SCUM
SCUM > General Discussions > Topic Details
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Iggy  [developer] Aug 2, 2018 @ 1:09am
SCUM - MASTER FAQ & INFO THREAD
  • The release date, price, preordering and getting a key?
29.08.2018. Starting price - $19.99, gradually increased during the EA. You won’t be able to preorder SCUM. Invites are being organized only from the developer side.

  • SCUM - is it just another Battle Royal game?
Short answer - no.

Long answer - SCUM is much more than that. It takes the best features from various survival games and combines them into a huge, “do as you wish” sandbox game. It will be among the first games to provide you with a choice between hardcore survival and action filled events.

One day you might feel like only wandering around the map, scavenging, improving your character and casually meeting other players (similar to DayZ). But the choice of spicing things up will always be there, with constant events organized across the map. Players can check the upcoming events, such as CTF-s, DM-s, TDM-s and sign up for a spot. These events will provide players with high risk, high reward situations. Once the event starts on a predetermined location, you will get to pick event-based weapons and then do your best to survive, kill other players and capture objectives - resulting in getting more fame from millions of viewers closely following your every action.

Being the most famous player on the server will grant you different rewards, but will also place a bounty on your head as other, unknown players, might decide to track you down and kill you to earn the fame points themselves.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg of features coming at day 1. To see other features and systems we plan to implement, it would be best to check out our Youtube channel.

  • Metabolism window - is it going to result with tedious and constant micromanagement?
That was never our goal, even though we have to admit that its window might look overwhelming at first.

Our plan is actually really simple - if you are hungry, you will eat. If you are thirsty, you will drink. If tired - you will rest. These simple and logical actions will give your character ability to achieve its full potential, without ever opening the metabolism window. However, people who want to micromanage and optimize their statistics will have the option to do so.

Basically, being in tip top shape gives you a slight advantage, but it won’t automatically win fights for you. It all comes down to the player skill.

  • Will there be dedicated 1st and 3rd person servers in SCUM?
This has been requested a lot by our community and we will do our best to implement it as soon as possible.

  • What is going to be SCUM’s anti-cheat system?
Easy Anti Cheat (EAC)

  • Who will be SCUM’s server providers and will players be able to create/host their own SCUM servers?
Our server provider will be G-Portal. You will be able to rent your own server and play by your own rules.

  • How many players per server?
Initially 64 players per server, but we are open to changing this during the EA phase.

  • How will we level our characters’ skills and perks?
Leveling will happen over the course of many hours and by doing certain actions within the game. Each skill will have 4 levels, basic, medium and advanced obtainable during the character creation, with advanced + level being obtainable only through playing.

  • What if I die, do I lose experience, skills and items?
You will have the option to spend your fame points in order to keep your experience, skills and items. More you decide to keep - more expensive it gets. But until the fame system is completely implemented, respawning will be free.

  • Will there be base building in SCUM?
We plan to kick things off with fortifying existing buildings, but fortification won't be available from day 1.

  • Will SCUM have emotes, skins, posters and other types of microtransactions?
There won't be microtransactions, but we do plan to add the "visual-only" content, such as skins, emotes, posters and similar down the line.

  • Will SCUM be a session based game?
SCUM has a persistent world, making it a non-session game.

  • Will SCUM have single player?
Yes, in a way where you make your own local server and play alone on it. In later stages of development we plan to add a campaign, missions, npc-s and similar.

  • What engine and language is SCUM using?
SCUM is using Unreal Engine 4 and is being developed in C++.

  • Will there be realistic weapon damage and bullet travel in SCUM?
Fire weapon handling will be directly affected by the Strength skill, that generally involves everything related to muscle power. More Strength will mean better gun handling and recoil handling for example. Although exhaustion, illness or wounds will heavily affect your stamina, and therefore, your gun handling. For a more complete answer, check out our video regarding gunplay!

We are also using G1 ballistic formula and everything is pretty accurate.
https://kestrelmeters.com/pages/g1-g7-ballistic-coefficients-what-s-the-difference

  • How big is the map and will there be a compass in SCUM?
The current size of the map is 12x12km and yes, you will be able to craft your compass.

