RUINER
RUINER > Help & Troubleshooting > Topic Details
em4n3m Apr 7, 2018 @ 10:56am
[Linux] Technical feedback
Hi,

The game runs almost perfect on my i7-8770k, 64 GiB@3200MHz, Nvidia 1080 GTX (proprietary drivers 390.48), SSD at 3440x1440 with everything set to very high, on Ubuntu Linux 16.04.4 (kernel 4.13.0-38).

I have to report the following glitches:
  • The game crashed once when I was entering the skills menu right after a fight (pushing Y key)
  • A cutscene, when leaving the first area, played without music/sounds
  • Sometimes, when entering menus the cursor doesn't get displayed (mouse does work because I move it and I can hear sounds, clicks, and highlight the UI elements

A couple of questions:
  1. How can I display the FPS?
  2. Where does a crashdump file get saved, so I will send it to you?

Thanks again, the game is great and very addictive!
Last edited by em4n3m; Apr 7, 2018 @ 10:58am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 58 comments
Excessum Apr 7, 2018 @ 12:08pm 
Lucky you... i can't even install the damn thing. I set it to install, and it downloads literally nothing at all. It says that the game has been downloaded, but when trying to run it, i get the "no executable has been found" error. Fun times!
Crystal Apr 7, 2018 @ 12:16pm 
Originally posted by Excessum:
Lucky you... i can't even install the damn thing. I set it to install, and it downloads literally nothing at all. It says that the game has been downloaded, but when trying to run it, i get the "no executable has been found" error. Fun times!
did you switch to beta branch?
Excessum Apr 7, 2018 @ 1:01pm 
Originally posted by Crystal:
did you switch to beta branch?
Well colour me stupid and call me a flat earher, i did not read the release notes or the fact that the linux version is in beta. Saw it in my list of available games on Linux Steam and tried to run it... with little success, as i wrote above.
Thanks man!
The game is now downloading properly. Will see how it runs in 10 minutes or so :)
Kitanii Apr 7, 2018 @ 3:02pm 
Ubuntu 17.10
Ubuntu 18.04 (dev branch)
Stock kernels
geforce drivers 390.48
GTX 1070
6700K @ stock 4GHz
16GB DDR4 @ 3GHz
Installed on a SSD
A lot of stuttering, but high framerates maxed out at 1080p. At least 100+.
With or without v-sync doesn't matter.
Windowed or fullscreen.
Forced full composition or not.
Xorg used in both cases.
Assuming it's down to poor usage of GNOME since it seems to be slower in the mainstream Ubuntu than in for example Fedora.

EDIT: 16.04.4 has the exact same amount of stuttering. Constantly while moving from one small area to the next in a level. On a 144Hz monitor here if that matters.
Last edited by Kitanii; Apr 7, 2018 @ 3:58pm
Kitanii Apr 7, 2018 @ 4:24pm 
Originally posted by em4n3m:
Hi,

The game runs almost perfect on my i7-8770k, 64 GiB@3200MHz, Nvidia 1080 GTX (proprietary drivers 390.48), SSD at 3440x1440 with everything set to very high, on Ubuntu Linux 16.04.4 (kernel 4.13.0-38).

I have to report the following glitches:
  • The game crashed once when I was entering the skills menu right after a fight (pushing Y key)
  • A cutscene, when leaving the first area, played without music/sounds
  • Sometimes, when entering menus the cursor doesn't get displayed (mouse does work because I move it and I can hear sounds, clicks, and highlight the UI elements

A couple of questions:
  1. How can I display the FPS?
  2. Where does a crashdump file get saved, so I will send it to you?

Thanks again, the game is great and very addictive!


Use the steam overlay (shift+tab) and under the tab "in-game" you can toggle a fps counter.
Also. Did you compile the GPU drivers yourself or did you use the graphics-drivers team PPA over at launchpad?
em4n3m Apr 8, 2018 @ 1:58am 
Originally posted by Kitanii:
Use the steam overlay (shift+tab) and under the tab "in-game" you can toggle a fps counter.
Also. Did you compile the GPU drivers yourself or did you use the graphics-drivers team PPA over at launchpad?

Nvidia, I have to use proprietary... from the PPA of course...
Kitanii Apr 8, 2018 @ 3:32am 
Originally posted by em4n3m:
Originally posted by Kitanii:
Use the steam overlay (shift+tab) and under the tab "in-game" you can toggle a fps counter.
Also. Did you compile the GPU drivers yourself or did you use the graphics-drivers team PPA over at launchpad?

