Dwarf Fortress

Dwarf Fortress

Linux and Mac OS support?
I do hope this release will have support for Linux and Mac OS like the original. Any words from the publisher on this?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
Michael Mar 13 @ 9:36am 
This is highly requested!
I'd be shocked if proton doesn't handle this with ease. I'm not honestly worried about it, and I only run Linux.
Nemoder Mar 13 @ 11:38am 
Kitfox has Mac and Linux versions of one of their other games so that is encouraging!
I really hope to see native versions though, DF is my favorite game of all time.
NOPper Mar 13 @ 12:22pm 
That would be ideal.
Tchey Mar 13 @ 12:31pm 
Dwarf Fortress runs on PC Linux since forever.

Proton is not Linux, it's barely an option to play some older games, or an option for some players unable to not-play some games, even if we already have 5000+ native Linux games in 2019.

Since i've definitively dropped dualboot around 5 years ago, my library might have about 5% non-Linux games i think.

Any update to the game or to Proton can break compatibility.

Actually so far i don't really understand this Steam DF.

20€ for less than we have for free-pricing (donation) ? Mods, tilesets, tools...
Does it matter if you're running a closed source blob with native code or a closed source blob through a compatibility layer if it ends up working the same?
Also, now it's finally possible to actually buy that game these guys have been working on for so long. If you rather get the normal version and deck it out with mods and optionally decide to donate money then it's fine but why just have it one way? You're not getting deprived by this store version the slightest.
Originally posted by Vladsamir Hydetin:
Does it matter if you're running a closed source blob with native code or a closed source blob through a compatibility layer if it ends up working the same?
Also, now it's finally possible to actually buy that game these guys have been working on for so long. If you rather get the normal version and deck it out with mods and optionally decide to donate money then it's fine but why just have it one way? You're not getting deprived by this store version the slightest.
You are talking nonsense in a manner of your profile name.
Obviously having native version is preferably. Proton is not a project to replace native versions, but to help run Win titles and ease migration to Linux.
*Yuki* Mar 13 @ 2:15pm 
linux plz. It makes no sense to make it windows-only, since original game runs natively for eternity
I asked the publisher today, the answer was basically: it's not been announced (sounded more like a no to me?)

Hope they do though for such a classic.
Originally posted by Linux LiamD:
I asked the publisher today, the answer was basically: it's not been announced (sounded more like a no to me?)

Hope they do though for such a classic.
I see no reason for this. Likely they just want to focus on Steam release, workshop support first, and then, when all issues be sorted out, add linux support.
Originally posted by rusty_dragon:
Originally posted by Linux LiamD:
I asked the publisher today, the answer was basically: it's not been announced (sounded more like a no to me?)

Hope they do though for such a classic.
I see no reason for this. Likely they just want to focus on Steam release, workshop support first, and then, when all issues be sorted out, add linux support.

I think the point that is trying to be made here is that Linux support already exists in the core game, and we just want to see it on steam/itch.
Originally posted by Tchey:
Dwarf Fortress runs on PC Linux since forever.

Proton is not Linux, it's barely an option to play some older games, or an option for some players unable to not-play some games, even if we already have 5000+ native Linux games in 2019.

Since i've definitively dropped dualboot around 5 years ago, my library might have about 5% non-Linux games i think.

Any update to the game or to Proton can break compatibility.

Most "native" ports are using some sort of translation from DX to OpenGL/Vulkan (I.E. Feral's IndirectX). Proton/WINE translate DX calls into native calls, which while it has a performance hit, it technically IS "native".
Originally posted by EagleDelta:
Originally posted by Tchey:
Dwarf Fortress runs on PC Linux since forever.

Proton is not Linux, it's barely an option to play some older games, or an option for some players unable to not-play some games, even if we already have 5000+ native Linux games in 2019.

Since i've definitively dropped dualboot around 5 years ago, my library might have about 5% non-Linux games i think.

Any update to the game or to Proton can break compatibility.

Most "native" ports are using some sort of translation from DX to OpenGL/Vulkan (I.E. Feral's IndirectX). Proton/WINE translate DX calls into native calls, which while it has a performance hit, it technically IS "native".
Proton is not native. But yes, it's not a WM/Emulation, but API translation layer for the most part.
Feral's ports are not native as well, since they use wrapper. It's the lazy job approach of making ports which result in perf loss, graphical issues(like lack of shaders) and introducing new bugs. Also Feral ports often have worse performance than WINE/Proton, so they would likely die out pretty soon.
Proton is not ideal for a game like this, due to CPU overhead struggling with an already CPU demanding game. Around 140 dwarves on any embark over 5x5 with decent world gen,trees,temp and you'll see no fps. There's already an option for Linux for DF now. I hope Toady pulls the trigger on support for Linux, it would be a dream. I'm so glad it's finally coming to steam, integration with the community features would be amazing for modding. I'm excited either way.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
Per page: 15 30 50