  • Will there be female models in SCUM?
Of course, but they will be implemented later on.

  • Where can I find more information about the game?
First, check the videos on our Youtube channel. Next, check out the simulation & PVE official quotes. You might also check out the exclusive interview with our community manager, Wonder. And if you still can’t find your answer, feel free to post your question here or make a separate discussion.

Make sure you join our social pages and portals to share your questions and suggestions directly with developers. Hope to see you in the game!
Last edited by Iggy; Aug 10, 2018 @ 7:04am
< >
Showing 301-315 of 1,095 comments
LevaOpaki  [developer] Jan 24, 2018 @ 3:06am 
Originally posted by Charliebrownau HIGH:
Gday

1. What engine does this game use:
GODOT , UE4 , Unity ?

UE4

Originally posted by Charliebrownau HIGH:
2. What graphic API does this game use :-
Directx11 - Limited to Win7/8/10
OpenGL 4.5 - Same graphics as DX11 works on MacOSX + Linux + Win7/8/10

VULKAN - Same graphics as DX12 but works on Linux + Win 7/8/10
DX12 only works on Win10

DirectX 11 only for now

Originally posted by Charliebrownau HIGH:
3. What sound API does game use:-
DirectX , OpenAL , SteamAudio ?

OpenAL works on MacOSX + Linux + Win7/8/10
http://www.openal.org/

SteamAudio works on MacOSX + Linux + Win7/8/10
https://valvesoftware.github.io/steam-audio/

XAudio2

Originally posted by Charliebrownau HIGH:
4. Can you host your own custom coop server using SteamCMD ?
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

Not yet but you can buy server slots at our offical server partner.

Originally posted by Charliebrownau HIGH:
5. Can I play this on Ataribox ?
Ataribox is a Retro Steammachine console
bundled with retro games but running Linux

Linux will be very likely supported very soon but not on EA release date. But, I'm not sure that Ataribox has near enough good hardware to run any modern UE4 game.
Deda Stojko  [developer] Jan 24, 2018 @ 5:31am 
Hey GGMarZhill here are the answers:

1. Will fire work similarly on layers of clothes like water does? If someone throws a Molotov cocktail at youwill this only affect the first layer of clothing until it burns through to the next?
To be honest we didn't make that kind of game mechanics yet. We have just started working on throw-able stuff, and we have just a basics- you can throw almost anything and depending on the material it will either puncture, bound off or break on the impact (possibly explode).
It's logical that outer parts should be able to protect you and inner layers of clothing from fire. I guess that should be hard to implement. So in case you step into fire, your shoes will be destroyed and then you will get burns on your feet.

Now if we are talking about how projectiles like Molotov cocktail can influence characters with wet clothes that's a bit more difficult. We will try to get as real as possible here, but it will be hard to find actual info on that subject. If you ask will it dry clothes well I really don't know, I think that victim will burn much faster, especially exposed parts of their skin. Applying heat to wet clothes works without any problem, no matter what is the source of the heat it will dry the clothes, but in this case gear might get damaged a lot. Maybe in the same way if you would try to dry wet clothes by throwing them into the fire. Any fire will burn as long as it has fuel and source of oxygen. If the clothes are wet, they should absorb certain amount of heat but what burns in Molotov cocktail is the fluid mixture (alcohol) that has been spilled over the target. I'm pretty sure that any type of clothing no matter how damp it is, will be burnt by that kind of fire.

2. I noticed in the wetness video you can dry your clothes by the fire, if left for too long is there a chance of said clothing catching fire?
No, unless you put it into the fire source. Then it will get damaged and eventually destroyed.

3. On the opposite end of the scale, getting too cold/ice. Can wet clothing go icey if the temperature is cold enough? My idea behind this is that clothing could become unwearable if left out and if also damp, if already worn can clothes which are moist and become icey reduce the movement of a player further?
Currently we don't have below zero temperatures, so there is no ice and snow right now. But we will work on dynamic weather system during EA. Wet clothes cool down your body, if the temperature outside is low you might get hypothermia. That happens if your body temperature gets below 35 degrees Celsius (more/less around that number). This kind of sickness is already supported in the game. There will be also possibility that you get common cold if your body temperature get below 36.7 degrees and stays like that for more than few hours. Then it depends everything on your character's constitution to save him/her from getting sick.

