Diesel Railcar Simulator

Diesel Railcar Simulator

View Stats:
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Lapioware  [developer] Feb 22 @ 8:38am
Planned updates
Here's a list of the planned updates for Diesel Railcar Simulator. Making the sim extensible by adding a route and train editors is currently a high priority. After that the graphics will be improved bit by bit to modern standards over a number of updates.

Route editor update
  • First version of the route editor
  • Minor scenery improvements

Train update 1
  • New train(s): loco(s) + wagons or coaches (probably Class 03 and/or 08 and/or 37)
  • Train physics improvements

Train editor
  • First version of the train editor
  • Ability to import your own 3D-models for trains and scenery

Scenery update
  • Increased terrain resolution and more textures
  • Grass and bushes
  • Fields and forests
  • More realistic roads and fences
  • More and better house/building models

Infrastructure update
  • More realistic and detailed track models
  • Uneven track 3d-models to match rails to wheel movement
  • More realistic signal placement
  • Better signal models
  • Improved and more flexible bridge models
  • Better station platforms, buildings and props
  • Stopping markers will be moved onto the platforms where they belong

Train update 2
  • Improved train exterior and interior models and textures
  • New DMU classes (to be announced later)
  • Missing train physics will be added (handbrake, stopping of engines)
  • People inside the trains

Final update
  • Miscellaneous

This isn't a comprehensive list of all the planned updates. An improved user interface and Steam workshop integration is also planned, as well as a number of smaller fixes and improvements where required.

The intention is to release an update every 2-3 months with the final one around March 2019, but this cannot be guaranteed.

Wishlist
Features on the wishlist may be included in some of the updates but it's not guaranteed.
  • Routes and trains from other eras and countries (players may also develop new content with the editors once they become available)
  • Hardware support: Virtual Reality, joysticks, gamepads, Rail Driver controller
  • Weather effects
  • Nighttime lighting
  • Digital elevation map and OpenStreetMap support for route editor
  • Animated vehicle ends: buffers, couplings, hoses, gangways etc.
  • Train failures
  • Shunting
  • Automatic four seasons
  • Scenery animation: pedestrians, animals, cars etc.
  • Saving a run and continuing it at a later time
  • Linux/Mac versions
  • Other signalling systems
  • Translations to other languages
  • Tunnels
  • Water (streams, river, lakes, seashore)
  • Brightness/gamma/contrast
  • Selecting which gauges to display on HUD
  • Animated crossing gates
  • Dynamic destination boards, route indicators, unit numbers etc.

Things that very likely will not be included
  • Detailed support for electric trains and steam locomotives (it might be possible to do these with the train editor but the physics and operation may be unrealistic)
  • Multiplayer
  • Detailed simulation of signalman's or guard's duties
  • Walking outside the train
Last edited by Lapioware; Sep 2 @ 9:16am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 201 comments
Oystein Feb 22 @ 11:04am 
Thank you for providing us with this information about the planned updates.

Regarding the route and train editor in the two next updates, will this just let us edit existing content, or will it let us create and import own content (like scenery objects and trains)?

In the list of things that likely will not be included, is this things that you don't think will be included in the first version of DRS, or also in the future versions?

I hope there will be support for air brakes in the future. Will the upcoming locomotive and wagons/coaches have vacuum brakes?
Lapioware  [developer] Feb 23 @ 12:07am 
Hi Oystein, nice to see you here on Steam as well!

The editors are meant for creating new stuff but it'll probably be possible to edit the existing routes and trains too. Some people might appreciate the possibility of locking down their work so that others can't modify them.

I'll try to make it possible to import your own models for the train editor update, if not earlier. Without such feature the editors will not be fully useful.

Air brakes - of course, they shouldn't be too hard to make by adapting the existing vacuum brake and exhauster code. The coaching stock included in the next update will very likely be vacuum-braked Mk1s but for the goods wagons I was thinking about loose-coupled wagons with hand brake only. I haven't yet found any freely or commercially licensed 3d-models of such wagons yet, so the question is still open.

