as Valve kind of said there going to stop supporting it a while back so its very possible they're not testing issues on the Windows 7 devices

Besides all that going by steps is how you go by doing issues and reporting on the beta is when no one has an idea what it can be, so clear all options on the user side, and trying to push it to Valve guys that are working on the client to be more likely to see it, besides that sadly not much that can be done
m4dEngi Oct 19 @ 7:12am 
Originally posted by Black Blade:
Not forgotten, I at least do try to keep a mental memory of all issues and stuff that I see popping around in case it starts to grow (used to keep tabs but it got a little out of hand, for now, I am sticking to around 250 tabs)
In other words, you're just playing a backseat mod. And i think i already listed all the suggestions you guys repeat as a mantra: clean cache, reinstall, repeat.

But memory leak won't go anywhere until it is fixed by VALVe devs.
Ungstein Oct 19 @ 7:22am 
Originally posted by Black Blade:
Also don't think the cache is related in this case
The problem is precisely that there doesn't seem to be a cache, Chromium is just dumping anything and everything into RAM, just as it always has. I think this is more of a CEF issue than a Steam one, however I would like to know if there's any way to prevent this process from taking up so much memory!
In other words, you're just playing a backseat mod. And i think i already listed all the suggestions you guys repeat as a mantra: clean cache, reinstall, repeat.

But memory leak won't go anywhere until it is fixed by VALVe devs.
What? how is anything I said there back seat modding? I am not trying to moderate anything

Anyway yes they may need to fix it, as long as its an issue from Steam and not maybe some software or something clashing with it, that may allow the user to fix it themself

Even if Valve is to try and fix it, trying to find what is shared between everyone that has it, and there for a reason for the issue can help to fix it

The clean cache is related when you have view issues with the browser of Steam, here at least to me it does not seem relevant, why I also did not say it on the start
Reinstall is if the software has an issue, I at least recommend refreshing not reinstalling the client, and it does solve issues from time to time if something got corrupted, but I did not suggest that as I do think I saw a few users with this issue before, and therefore I do not think it's likely to just be something corrupted (even that it may be)

Clear the cash is common as of late for some that have an issue viewing stuff, it's not perfect but it does help a lot when its raised, it's easy to think everyone here just does "copy-paste" of answers but there is a bunch of guys on here that will try to dig and find the issue to solve it

"clean cache, reinstall, repeat." is for issues with the viewing of the client for the most part, and so far for most cases, it did solve the issue when it was not a general issue that got solved in a later beta update from possibly a reporting of the issue on the client beta

Anyhow this is not really on the topic, but honestly mate for a lot of the users that are on the forums trying to help users around, I find that really disrespectful to them and the time they're giving to try and help when someone has an issue, I personally don't think its disrespectful to me as I know I am not on the help area as some are, but seeing some of them I really find that bad, that is why I am making such a big reply back on this

But honestly, if you ever heard of the "did you try to turn it off and on again" or "did you try to unplug it and plug it back in" its not perfect stuff, but a lot of the time it does solve issues

Anyhow that is all on me on that, lets get back to trying to see if we can find the issue or what is creating it

Originally posted by Ungstein:
The problem is precisely that there doesn't seem to be a cache, Chromium is just dumping anything and everything into RAM, just as it always has. I think this is more of a CEF issue than a Steam one, however I would like to know if there's any way to prevent this process from taking up so much memory!
Whatever the case for the Steam client 5GB sounds way to much for what it needs to render on the library or at least most of its pages, I at least don't have it, and don't see many topics on the matter that I assume, something may be messing up Steam to make it do that, or Steam is trying to use something failing and dumping as of that

Just a random idea did you try to run as admin and see if maybe some how that helps? (after you maybe try the GPU acceleration disabled)
Last edited by Black Blade; Oct 19 @ 7:30am
Ungstein Oct 19 @ 7:38am 
At the moment I have only two steamwebhelper.exe processes running, both under 150MB RAM usage. I will leave Steam running overnight to see if it happens again.
Last edited by Ungstein; Oct 19 @ 7:38am
Originally posted by Ungstein:
At the moment I have only two steamwebhelper.exe processes running, both under 150MB RAM usage. I will leave Steam running overnight to see if it happens again.
So it does not commonly happen all the time? is there some amount of time on when the issue starts showing or something? like after few days or after a few hours, or after running a game or something?
Ungstein Oct 19 @ 8:16am 
It has been happening every day, after which I kill steamwebhelper.exe. This is why I need to leave it overnight.
Its not nessesarily a bug or a memory leak, its terrible design on valve's part that can be easily fixed. The main library will reproducably cause this if you scroll trough it as chromium is designed to cache in memory to speed things up.

Valve should alter their chromium fork that they use within steam, or rebase it on something like https://github.com/ultralight-ux/ultralight .
Win 10 steam web helper 511megs. 8 processes 1 at 180 two others just over 100.

I don't have many games and am not in Library just been on forums or playing a game.

I do leave my steam running 24/7 and has been running for days now, maybe even a week? Not sure as I did just get a recent Win10 update. I have noticed steam to be running a bit laggy/slow compared to a few weeks ago.
The author of this thread has indicated that this post answers the original topic.
The library went blank because it's a web-rendered page. The new Steam Library uses web-rendered pages for everything, even though it really shouldn't because it doesn't need to (the old one didn't need to do this).

OP, I suggest you use the -no-browser launch parameter. I'm using it too. Just turn your Steam shortcut from:
C:\installpath\Steam\Steam.exe
into:
C:\installpath\Steam\Steam.exe -no-browser
(If you have Steam set to start up on system start, then you'll need to find the startup process and edit that.)

This will break the Library as you see it, but you'll still have access to Small Mode, which is a list of all your games (and has the advantage of being keyboard navigable). Also you'll get the old Friends chat UI.
You won't be able to use Steam as a browser, not surprisingly. But you will have a Steam that launches with NO steamwebhelper.exe processes, which means it'll actually take less system resources AND launch faster.

If you need to use the Steam website, I strongly suggest using a standalone browser anyway; Steam's built-in browser is (still) missing a variety of features, such as keeping history, which is needed to find where the threads you posted in went, if they got moved, since the Steam notification page only says "moved or deleted".

(Furthermore, using your own standalone browser will let you realize that "sign in through Steam" shouldn't require actually putting in your login info, meaning that you'll learn that "sign in through Steam" pages that do ask you for that are phishing.)

Just be careful that you don't try to uninstall games through Small Mode. The uninstall confirmation prompt is also a web-rendered page (you see how silly this is now?) and since it can't be displayed, it will cause the uninstall to hang until you restart Steam. If you're using -no-browser, you need to go into Big Picture Mode to uninstall games.

...and, when you step back and look at this you realize just how silly it all is to have a mandatory game launcher that forces you to deal with this nonsense.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 44 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Oct 19 @ 12:21am