Dungeons of Dredmor

Dungeons of Dredmor

Am7b5 Oct 1, 2013 @ 7:36am
Best crafted mace?
I'm using a dual weild mace build at the moment and was wondering what mace is best to craft?

I've seen people say it's Royal Beatdown, but Mace of Windu seems to have higher damage? Is there something I'm missing? :S
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Haldurson Oct 1, 2013 @ 9:05am 
Mace of Windu looks good to me. Also, the Asgaardian Stormhammer is a respectable alternative. Royal Beatdown isn't bad, but I'd choose the other two first. Note that both of those are artifacts, so they will have some random stats, so while the Mace of Windu may look better at first glance (because of the Aetherial damage), they are close enough that either one could be preferable.

Dwarven Atomsmasher has them both beat, so far as pure damage is concerned, but of course, if you don't have sufficient resists, that can be hazardous to your health.
I think The Royal Beatdown also procs Touch Of Midas on hit, which is something to consider if you're over-leveled. Powering through a monster zoo can be very profitable if you've got the stats to make up for the deficit in damage
intok Oct 3, 2013 @ 1:32am 
Stormhammer was my best weapon even after I made the Atom Smasher. Though ever since I stole the Kronghammer that has been my main weapon.

As said before, the Atom Smasher does incredible damage, the nuclear fallout doesn't seem to have any direct resist listed on any piece of gear and as such you'll need to be equipped with very good armor absorption and block chance to reduce the amount of damage you are doing to yourself. It's best used if you can teleport away and just keep swapping between the atom smasher to leave a fallout cloud to soften up your enemies then switch to your main weapon and get out of the cloud.
GrayedFox Oct 15, 2017 @ 9:54am 
I have also found that the Dwarven Atomsmasher is a serious health hazard (to oneself), and sort of goes again the rambo playstyle I was favouring as a dual wielding mace swinging doom bringer. Now I have to poke and run... the effect seems to have no resistance related to it at all (sort of like chaos damage in the Warcraft universe)
Dauntless Duelist Oct 16, 2017 @ 9:16pm 
Originally posted by GrayedFox:
I have also found that the Dwarven Atomsmasher is a serious health hazard (to oneself), and sort of goes again the rambo playstyle I was favouring as a dual wielding mace swinging doom bringer. Now I have to poke and run... the effect seems to have no resistance related to it at all (sort of like chaos damage in the Warcraft universe)
You probably don't have the right kinds of resistances?

Wait, this thread is also several years old. What is this? What year is it for you?
Last edited by Dauntless Duelist; Oct 16, 2017 @ 9:34pm
GrayedFox Oct 18, 2017 @ 5:04am 
Originally posted by Dauntless Duelist:
You probably don't have the right kinds of resistances?

Wait, this thread is also several years old. What is this? What year is it for you?

Haha man it's 2017 but I wanted to get back into this classic and I never bought the expansions until now. And I think, after some research and using my brain brain, that the "Smash Atoms" effect is actually transmutative damage (so a healthy 5 resistance to that should do it). Let's find out... that thing almost wiped my character the other day, I actually leave it in my backpack for emergencies.
I got curious and had to look it up to indulge myself. Interestingly enough, Dredmorpedia lists the effect as " 'Smash Atoms' whenever you hit in melee" correctly, but doesn't specifically state what that causes. From the Dungeonsofdredmor wikia, we find that 'Smash Atoms' has a 80% chance of making a Tiny Radiation Cloud, and a 20% chance of creating a Small Radiation cloud.

Respectively, these make a 1x1 and a 3x3 area that last for 24 rounds, dealing 1 Conflagration + 3 Putrifying + 5 Transmutative + 2 Aethereal damage per turn.

I'm assuming the 1x1 "area of effect" is of no consequence to the player, as it probably lands on the monster, not the player.
Last edited by [JOKG] ๖ۣۜSniggleboots; Oct 18, 2017 @ 12:57pm
GrayedFox Oct 18, 2017 @ 5:08pm 
Nice find on the damage types! I couldn't see it on Dredmorpedia - but maybe I should update it with that info and submit a PR against the repo. Thing is a 3x3 cloud will effect the player, since the 3x3 cloud forms at the middle square (2,2 on the X,Y axis). So you have one turn to back out without taking damage, and a single space bar tap or misclick will cause damage. It's kind of terrifying in tiny hallways. :steamsad:
Dauntless Duelist Oct 18, 2017 @ 6:53pm 
Originally posted by GrayedFox:
Nice find on the damage types! I couldn't see it on Dredmorpedia - but maybe I should update it with that info and submit a PR against the repo. Thing is a 3x3 cloud will effect the player, since the 3x3 cloud forms at the middle square (2,2 on the X,Y axis). So you have one turn to back out without taking damage, and a single space bar tap or misclick will cause damage. It's kind of terrifying in tiny hallways. :steamsad:
You could also just have the resistances to not take damage from that.
GrayedFox Oct 19, 2017 @ 3:15am 
Originally posted by Dauntless Duelist:
You could also just have the resistances to not take damage from that.

I think my char lacked any putrifying or transmutative resistance so I took a lot of damage, but that char is dead now, and the mace gone with it. Good to know what to spec/lookout for next time however
Am7b5 Oct 19, 2017 @ 2:13pm 
*unsubscribe from mace facts*
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Per page: 15 30 50