7 Billion Humans

7 Billion Humans

View Stats:
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
kylegabler  [developer] Aug 23 @ 9:54pm
Extra Game Settings (camera bob, subtitles, audio levels, etc)
You'll find some extra settings in your "settings.txt" file. It contains the following options:

camera_bob = 1 english_subtitles = 0 fullscreen = 0 language = system volume_music = 1.0 volume_sfx = 1.0 vsync = 1

camera_bob - Feeling motion sick? Try setting this to 0. (NEW as of Aug 24, make sure you have the latest update!)

english_subtitles - Force subtitles to display during cutscenes even if playing in English. (NEW as of Aug 24, make sure you have the latest update!)

language - Set your language code. We recommend ignoring this, and recommend using the language selector in game instead.

vsync - Turn vsync on(1) or off(0). We recommend leaving it on unless you have a good reason to turn it off.


And here is where you can find your settings.txt file:

On Windows: %APPDATA%\7 Billion Humans\ On Mac (Steam version): ~/Library/Application Support/7 Billion Humans/ On Mac (DRM-free) version: ~/Library/Containers/com.tomorrowcorporation.7billionhumansmac/Data/Library/Application Support/7 Billion Humans/ On Linux: UPDATE: Linux has not yet been updated with this change. It will be soon! ~/.local/share/Tomorrow Corporation/7 Billion Humans


Last edited by kylegabler; Aug 27 @ 8:11am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
Kuraishi Aug 24 @ 12:34am 
Thank you for the camera bob setting. It's not that bad, but after 4 hours of playing, I'm glad I can get rid of it.
Also, are you planning on allowing a way to unlock all levels in the future (similar to the cheat in HRM) so we can discuss levels without having to beat the whole game on new machines?
Thanks for your hard work, it's been wonderful so far.
Wuigi Aug 24 @ 5:49am 
Can you make the logical operators work more correctly please?
If I have a condition "a&b" and add "or c&d" so it is "a&b or c&d" I kind of expect that more workers match with that condition, not less.
In my case it was "my thing greater or equal left and" "my thing greater or equal right or" "left is wall and" "right is nothing".
Sometimes juggling the conditions around makes it work again, but it's a pita imo.
Last edited by Wuigi; Aug 24 @ 5:52am
Originally posted by Wuigi:
Can you make the logical operators work more correctly please?
If I have a condition "a&b" and add "or c&d" so it is "a&b or c&d" I kind of expect that more workers match with that condition, not less.
In my case it was "my thing greater or equal left and" "my thing greater or equal right or" "left is wall and" "right is nothing".
Sometimes juggling the conditions around makes it work again, but it's a pita imo.

*Apparently in real programming languages there is priority over operators, so I'll correct my post*

The conditions work like this in the game: Let's say you have 4 statements, a, b, c and d and you have something like the statement bellow

STATEMENT 1
if a and b or c and d

The game evaluates the statement like this:

if (a & b) or c) & d)

This means that:
  • if both a and b are simultaneously TRUE or just c is TRUE then we get TRUE
  • If the above returns TRUE and d is TRUE as well then the if clause executes

Long story short, the game evaluates the statement from left to right.
Last edited by Myrmecium; Aug 24 @ 2:51pm
Zyro Aug 24 @ 2:39pm 
Originally posted by Amanitus Toad:
The conditions work correctly. Let's say you have 4 statements, a, b, c and d and you have something like the statement bellow

STATEMENT A
if a and b or c and d

the programme in any real programming language would think like this:

if (a & b) or c) & d)

Erm, no. E.g. in C++, and ( && ) takes precedence over or ( || ):
https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/operator_precedence
Last edited by Zyro; Aug 24 @ 2:42pm
Originally posted by Zyro:
Originally posted by Amanitus Toad:
The conditions work correctly. Let's say you have 4 statements, a, b, c and d and you have something like the statement bellow

STATEMENT A
if a and b or c and d

the programme in any real programming language would think like this:

if (a & b) or c) & d)

