Steam level is dead
will now default to years of service and possibly badges created. fly your colors high steam level is dead.hopefully they give us the option to remove it.as its now just a joke...lmao
< >
Showing 1-15 of 72 comments
Originally posted by Guydodge:
will now default to years of service
You'll see no abjection from me :steamhappy:
Congrats on caring so much about a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ contest.
Originally posted by just.nuke.em:
Originally posted by Guydodge:
will now default to years of service
You'll see no abjection from me :steamhappy:

Nor me.
I am wondering why they want to stop selling trading cards. They saved me hundreds of dollars to get to level 100 and now going higher is pointless. Most cards will be worth 3 cents now, who wants them.
steam lvl was dead even before it came out.lol how ever its uncapped so its just as before.. get as high as u can regardless how u do it.. so in that case, steam lvl isn't really dead.. its still a race between your self and the badge lvl number u have..

as for crafting badges that too isn't dead since it also a race between youself and the badge collector number... you'll still keep crafting badges because you not nafter the xp but the overall badge level number..

steam profile is nothing but a number game, (steam lvl, badge numbers, games, achevements, dlc, friends, ect its all a number game..

everything u do on steam has a number linked to it..
Last edited by MadDoggyca; Jun 29 @ 5:26pm
Originally posted by Xite >X<:
I am wondering why they want to stop selling trading cards. They saved me hundreds of dollars to get to level 100 and now going higher is pointless. Most cards will be worth 3 cents now, who wants them.

Been my strategy also, I am stopping at 100 myself and letting spare level just happen.
Spawk Jun 29 @ 5:25pm 
I fell into the trap of trying to raise my Steam level when they first introduced it, thinking it would maybe lead to cool stuff down the road. Didn't participate fanatically or anything, but still. Then I realized how pointless it was and stopped. Anyone looking at people with high Steam levels is just gonna think they like wasting money. That's not exactly a badge of honor.
Guydodge Jun 29 @ 8:32pm 
Originally posted by MadDoggyca:
steam lvl was dead even before it came out.lol how ever its uncapped so its just as before.. get as high as u can regardless how u do it.. so in that case, steam lvl isn't really dead.. its still a race between your self and the badge lvl number u have..

as for crafting badges that too isn't dead since it also a race between youself and the badge collector number... you'll still keep crafting badges because you not nafter the xp but the overall badge level number..

steam profile is nothing but a number game, (steam lvl, badge numbers, games, achevements, dlc, friends, ect its all a number game..

everything u do on steam has a number linked to it..
i understanmd what your saying but its just not the same i wont be continuing any longer i'll let them drop as they may but as far as any more than that.. no.

Originally posted by Spawk:
I fell into the trap of trying to raise my Steam level when they first introduced it, thinking it would maybe lead to cool stuff down the road. Didn't participate fanatically or anything, but still. Then I realized how pointless it was and stopped. Anyone looking at people with high Steam levels is just gonna think they like wasting money. That's not exactly a badge of honor.
you didnt have to spend money
Last edited by Guydodge; Jun 29 @ 8:33pm
Valve royally screws over their loyal customers who spent a lot of time and money down the road to level up their badges. Why would most people waste any money or time crafting badges with cards anymore when a buggy mess like the "Grand Prix" can come up and allow people to level up their accounts for free in seemingly complete random and discriminatory manner. I don't even have a high level, but can see it's extremely stupid and nearsighted of them to let this go on, but it has gone too far and they probably can't (or more accurately won't) even reverse the damage done anymore. I won't be buying anything from Steam anymore.
I had fun crafting badges over the past decade myself tbh. Never spent any extra money to do it, usually just whatever cards I get from my games and holiday events got me up to level 45. Now just like that I'm 56 and my friend who was only around 17 after all these years just passed me.

It is interesting that they would decide to just hand out a decades worth of levels for nothing all at once, but whatever.
NathanD Jun 29 @ 9:26pm 
Originally posted by Beginner Guy:
I had fun crafting badges over the past decade myself tbh. Never spent any extra money to do it, usually just whatever cards I get from my games and holiday events got me up to level 45. Now just like that I'm 56 and my friend who was only around 17 after all these years just passed me.

It is interesting that they would decide to just hand out a decades worth of levels for nothing all at once, but whatever.

Next you will be saying that Valve would even cheat in their own game by throttling it behind the scenes ......hang on

This entire event has been what we used to term a ♥♥♥♥ Show, not sure how that translates in PR speak but there it is.
Originally posted by NathanD:
not sure how that translates in PR speak
"Wardrobe malfunction"
lol i'm sure some people are really ♥♥♥♥♥♥... I went from lvl 42 to 71 just from this event. For some reason I had over 10k points ready to spend on day 1 from what, I don't know. It doesn't really matter, I never took these levels seriously, but I'm sure some people are really butthurt...

My 15yr badge is more meaningful to me than level anyway...
Last edited by xenophobe; Jun 29 @ 9:48pm
Originally posted by Spawk:
I feel that way as well. I used to be big into leveling up my profile, but then, I had the same realization as you. I still make badges for the games I really enjoy, but that's not the same reason I made all those badges a few years ago. The only reason I'm level 73 now, is because I spent all my tokens on the badge.

It would be nice if your Steam level would actually give you useful benefits. Showcases are nice, but you aren't going to use all of them (or in some people's cases, the stuff they show off isn't anything special). And why do you need more friend slots? Who the heck needs 500+ friends? I feel like the amount of friends I have is too much...
LHGreen Jun 29 @ 10:22pm 
I don't understand why anyone ever put any real importance on the Steam level of other people, anyway. It's not actually indicative of nearly as much as people seem to think it does, in and of itself, and it's only non-personal use is self-perpetuation. The function of the Steam level is to help you increase your Steam level. Sure, it allows you to increase your friends list space and number of showcases and yada yada yada (functions that it seems kind of dickish to limit in that way, tbh), but that's all personal profile stuff that doesn't have much direct impact on anyone else. So even if you're concerned about your own Steam level and the stuff it allows you to have/do, it STILL doesn't matter in relation to anyone ELSE'S Steam level, so there's no real reason for all the envious bitterness. People seem to just be using it as an excuse to fight over something stupid, like kids on a playground arguing over whose shadow is longer or something like that. If people spent money JUST to boost their Steam level quickly, because they thought it would have some kind of major benefits to them or somehow make them profile-gods or some other self-aggrandizing crap, then they were just idiots. And if people idolized or envied people with Steam levels so high that it no longer has any practical use, then they were just idiots, too. They weren't idiots for thinking or doing these things, mind you; they're idiots because they KEPT thinking and doing these things, the whole time, and they're STILL at it, even though, by their own admissions, they've had YEARS to understand the system better.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying everyone, or most people, or even a particularly large number of people, who care about their Steam level are idiots. I'd certainly like to raise mine, get some card drops and maybe get some nice badges to have around and maybe display if I feel like it. I'm saying the people who place THAT MUCH importance on their own, and on other people's, as well, are idiots.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 72 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Jun 29 @ 5:16pm