Once Diesel Railcar Simulator is complete, I'll reconsider the remaining features on the wishlist and the "not included" list for implementation in whatever project comes after that.
Originally posted by Lapioware:
Hi Oystein, nice to see you here on Steam as well!

The editors are meant for creating new stuff but it'll probably be possible to edit the existing routes and trains too. Some people might appreciate the possibility of locking down their work so that others can't modify them.

I'll try to make it possible to import your own models for the train editor update, if not earlier. Without such feature the editors will not be fully useful.

Air brakes - of course, they shouldn't be too hard to make by adapting the existing vacuum brake and exhauster code. The coaching stock included in the next update will very likely be vacuum-braked Mk1s but for the goods wagons I was thinking about loose-coupled wagons with hand brake only. I haven't yet found any freely or commercially licensed 3d-models of such wagons yet, so the question is still open.

Once Diesel Railcar Simulator is complete, I'll reconsider the remaining features on the wishlist and the "not included" list for implementation in whatever project comes after that.
wagons or coaches? would you plan on adding a class 08?
Lapioware  [developer] Feb 23 @ 10:39am 
Mk1 coaches plus some kind of goods wagons depending on the models I can find. I have obtained the models of two locos and one of them happens to be Class 08 so you're in luck! The model is not of very high quality though and I'll need to try to improve it with my limited modelling skills.
Oystein Feb 24 @ 11:06am 
That sounds good and it makes sense regarding the editors. Do we need Unity to be able to use the editors? I have already installed Unity and are doing some tests with objects from LightWave 3D, seems to work fine after some troubleshooting.
Lapioware  [developer] Feb 24 @ 8:56pm 
I'm developing the editors on top of Unity so you don't need to have it or have prior experience with it. The file format of the 3D-models with very likely be .obj which most modelling programs can export to. The textures will be plain .png or .jpg files with different roles for making PBR materials (albedo, normals, metalness etc.)
Oystein Feb 25 @ 12:43pm 
Must be a lot of work to create the editors, but I guess you have planned it from the beginning. It's sure that the sim will gain popularity with the tools to create content.

I know that a .obj file do not support animations, will the sim support the .fbx format too?
Maybe we should start a new topic about this, so we don't derail from this thread's topic :)
Originally posted by Lapioware:
Mk1 coaches plus some kind of goods wagons depending on the models I can find. I have obtained the models of two locos and one of them happens to be Class 08 so you're in luck! The model is not of very high quality though and I'll need to try to improve it with my limited modelling skills.
Would it be possible to have it numbered 08757/D3925 as that one i hold very close to my heart as i see it a lot at the telford steam railway i work at.
Lapioware  [developer] Feb 27 @ 12:39am 
Originally posted by j_u_s_t_m_o_n_i_k_a:
Would it be possible to have it numbered 08757/D3925 as that one i hold very close to my heart as i see it a lot at the telford steam railway i work at.

Can't promise anything but I'll see what I can do!
Can we buy it : D will they be add-ons to buy like new routes trains?
Last edited by *****games12345; Feb 27 @ 6:18am
Lapioware  [developer] Feb 27 @ 10:57am 
The game will be released on Monday 5th of March so a week from now. There will be new routes and trains but I think most of them will probably be free.
Sweet right on my birthday!
How about saving and loading a scenario? Sometimes I just wanna start a long scenario, only to continue it a few days later.
Lapioware  [developer] Mar 5 @ 8:42am 
Originally posted by Carl Max:
How about saving and loading a scenario? Sometimes I just wanna start a long scenario, only to continue it a few days later.
Yes, good idea, I'll add it to the list!
Last edited by Lapioware; Mar 5 @ 8:42am
Regarding the 3D models of wagons - have you considered contacting Digital Traction? I'm sure we'd be happy to arrange something - we do have a fair few wagons in Train Simulator, so you could pick and choose the ones you wanted. Unfortunately we don't have any up to date diesel locos though, sorry.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 201 comments
Per page: 15 30 50