Dungeon Defenders

Dungeon Defenders

View Stats:
Lizarino Jan 21, 2016 @ 11:55am
How to get higher than 60 fps?
I have searched the discussions and can't find anything related, so I'm making a new topic.

I have a 144Hz monitor and want to play at atleast 120 fps but right now it's capped at 60, even though v-sync is disabled.
I know you can get 120 fps (at least) because a few months ago my game kept giving me 120 fps cap.
Any fix?
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Manicka111 Jan 21, 2016 @ 11:58am 
Your GPU might be limiting it.
And if you have 144Hz Vsync would not cap it to 60 but 144.
Lizarino Jan 21, 2016 @ 12:20pm 
Originally posted by Manicka:
Your GPU might be limiting it.
And if you have 144Hz Vsync would not cap it to 60 but 144.

I don't think a GTX 980 Ti would limit it and if I enabled v-sync it would be pointless having g-sync
Manicka111 Jan 21, 2016 @ 12:33pm 
Originally posted by fly8fly™:
Originally posted by Manicka:
Your GPU might be limiting it.
And if you have 144Hz Vsync would not cap it to 60 but 144.

I don't think a GTX 980 Ti would limit it and if I enabled v-sync it would be pointless having g-sync
I didn't mean it's not powerfull enough i meant it might have some sort of v-sync.
Tydo Jan 23, 2016 @ 3:36am 
Here is your problem.

bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=22
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62

in [Engine.Engine] in UDKEngine.ini. That whole block is Protected. Needs some sort of hack to bypass that limit.

Vsync off in the inifile and in your driver control panel is not enough.

v8.0 and v8.1 both smashed the inifiles, so if you had some doctored ones that worked before then those have been reset by now.
Lizarino Jan 23, 2016 @ 7:02am 
Originally posted by Tydo:
Here is your problem.

bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=22
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62

in [Engine.Engine] in UDKEngine.ini. That whole block is Protected. Needs some sort of hack to bypass that limit.

Vsync off in the inifile and in your driver control panel is not enough.

v8.0 and v8.1 both smashed the inifiles, so if you had some doctored ones that worked before then those have been reset by now.
So is there any way to change it?
Transient Jan 23, 2016 @ 7:38am 
I saw a post on this about a week ago and favorited it because one day I might want to do the same. The link below tells you how to get more than 60 fps

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=5fb3bbe0b05cfe211a1062e6eaf45496&t=2452125
Tydo Jan 23, 2016 @ 9:05am 
Nice.

Short version of that:
in [Engine.GameEngine] in the same file (UDKEngine.ini), at the end of the block, add a line only containing "bSmoothFrameRate=False", of course without the quotes.

Just tried it and it works, with vsync off everywhere else too, meaning in your driver and the vsync entry in the [SystemSettings] block in the ini.
That completely lifts the limit, instead of just adjusting the min and max values.

Now im itching to see if i can turn hardware PhysX back on that way too, without crashes, since that is in the same section. :))
Lizarino Jan 23, 2016 @ 10:24am 
I think I've managed to fix it although when I join some games online it caps my FPS at 65.
CrzyRndm Jan 26, 2016 @ 1:55pm 
So just as a little something to be aware of, you probably don't want to uncap the framerate on Moonbase (it works in the moon tavern as well, but you have lots of ways of getting out in the tavern).
https://youtu.be/X3AA3zKW4e0

Basically, the low gravity implementation used by the map creator is a little bit of a hack (don't ask why he didn't do it through normal methods because I don't know). That hack is fps dependent so the higher your fps, the more of a push upwards you get (overcoming normal gravity around 100fps)
Lizarino Jan 26, 2016 @ 2:04pm 
Originally posted by CrzyRndm:
So just as a little something to be aware of, you probably don't want to uncap the framerate on Moonbase (it works in the moon tavern as well, but you have lots of ways of getting out in the tavern).
https://youtu.be/X3AA3zKW4e0

Basically, the low gravity implementation used by the map creator is a little bit of a hack (don't ask why he didn't do it through normal methods because I don't know). That hack is fps dependent so the higher your fps, the more of a push upwards you get (overcoming normal gravity around 100fps)
G-sync caps my fps to 144, would it still be fine?
pew pew pew Jan 26, 2016 @ 3:28pm 
Originally posted by CrzyRndm:
So just as a little something to be aware of, you probably don't want to uncap the framerate on Moonbase (it works in the moon tavern as well, but you have lots of ways of getting out in the tavern).
https://youtu.be/X3AA3zKW4e0

Basically, the low gravity implementation used by the map creator is a little bit of a hack (don't ask why he didn't do it through normal methods because I don't know). That hack is fps dependent so the higher your fps, the more of a push upwards you get (overcoming normal gravity around 100fps)
Ha, sooooo I was really jumping lower when I've build someones Tavern full of lag producing towers :)
CrzyRndm Jan 26, 2016 @ 4:22pm 
Originally posted by fly8fly™:
G-sync caps my fps to 144, would it still be fine?
Trying it out by jumping in the tavern is the best test, but it really depends:
So long as you don't play on moonbase, you'll be fine. Moonbase, you'll probably never come down if your feet leave the floor (physics works differently in this game when walking...) that is if your computer can keep the fps up when things get heavy (I slam into the roof during build phase because fps gets way up, but with monsters and towers going it gets down to a light floating effect...).

That is the other issue, variable fps results in variable jump heights...
Last edited by CrzyRndm; Jan 26, 2016 @ 5:46pm
Lizarino Jan 27, 2016 @ 1:01am 
Originally posted by CrzyRndm:
Originally posted by fly8fly™:
G-sync caps my fps to 144, would it still be fine?
Trying it out by jumping in the tavern is the best test, but it really depends:
So long as you don't play on moonbase, you'll be fine. Moonbase, you'll probably never come down if your feet leave the floor (physics works differently in this game when walking...) that is if your computer can keep the fps up when things get heavy (I slam into the roof during build phase because fps gets way up, but with monsters and towers going it gets down to a light floating effect...).

That is the other issue, variable fps results in variable jump heights...
In the tavern if I jump I go through the ceiling a bit and can see out of the map.
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Jan 21, 2016 @ 11:55am
Posts: 13