Battle Brothers

Battle Brothers

View Stats:
Fzhek Mar 2, 2017 @ 12:23pm
Lone duelist guide
Hey there, I decided to make a guide on a specific type of mercenary, I personally call him the "Lone duelist"

Preferred backgrounds: Sellsword, Raider, Hedge Knight, Swordmaster or Retired Soldier.

Perks: http://imgur.com/a/dvadv

Skill points distribution:
-Tier 1: Melee skill, Melee defense, ranged defense, initiative.
-Tier 2: Fatigue and Resolve.
-Tier 3: Hitpoins.

Equipment: Nothing too heavy, 10-20 fatigue armor, 10-15 fatigue helm and a 1 handed sword.

Strategy: Start with him on one of the sides and get at least 3 tiles away from your party, then go and flank the enemy archers/priests/necromancers/etc. Trust me, you will be very hard to hit and can take 4-5 brigands/orc young/goblins by yourself. Not to mention that you will hit like crazy with perks like berserk, killing freenzy and duelist.


Here is my "Lone duelist" http://imgur.com/a/LK84t
Last edited by Fzhek; Mar 5, 2017 @ 3:03am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 27 comments
Stardog765 Mar 2, 2017 @ 12:39pm 
Looks like a bad a$$!
Now if I can make one of those for both my flanks BWWAAAHHHAAAHAA!


Thanks for the ideas!
Muscarine Mar 2, 2017 @ 12:54pm 
As a side note i'm using a similar build in my current playthrough for my flankers, but i would advise against it if you're playing ironman. (So yes i regret my choice)

The reason being a couple unlucky rolls and the guy is gone.

Yesterday i lost a 60+ melee defense Duelist because two thugs (yes thugs) consecutively landed 4 flail lashes on his head.

Heavy armor is still your best pick on recruits you don't want to lose.

Because realistically on ironman their chances to survive using light armor until level 14 and full uniques are extremely thin.
Last edited by Muscarine; Mar 2, 2017 @ 12:55pm
Aviticus Dragon Mar 2, 2017 @ 12:55pm 
Nice one! Do you feel that Brawny is needed for this build? I came up with a few that I'm working on.

Lonewolf Survivor Build:

Pathfinder to close the distance, Footwork to leave the area if biting off more than you can chew.

Tier 1
Pathfinder

Tier 2
Dodge

Tier 3
Underdog

Tier 4
Cleaver Mastery

Tier 5
Lone Wolf
Footwork

Tier 6
Berserk
Nimble

Tier 7
Duelist
Killing Frenzy


Lonewolf, No Retreat Build:

Same sort of deal but goes for crippling the opponents around you. Could replace Pathfinder with Brawny.

Tier 1
Crippling Strikes

Tier 2
Dodge
Executioner

Tier 3
Underdog
Brawny

Tier 4
Cleaver Mastery

Tier 5
Lone Wolf

Tier 6
Berserk
Nimble

Tier 7
Duelist
Fzhek Mar 2, 2017 @ 1:09pm 
Originally posted by Aviticus Dragon:
Nice one! Do you feel that Brawny is needed for this build? I came up with a few that I'm working on.

Lonewolf Survivor Build:

Pathfinder to close the distance, Footwork to leave the area if biting off more than you can chew.

Tier 1
Pathfinder

Tier 2
Dodge

Tier 3
Underdog

Tier 4
Cleaver Mastery

Tier 5
Lone Wolf
Footwork

Tier 6
Berserk
Nimble

Tier 7
Duelist
Killing Frenzy


Lonewolf, No Retreat Build:

Same sort of deal but goes for crippling the opponents around you. Could replace Pathfinder with Brawny.

Tier 1
Crippling Strikes

Tier 2
Dodge
Executioner

Tier 3
Underdog
Brawny

Tier 4
Cleaver Mastery

Tier 5
Lone Wolf

Tier 6
Berserk
Nimble

Tier 7
Duelist

Brawny is good for prolonged battles, for example when you fight 30-40 enemies. You could go for something else, I don't find footwork really good to be honest, it costs a lot of fatigue and when I want to get away from an enemy, I just click away and almost never get hit, hehe. Pathfinder could be an option but I never use it for any of my mercenaries. I think Gifted is better overall since you benefit more from the stats because you have Lone wolf which gives bonuses in percentages and having like +3 melee skill will benefit more than you think. I also don't use Executioner because most of the times I one-shot my enemies when killing frenzy is on.