Erm, no. E.g. in C++, and ( && ) takes precedence over or ( || ):
https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/operator_precedence

I have been doing C++ for 2 years and I see this for the first time. My bad then, I always used parentheses, because I thought operators had no priority over each other
Zyro Aug 24 @ 2:56pm 
Originally posted by Amanitus Toad:
I have been doing C++ for 2 years and I see this for the first time. My bad then, I always used parentheses, because I thought operators had no priority over each other

I'm doing C++ for 20 years now. :-)
(So the precedences feel so natural that I automatically expected the same from 7BH...)
Last edited by Zyro; Aug 24 @ 2:57pm
Originally posted by Zyro:
I'm doing C++ for 20 years now. :-)
(So the precedences feel so natural that I automatically expected the same from 7BH...)

I feel embarrassed now. Well, at least I learnt something new

(I will still use the parentheses though)
Last edited by Myrmecium; Aug 24 @ 3:08pm
Zyro Aug 25 @ 5:46am 
Originally posted by Amanitus Toad:
I feel embarrassed now. Well, at least I learnt something new

Don't. :)

If you plan to have another 18 years with it, I can only recommend reading "The C++ programming language" by Stroustrup.
Originally posted by -F3ATH3R-:
I can't play in Japanese.
Can I change the language setting of "setting.txt"?
Please tell me the setting of Japanese.

Japanese is not supported (according to the store page).
Thanks for adding more options! But I noticed something weird: On Linux I added the line for english subtitles in settings.txt but subtitles are not showing up in-game.

Also when I close the game the line got removed from settings.txt again. (While "camera_bob = 1" for example is still there.)

Here's my ~/.local/share/Tomorrow Corporation/7 Billion Humans/settings.txt as I edited it:
camera_bob = 1 english_subtitles = 1 fullscreen = 1 language = system volume_music = 1.0 volume_sfx = 1.0 vsync = 1

And here it is, after running the game and closing the game:
camera_bob = 1 fullscreen = 1 language = system volume_music = 1.0 volume_sfx = 1.0 vsync = 1
Last edited by chriskringel; Aug 25 @ 2:42pm
kylegabler  [developer] Aug 25 @ 3:56pm 
@chriskringel - sorry looks like the Linux version has not yet been updated with this change yet. We're working on it! And I updated the original post to note that as well.

@feather - we will be updating to include Japanese in a few weeks!
armando Aug 25 @ 5:56pm 
Hi Kyle,

Even with "vsync = 1", I see 140% CPU usage from "EGG GUI Thread", with fullscreen either on or off.
I checked that because I can hear the fans pick up... Pretty sure we can get this under 5% ? I just checked, World of Goo does not have this issue ;)

I am running a standard Xfce Linux desktop, AMD R9 280 (Tahiti GCN 1.0), Mesa 18.1 from Debian Stretch-backports.


And of course, big respect for helping start the Indie revolution 10 years ago with World of Goo !
Last edited by armando; Aug 25 @ 6:12pm
Gimlao Aug 26 @ 5:02am 
Can't find ~/Library/Application Support/7 Billion Humans/ on Mac...

There is no 7BH folder in Application Support. =/
Rogarth Aug 26 @ 11:36pm 
Originally posted by Gimlao:
Can't find ~/Library/Application Support/7 Billion Humans/ on Mac...

There is no 7BH folder in Application Support. =/

It's ~/Library/Containers/com.tomorrowcorporation.7billionhumansmac/Data/Library/Application Support/7 Billion Humans. The excessively long path is something to do with sandboxed apps.

Anyway, for this reason and others, it seems like the settings should be put in the game itself. I mean, there's a reason virtually 100% of other games have an in-game settings GUI and don't require users to go poking around in the depths of their systems. Yes, sometimes you can find a game that has stuff in settings files that's not in the game GUI, however that's for fiddly esoteric things, not basic settings like this. ;)
Last edited by Rogarth; Aug 26 @ 11:36pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
Per page: 15 30 50