Where the Water Tastes Like Wine

Where the Water Tastes Like Wine

View Stats:
yakkmeister Sep 14, 2021 @ 6:10am
Startup Bug on Debian - No Menu after Splash Screen
Just installed, using native Linux version (one of the main reasons I picked this up) but I get nothing after the splash screen except a dark, textured graphic which looks like it's intended to be the background for a menu.
I get no errors, nothing gets dumped into console when I try to run it from there (it seems to fork or something because the prompt returns before the game window appears) and there's no other crash-like behaviour.
Running on Debian 11
Originally posted by Johnnemann:
Whoops, sorry! Somehow the branch didn't get updated with the build. There should be a public branch up now, no password needed.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Johnnemann  [developer] Sep 14, 2021 @ 8:21am 
Hi!

This is a known bug on Linux having to do with video playback. You can press "K" to skip the cutscenes here and get into the game.

Alternately, if you'd like to help me test a fix for this, you can switch to the "linuxtest" beta in the Steam client: https://www.technipages.com/how-to-opt-into-a-game-beta-on-steam

The new version should work fine without having to do anything special, but if you test it out please let me know if it works for you on Debian. Thank you!
Lt. Don Draper Sep 14, 2021 @ 2:10pm 
I get this exact bug on Windows 7 as well, so it's likely however the video playback works. I'd be willing to try a few things out to get it to work, I'd like to get the full experience. I'll be trying the fixes on the sticky in a moment.
yakkmeister Sep 14, 2021 @ 6:16pm 
Originally posted by Johnnemann:
Hi!

This is a known bug on Linux having to do with video playback. You can press "K" to skip the cutscenes here and get into the game.

Alternately, if you'd like to help me test a fix for this, you can switch to the "linuxtest" beta in the Steam client: https://www.technipages.com/how-to-opt-into-a-game-beta-on-steam

The new version should work fine without having to do anything special, but if you test it out please let me know if it works for you on Debian. Thank you!

I would be very happy to assist and thanks for the fast reply.

[edit] Looks like I need a beta code since the linuxtest beta isn't visable
Last edited by yakkmeister; Sep 14, 2021 @ 6:39pm
Crystal Sep 15, 2021 @ 12:27am 
all but default public branches are hidden behind password, thats why you cant see them. i dont see a 'linuxtest' branch anyway. the branches that are there, are either out of date or on par with default public branch
https://steamdb.info/app/447120/depots/
The author of this thread has indicated that this post answers the original topic.
Johnnemann  [developer] Sep 15, 2021 @ 3:13pm 
Whoops, sorry! Somehow the branch didn't get updated with the build. There should be a public branch up now, no password needed.
yakkmeister Sep 18, 2021 @ 4:48am 
Originally posted by Johnnemann:
Whoops, sorry! Somehow the branch didn't get updated with the build. There should be a public branch up now, no password needed.

Hey mate - this branch worked perfectly, as far as I can tell. I uninstalled and reset my progress, restarted the game and the intro sequence played as expected.
Johnnemann  [developer] Sep 18, 2021 @ 11:07am 
Thank you so much for testing that out! I will push this build live for LInux users :-)
Dreamer Mar 23 @ 6:01am 
March, 2022. Just bought a game and there he is - blank screen after the title. It's not fatal but i would not like to skip some content and'd like to own (and experience) a whole thing.
Crystal Mar 23 @ 7:36am 
Originally posted by Dreamer:
March, 2022. Just bought a game and there he is - blank screen after the title. It's not fatal but i would not like to skip some content and'd like to own (and experience) a whole thing.
have you tried running it under proton?
Dreamer Mar 23 @ 9:49am 
Originally posted by Crystal:
have you tried running it under proton?
I'm sorry but what is proton? All I tried is to turn "beta test" mode on. For this exact game. :-\
Crystal Mar 23 @ 9:51am 
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Originally posted by Crystal:
have you tried running it under proton?
I'm sorry but what is proton? All I tried is to turn "beta test" mode on. For this exact game. :-\
instead of using the native linux build, you can use steam proton[valve's fork of wine]. you can force it to use a specific version of proton, in properties of the game under force compatibility
Dreamer Mar 23 @ 10:31am 
Originally posted by Crystal:
instead of using the native linux build, you can use steam proton[valve's fork of wine]. you can force it to use a specific version of proton, in properties of the game under force compatibility
It's all a different language to me. :x
I guess I should have mentioned that i run the game on Windows 7 x64.
Crystal Mar 23 @ 11:05am 
but this is an issue with linux build. in that case, yours is probably something different, unrelated to this thread
Dreamer Mar 23 @ 11:44am 
Originally posted by Crystal:
but this is an issue with linux build. in that case, yours is probably something different, unrelated to this thread
Ok then. I'll stop posting. It's just exact the same here. Some random dark blue graphics right after the title screen. With only "K button" as a remedy. But again, I don't want to miss a thing.
Crystal Mar 23 @ 11:45am 
create a new thread, with as much info as you can provide and lets do it there
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Per page: 1530 50