NieR:Automata™

NieR:Automata™

View Stats:
SeemsGood Aug 15, 2017 @ 6:47pm
Broken game
I have a GTX 1070AMP and an ultrawide monitor (2560x1080) and it's been a while since I've been waiting for a patch to fix the problem of playing full screen, STILL AFTER ALL THAT TIME THE GAME CONTINUES BROKEN, THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT SUPPORT YOU HAVE YOUR CUSTOMERS.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 27 comments
Aemony Aug 15, 2017 @ 7:54pm 
The below steps should give you a 1920x1080 centered fullscreen image (as long as scaling is disabled in your Nvidia Control Panel, that is) on your monitor, with black bars surrounding it. It is probably the best you can get since the game doesn't support 21:9 resolutions (all HUDs are stretched from 16:9).

1. Download and install FAR.

2. When in-game, configure the game to run at 2560x1080 fullscreen.

3. Then open FAR's config menu (Ctrl+Shift+Backspace) and navigate to the Display menu and enable "Force Override":

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1111982656
4. Finally configure the game to run at 1920x1080.
Last edited by Aemony; Aug 15, 2017 @ 7:54pm
SeemsGood Aug 15, 2017 @ 9:28pm 
Originally posted by N°17:
I have a GTX 1070AMP and an ultrawide monitor (2560x1080) and it's been a while since I've been waiting for a patch to fix the problem of playing full screen, STILL AFTER ALL THAT TIME THE GAME CONTINUES BROKEN, THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT SUPPORT YOU HAVE YOUR CUSTOMERS.
wow worked, thx
Aemony Aug 15, 2017 @ 9:42pm 
By the way, be careful with the Force Override setting. It might cause issues when you launch the game or try and Alt+Tab out of the game. You can always disable it by changing "ForceFullscreen" to false in dinput8.ini and then enable it back in the game.

What I tend to do is enable it in the config menu at the start of the game during the intros or during the loading screen for the main menu. Then it takes effect when the game does its fullscreen change after the loading screen is finished.
Qpax ツ Aug 16, 2017 @ 12:07pm 
Originally posted by Aemony:
The below steps should give you a 1920x1080 centered fullscreen image (as long as scaling is disabled in your Nvidia Control Panel, that is) on your monitor, with black bars surrounding it. It is probably the best you can get since the game doesn't support 21:9 resolutions (all HUDs are stretched from 16:9).

1. Download and install FAR.

2. When in-game, configure the game to run at 2560x1080 fullscreen.

3. Then open FAR's config menu (Ctrl+Shift+Backspace) and navigate to the Display menu and enable "Force Override":

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1111982656
4. Finally configure the game to run at 1920x1080.

Are you telling me we shouldn't play the game in 2K resulotion even though we have g-sync 144hz 2K monitors and just go back to playing only in 1080p instead? Well ♥♥♥♥ man if that's the case the game would looks so ♥♥♥♥♥♥ in 1080p and there is no even need to buy game if it doesnt even support over 1080p resulotion even.
Aemony Aug 16, 2017 @ 12:55pm 
Read what I wrote. The game supports resolutions above 1080p, but the interface, HUD and everything is stretched from a 16:9 aspect ratio. This is true regardless if you're playing at 2560x1600 (16:10) or 2560x1080 (21:9).

As for my suggestion to play at 1920x1080, that's because the resulting image would be a pixel perfect representation of the game in the middle of your monitor without stretched interfaces or HUDs. To me, that's far more preferably to use than an interface that's stretched to fit a 21:9 aspect ratio.
ILikeH8 Aug 16, 2017 @ 2:51pm 
That'll happen when you fall for the nvidia meme and buy literal trash cards.
Aemony Aug 16, 2017 @ 5:03pm 
Originally posted by ILikeH8@^ | No.VAC:
That'll happen when you fall for the nvidia meme and buy literal trash cards.

?

The game is at fault here. AMD didn't solve the fullscreen issue either, they just mitigated the white screen crashes on their current generation of cards. They still suffer from it, but not as frequently as before.

Nvidia have done the same for 780/780 Ti already as well, they say.

The rest (fullscreen output issue + below-native resolutions being stretched to the native resolution + interface stretched from 16:9 to other aspect ratios) are all the game's fault.
Qpax ツ Aug 17, 2017 @ 2:40am 
So are you telling me to play in 1080p even though I have 2K monitor? But it would look so bad when you not run the game in native resulotion. It wouldnt be different than playing the game in streched version. I mean you are playing the game in 1080p and in order the game to fit your screen then of course the game would going to strech itself when you are playing the game with 2K monitor. So I don't understand what will be any difference if you play it streched version in 2K and 1080p it doesnt make any difference since you will be still played at upscaled version.
Last edited by Qpax ツ; Aug 17, 2017 @ 3:18am
Níðhöggr Aug 17, 2017 @ 3:57am 
As aemony said, the best option here is to play 1920x1080 without gpu scaling.