4. To encompass the ideas above will clothing have grades of quality and durability? I understand they already have camo stats, water resistance but what else can we expect from clothing? Examples being ballistic damage resistance, cutting\slashing, blunt damage resistance, fire resistance.

Right now we have damage resistance, camo stats and water resistance per material. I don't see any reason not to include other ones also.. Thanks for the suggestions :)

The_Ghostwarrior Jan 24, 2018 @ 11:47am 
how much will the game be when it hits EA?
I have a quesion about how the BR will work, is it gonna be like one of the tv shows in game. Is it gonna be like an actual BR, like last man standing? Is the starting point of the game gonna be like at a prison where you can walk around and join the shows or is it gonna be like giant island that you just run around on and loot and survive?
Ocean Rain Jan 24, 2018 @ 2:07pm 
Originally posted by The_Ghostwarrior:
how much will the game be when it hits EA?
I have a quesion about how the BR will work, is it gonna be like one of the tv shows in game. Is it gonna be like an actual BR, like last man standing? Is the starting point of the game gonna be like at a prison where you can walk around and join the shows or is it gonna be like giant island that you just run around on and loot and survive?

FAQ:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/513710/discussions/0/1692659135897862383/
GGMarZhill Jan 24, 2018 @ 4:54pm 
Thanks for the response Deda Stojko! I shall have some more questions for the Dev team soon :P
Alt+227 Jan 25, 2018 @ 9:47am 
This is really disappointing. Its not about copying other games style, its not even about justifying the feature extensively with in game lore to provide it some context with the BCU thing. Its all about being absolutely positive nobody can see you if you are visually hidden. If I am completely hidden in a game, I want to be sure nobody can see me.

Consider this scenario in real life. Im running down a corridor which has windows in it, at the end of the corridor is a T-junction. Now if Im running down this corridor and somebody sees me through the window, they know I am running down that corridor but they have no idea which way I will turn at the end. Hell I might even crouch at the junction and wait to see if anybody appears at the ends to ambush me. They have to make a tactical decision about which way they think Im going to go and act on it quickly. That both increases their mental investment in the game by having to quickly make a decision of which the outcome could result in a kill or death, and also gives me the slight upper hand as the other player has an idea where I am but does not know for sure.

By giving the player the several second wall hack, he catches a glimpse of me running through the window, then crouches and watches through the wall at which way I turn at the end of the corridor. Then he is able to just cut me off, ambush me, and kill me without any need to anticipate where I am going or make any risky decisions. No in game lore, story, or development gameplay choices can justify this. You are reducing the amount of real mental/physical excitement a person can get from playing this game by including this skill.

Please see this isnt a rant or whine, but an attempt to convey why so many people are complaining about this decision. I havent seen this concern addressed anywhere and so I wanted to raise it.
Last edited by Alt+227; Jan 25, 2018 @ 11:23am
madkingdom Jan 25, 2018 @ 11:43am 
Originally posted by Alt+227:
This is really disappointing. Its not about copying other games style, its not even about justifying the feature extensively with in game lore to provide it some context with the BCU thing. Its all about being absolutely positive nobody can see you if you are visually hidden. If I am completely hidden in a game, I want to be sure nobody can see me.

Consider this scenario in real life. Im running down a corridor which has windows in it, at the end of the corridor is a T-junction. Now if Im running down this corridor and somebody sees me through the window, they know I am running down that corridor but they have no idea which way I will turn at the end. Hell I might even crouch at the junction and wait to see if anybody appears at the ends to ambush me. They have to make a tactical decision about which way they think Im going to go and act on it quickly. That both increases their mental investment in the game by having to quickly make a decision of which the outcome could result in a kill or death, and also gives me the slight upper hand as the other player has an idea where I am but does not know for sure.