Nvidia, I have to use proprietary... from the PPA of course...
You could've downloaded and compiled them directly from Nvidia instead of using the pre-compiled ones from the PPA. That's why I asked. Does it stutter for you? 60Hz screen?
em4n3m Apr 8, 2018 @ 5:37am 
Originally posted by Kitanii:
Originally posted by em4n3m:

Nvidia, I have to use proprietary... from the PPA of course...
You could've downloaded and compiled them directly from Nvidia instead of using the pre-compiled ones from the PPA. That's why I asked. Does it stutter for you? 60Hz screen?
75 Hz screen and no stutter at all...
ageres Apr 8, 2018 @ 5:42am 
Lubuntu 17.10, AMD FX-8350 @ 4.2Ghz, GTX 1060. Framerate is unstable (30-80 fps), and the game stutters all the time even when framerate is high. It crashed twice so far.
At first I had no sound in videos, but then I installed VLC 3 via snap (I had 2.2 before that), and now sound is there.
*Yuki* Apr 8, 2018 @ 7:25am 
Originally posted by em4n3m:
How can I display the FPS?
so far I didnt find anything like that in game's settings, nor configs, so - probably only via steamoverlay. Was about to suggest fps showcase - shouldnt be hard to implement, since its unreal engine game.



Originally posted by em4n3m:
Where does a crashdump file get saved, so I will send it to you?
I think, its /home/.config/Epic/Ruiner/Config/CrashReportClient/

But I may be wrong
*Yuki* Apr 8, 2018 @ 11:47am 
Originally posted by Ruiner_Dispatcher:
C:\Users\
>linux

this Dispatcher is broken, we need a new one
(Its thread about linux issues. While path, you listed, is windows-specific)
Last edited by *Yuki*; Apr 8, 2018 @ 11:48am
Crystal Apr 8, 2018 @ 12:01pm 
well, at least in windows, your save is located in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Ruiner\Saved\SaveGames\[your steam id]
so if you fond folder with your steam id, chances are ruiner crash logs are near, considering it follows same folder tree
Cellprocessing Apr 8, 2018 @ 4:51pm 
I am on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with kernal 4.15.15 and grafics driver Mesa 18.0

System is a Ryzen 1700X with 16GB of 2933mhz ram on a gigabyte X370 Gaming 5. System GPU is Power Color RX 580 Golden sample. Storage for linux is a single Toshiba 240GB TLZ 100 on sata. Display is a Nixeus Vue 24 1080P 144hz TN on Displayport

Once when I had firefox open on second monitor play a video the game would not let me click on things. After a restart it worked. Also getting the studder issue when moving between area's. Happens even when the game is the only thing running. I could try and run the game on my 60hz to see if it happens there. I have in the past seen issues caused by the old 144hz refresh.

Otherwise game launches in the right window so for. And beside the studder. Seemes to run well on AMD hardware.
Kitanii Apr 9, 2018 @ 3:42am 
Originally posted by Cellprocessing:
I am on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with kernal 4.15.15 and grafics driver Mesa 18.0

System is a Ryzen 1700X with 16GB of 2933mhz ram on a gigabyte X370 Gaming 5. System GPU is Power Color RX 580 Golden sample. Storage for linux is a single Toshiba 240GB TLZ 100 on sata. Display is a Nixeus Vue 24 1080P 144hz TN on Displayport

Once when I had firefox open on second monitor play a video the game would not let me click on things. After a restart it worked. Also getting the studder issue when moving between area's. Happens even when the game is the only thing running. I could try and run the game on my 60hz to see if it happens there. I have in the past seen issues caused by the old 144hz refresh.

Otherwise game launches in the right window so for. And beside the studder. Seemes to run well on AMD hardware.

First thought regarding higher refresh rates (120Hz+) was that the V-sync implementation might be too aggressive cutting too many frames every time it dropped, but since the stuttering occurs even without it it's something else.
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the reports. We are working on the new Ubuntu version as we speak and we already know the reason for the most often mentioned crash. It should be fixed soon.

@em4n3m - was the issue with the sound just a one time only? Or is it repeatable? Did you try to install VLC3?
The cursor sometimes acts this way. We already have it identified. Try to turn off the menu, move the mouse and turn it on again.

@ageres - did the crashes appeared in switch phase/radial menu/before or after videos?

Take care,
RUINERS
< >
Showing 1-15 of 58 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

RUINER > Help & Troubleshooting > Topic Details