Firstly, the fullscreen bug must be fixed. FAR mod can do it. Without fix, the game will likely pick a 4:3 resolution like 1600x1200 and make it default as game resolution on a 21:9 2560x1080 screen. You can imagine the result, it will be ugly. Deformed and blurry.

Secondly, the game UI is natively 16:9 and doesn't support other ratio like 21:9 or 4:3. Meaning it will be stretched from 16:9. To avoid that we can just use 1920x1080 unscaled on a 2560x1080 screen.

We loose the advantage of an ultra wide screen but the game is more pleasant to look at.
Aemony Aug 17, 2017 @ 5:47am 
Originally posted by Qpax ツ:
So are you telling me to play in 1080p even though I have 2K monitor? But it would look so bad when you not run the game in native resulotion. It wouldnt be different than playing the game in streched version. I mean you are playing the game in 1080p and in order the game to fit your screen then of course the game would going to strech itself when you are playing the game with 2K monitor. So I don't understand what will be any difference if you play it streched version in 2K and 1080p it doesnt make any difference since you will be still played at upscaled version.

You seem to misunderstand something here. If configured correctly (GPU/monitor scaling disabled) then the total number of pixels on the monitor does not matter, as the game will use the same amount of pixels on the monitor as the resolution of the game. Ergo you get an pixel perfect image where every pixel used on-screen correlates to a pixel in the game.

The reason why 1920x1080 is preferred over 2560x1080 on a 2560x1080 monitor is because with GPU/monitor scaling disabled the resulting 1920x1080 image (albeit it have black borders on the sides) will be a pixel perfect representation of the game with no stretching applied anywhere.

It sounds like you aren't aware that you can disable GPU/monitor scaling at all. If I want to play a 640x480 game centered in the middle of my 2560x1440 monitor with huge black borders around it then I can easily do so without any stretching at all, as long as I disable GPU/monitor scaling.
Qpax ツ Aug 17, 2017 @ 10:05am 
I am kinda uneducated when it comes to this kind of issues so thanks both of you for taking your time and explaining it in the first place.

So is there any guide how can disable gpu/monitor scaling so that I can play the game with 1080p resulotion without HUD's getting stretched so that I can get good and pleasant visuals that I can look at.

I would be really happy if you guys explain it in simpler terms and in a short way so I wouldnt take your time but if there is a guide then I'd read that rather. Thanks in advance!
Aemony Aug 17, 2017 @ 10:31am 
If you have a Nvidia card:

1. Right click the desktop in Windows and click on NVIDIA Control Panel.

2. Wait for it to load. It might take up to 10 seconds or so before the window is opened.

3. When the NVIDIA Control Panel window have opened,
navigate to the Adjust desktop size and position page in the menu to the left, under "Display".

4. Ensure that Scaling is set to No scaling and that Perform scaling on is set to GPU.

5. Click Apply to save the changes.

After that, all you need to do is follow my previous post in this thread to ensure that NieR:Automata respects the display scaling properly (the Force Override option in FAR).
Qpax ツ Aug 17, 2017 @ 12:54pm 
Thanks dude for your time and reply.
Níðhöggr Aug 17, 2017 @ 1:44pm 
I spent hours to trying to fix my tearing issue while I had freesync enabled. I kept digging in and found out the real issue. I tried FAR and it didn't work out for me so I came up to an alternative way.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=972209456

Game is perfectly smooth now!

Aemony Aug 17, 2017 @ 1:52pm 
Originally posted by Níðhöggr:
I spent hours to trying to fix my tearing issue while I had freesync enabled. I kept digging in and found out the real issue. I tried FAR and it didn't work out for me so I came up to an alternative way.

Game is perfectly smooth now!

Btw, regarding your guide, have you tried it with sub-native resolutions with display scaling disabled in the display drivers?

Because I am pretty sure even with your guide people would experience a scenario where the lower resolution doesn't respect the disabled display scaling and instead is stretched to fit the native resolution of the monitor.

Edit: The only solutions I know of to that issue is to either lower the destop resolution in Windows or to enable FAR's built-in Force Fullscreen option.
Last edited by Aemony; Aug 17, 2017 @ 1:56pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 27 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Aug 15, 2017 @ 6:47pm
Posts: 27