Sid Meier's Civilization V

Sid Meier's Civilization V

View Stats:
Keunus Mar 21, 2013 @ 12:07pm
Civilization 5 multiplayer Questions
I have a few questions about civilization 5 multiplayer,

Question 1
Are there enough people playing online to find a game?

Question 2
Do games ever get finished, or do most people just quit after a while?

Question 3
I saw some old posts saying multiplayer being a buggy mess, is this still the cause?
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Twelvefield Mar 21, 2013 @ 2:38pm 
1) I wouldn't count on it. While there are quite a few games, they are mostly private among Friends. Civ is too long and too complicated to trust playing with strangers. If you ask around the forum here or an Civ Fanatics, you should find some people willing to play you.

2) I've never won a multiplayer game. Either I lose, or we just quit, or the game crashes out.

3) Multiplayer is a buggy mess for many people. Some people don't see any problems, though, and there are some complicated fixes using a VPN network (I think) that could work. I keep hoping that Firaxis will patch the multiplayer, but it seems like such a long shot.
SpaceBoat Mar 21, 2013 @ 2:56pm 
!) - Definitely yes. Sure a lot of people play with friends, but at pretty much any time of the day, there will be 3-8 games that are open to the public.

2) - I think Twelve is being a bit over dramatic. Games do get finished, but again its CIV so most will take 3-8+ hours depending on how big of map. You will find more games end from people leaving, then anything else.

Mainly because you run into a lot of quitters. The second they lose 1 worker/settler, or don't get the expansion they wanted, they quit. It happens, it sucks to try to stick out a losing battle, but if you play, you should try to stay in as long as possible.

3) - Its hit and miss. The games I have been playing lately have been amazing, no bugs, minus the texture glitches that the last patch brought. Again, you will have a bigger problem with leavers more than anything. A lot of people jump into a game, but only stick around for like a half hour for some reason, the games are long, so as long as you got the time to finish it, I highly advise playing multiplayer.

You will easily find people to play with, I started playing with a friend, and have already had several friend invites from people who wish to play.

Again, your biggest problem will just be people who leave, or sometimes D/C while trying to join.
simpleflaw Mar 21, 2013 @ 3:13pm 
Originally posted by SpaceBoat:
!) - Definitely yes. Sure a lot of people play with friends, but at pretty much any time of the day, there will be 3-8 games that are open to the public.

2) - I think Twelve is being a bit over dramatic. Games do get finished, but again its CIV so most will take 3-8+ hours depending on how big of map. You will find more games end from people leaving, then anything else.

Mainly because you run into a lot of quitters. The second they lose 1 worker/settler, or don't get the expansion they wanted, they quit. It happens, it sucks to try to stick out a losing battle, but if you play, you should try to stay in as long as possible.

3) - Its hit and miss. The games I have been playing lately have been amazing, no bugs, minus the texture glitches that the last patch brought. Again, you will have a bigger problem with leavers more than anything. A lot of people jump into a game, but only stick around for like a half hour for some reason, the games are long, so as long as you got the time to finish it, I highly advise playing multiplayer.

You will easily find people to play with, I started playing with a friend, and have already had several friend invites from people who wish to play.

Again, your biggest problem will just be people who leave, or sometimes D/C while trying to join.

^ This, I second that your best shot is too find people like SpaceBoat, who stick to a game, to play with, either through forums or Youtube:)
Twelvefield Mar 22, 2013 @ 12:42am 
I think you're reading more into my post than there is. I have yet to finish a MP game that I have won or that hasn't crashed. If there's another way to say that, please let me know, but that's been my experience. Of course other people are going to have different experiences. I can't report on that, though, can I?
Staryn Mar 22, 2013 @ 4:42am 
Originally posted by Keunus:
I have a few questions about civilization 5 multiplayer,

Question 1
Are there enough people playing online to find a game?

Question 2
Do games ever get finished, or do most people just quit after a while?

Question 3
I saw some old posts saying multiplayer being a buggy mess, is this still the cause?

1. Yeah there are people around to play multiplayer, but don't expect to join a game uninvited and things go well. Like Twelvefield suggested, here and CivFanatics are great places to find other gamers. The MP sticky thread is a good place to start.

2. The MP game is very touchy. A lot of games go unfinished not because of quitters, but because of disconnects. (Actually, Twelvefield and I have an unfinished game from some time back we had to abandon because we disconnected every turn.)

3. MP is still buggy. I wish I could say otherwise. Even when it works there are design flaws and exploits that make it frustrating. Some people are lucky with getting it to work though.

Originally posted by Twelvefield:
3) Multiplayer is a buggy mess for many people. Some people don't see any problems, though, and there are some complicated fixes using a VPN network (I think) that could work. I keep hoping that Firaxis will patch the multiplayer, but it seems like such a long shot.

At one point someone suggested VPN because they said it worked. Then some people said disabling a VPN worked. Some people suggested changing bandwidth settings. I'm pretty much convinced these are the Civ equivalent of folk remedies, and what I find tends to contradict other things. I have for now given up on MP fixes (which is why I did not say much in the support thread). I'm hoping Firaxis will eventually do something.

Don't say Firaxis doesn't pay attention, why they heard we were praying during MP games, so they made religion a game feature...
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Mar 21, 2013 @ 12:07pm
Posts: 5