By giving the player the several second wall hack, he catches a glimpse of me running through the window, then crouches and watches through the wall at which way I turn at the end of the corridor. Then he is able to just cut me off, ambush me, and kill me without any need to anticipate where I am going or make any risky decisions. No in game lore, story, or development gameplay choices can justify this. You are reducing the amount of real mental/physical excitement a person can get from playing this game by including this skill.

Please see this isnt a rant or whine, but an attempt to convey why so many people are complaining about this decision. I havent seen this concern addressed anywhere and so I wanted to raise it.
+1 My thoughts, it's impossible, unless you have tunnel vision, power eyes covered in ultra technology, and brain shells...This is not adding anything new to a genre, but frustration, and criticism. Im loving this game, (ive not played yet) i love the effort of the devs, and the fetures, but not this one! :steamhappy:
Deda Stojko  [developer] Jan 25, 2018 @ 11:58am 
We are aware of your concerns, if our testing groups (that will be selected from the community here and on social media) report this feature as problematic, we would gladly remove it from the game. It's not our intention to irritate players, if something doesn't work there is no point in having it in the game, but at least we would like that people try it out before it is removed. Remeber that SCUM has more innovations in just a few features than many games have in the whole gameplay mechanics and we will keep improving them further during EA. It is likely that certain amount of players will not like some things, it is really hard to satisfy everybody, but if we manage to keep that percentage around 80%-90% than we will know we doing right things.
Also, your voice counts, don't be silent majority, if you like something please tell us that also. All feedback is appreciated, we need to know if we are doing something right like we have to know if we fail in something. As long as we have communication and support we will not fail you, I can promise you that!
Alt+227 Jan 25, 2018 @ 12:10pm 
Originally posted by Deda Stojko:
We are aware of your concerns, if our testing groups (that will be selected from the community here and on social media) report this feature as problematic, we would gladly remove it from the game. It's not our intention to irritate players, if something doesn't work there is no point in having it in the game, but at least we would like that people try it out before it is removed. Remeber that SCUM has more innovations in just a few features than many games have in the whole gameplay mechanics and we will keep improving them further during EA. It is likely that certain amount of players will not like some things, it is really hard to satisfy everybody, but if we manage to keep that percentage around 80%-90% than we will know we doing right things.
Also, your voice counts, don't be silent majority, if you like something please tell us that also. All feedback is appreciated, we need to know if we are doing something right like we have to know if we fail in something. As long as we have communication and support we will not fail you, I can promise you that!

Wow thanks for such a quick and comprehensive response! Its awesome to see a team so dedicated to making a great game that players want to play, and actively encouraging both positive and negative feedback from the community. I look forward to seeing how the game progresses through development. :)
madkingdom Jan 25, 2018 @ 12:17pm 
Maybe, you should choose the testers by categories, or likings. Somthing like a Survey, how many like these or those features, and be balanced about it. So everybody get in!
The_Ghostwarrior Jan 25, 2018 @ 7:11pm 
hey guys the game looks amazing how do i get a tester key would love to help test it
ehrw Jan 26, 2018 @ 5:15am 
Originally posted by Charliebrownau HIGH:
4. Can you host your own custom coop server using SteamCMD ?
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

Not yet but you can buy server slots at our offical server partner.

Yet as in you'll be able to during early access? This is a key question for the whole game imo. Especially for the survival/building part of the game that's coming out later. Doesn't make sense paying a lot of money when tons of us have good connections and servers standing at home.

Just look at ARK during launch. Without community hosted servers people wouldn't have been able to play at all
LevaOpaki  [developer] Jan 26, 2018 @ 7:20am 
You can buy server slots from day 1 of EA.
ehrw Jan 26, 2018 @ 7:47am 
I meant the hosting your own server part :)
LevaOpaki  [developer] Jan 26, 2018 @ 8:20am 
Originally posted by ehrw:
I meant the hosting your own server part :)

We will probably do it sooner or later in EA but there is few problems that we need to polish regarding servers and take some stuff in consideration before doing that. E.g. if we release server files, then game is much easier target for cheaters and hacker and that can ruin game for others.
< >
Showing 301-315 of 1,095 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

SCUM > General Discussions > Topic Details