Why do you use Cleavers? I think swords are much better because of Riposte.
Fzhek Mar 2, 2017 @ 1:10pm 
Originally posted by Muscarine:
As a side note i'm using a similar build in my current playthrough for my flankers, but i would advise against it if you're playing ironman. (So yes i regret my choice)

The reason being a couple unlucky rolls and the guy is gone.

Yesterday i lost a 60+ melee defense Duelist because two thugs (yes thugs) consecutively landed 4 flail lashes on his head.

Heavy armor is still your best pick on recruits you don't want to lose.

Because realistically on ironman their chances to survive using light armor until level 14 and full uniques are extremely thin.

Man, just play on Expert without ironman, it's a real challenge :)
Muscarine Mar 2, 2017 @ 1:30pm 
Originally posted by Kehzf:
Man, just play on Expert without ironman, it's a real challenge :)

I'm not trying to belittle none ironman players by any means, i just like to tick that little box for a very personal reason being that if i reload a save after someone died i can't help but look at the character and think to myself "should be dead".

Which makes the entire playthrough feel like a cheat.
But it's entirely a personal mindset.
Arngrim Mar 2, 2017 @ 1:41pm 
Originally posted by Kehzf:
Hey there, I decided to make a guide on a specific type of mercenary, I personally call him the "Lone duelist"

Preferred backgrounds: Sellsword, Raider, Hedge Knight, Swordmaster or Retired Soldier.

Perks: http://imgur.com/a/dvadv

Skill points distribution:
-Tier 1: Melee skill, Melee defense, ranged defense, initiative.
-Tier 2: Fatigue and Resolve.
-Tier 3: Hitpoins.

Equipment: Nothing too heavy, 10-20 fatigue armor, 10-15 fatigue helm and a 1 handed sword.

Strategy: Start with him on one of the sides and get at least 3 times away from your party, then go and flank the enemy archers/priests/necromancers/etc. Trust me, you will be very hard to hit and can take 4-5 brigands/orc young/goblins by yourself. Not to mention that you will hit like crazy with perks like berserk, killing freenzy and duelist.


Here is my "Lone duelist" http://imgur.com/a/1JyYP

Without getting into crunching numbers, characters that rely on dodge instead of consistent damage mitigation/mitigation are a no-go in any game with permanent death. The enemy has to get lucky only once, as in Muscarine's scenario, for it to be game over for that guy. However, a tank character with the damage reduction perk (can never remember it's name) are far less likely to die, particularly in the aformentioned anecdote.
Aviticus Dragon Mar 2, 2017 @ 1:44pm 
Originally posted by Kehzf:
Originally posted by Aviticus Dragon:

Why do you use Cleavers? I think swords are much better because of Riposte.

I don't know I am just trying to come up with new builds. I haven't actually gotten that far to test out any builds to see if they work or don't work. So you're saying you swing once, use riposte so you get a free attack when they try to attack you? Seems like swords might be better for this build
Last edited by Aviticus Dragon; Mar 2, 2017 @ 1:44pm
Fzhek Mar 2, 2017 @ 1:49pm 
Originally posted by Aviticus Dragon:
Originally posted by Kehzf:

I don't know I am just trying to come up with new builds. I haven't actually gotten that far to test out any builds to see if they work or don't work. So you're saying you swing once, use riposte so you get a free attack when they try to attack you? Seems like swords might be better for this build


I usually swing 2-3 times. I use riposte only when 3-4 enemies are near me.
Last edited by Fzhek; Mar 2, 2017 @ 1:49pm
Muscarine Mar 2, 2017 @ 1:49pm 
Cleavers with Duelist do crazy damage, Necrosavants are a perfect illustration.
Once you get your hands on a couple Khopesh it's completely worth it. But the character needs very high melee stat otherwise yes, stick to Noble Swords.
= Mar 2, 2017 @ 2:03pm 
Originally posted by Arngrim:
Without getting into crunching numbers, characters that rely on dodge instead of consistent damage mitigation/mitigation are a no-go in any game with permanent death. The enemy has to get lucky only once, as in Muscarine's scenario, for it to be game over for that guy. However, a tank character with the damage reduction perk (can never remember it's name) are far less likely to die, particularly in the aformentioned anecdote.

'9 lives' should mitigate the risk of getting killed due to luck.

I have never considered a build such as this before to be honest. I may have to give it a go.
Aviticus Dragon Mar 2, 2017 @ 2:11pm 
Damn there's so many possibilities!
Froblex Mar 3, 2017 @ 1:40am 
What is that fancy necklace of ears?
Fzhek Mar 3, 2017 @ 2:08am 
Originally posted by Infidel:
What is that fancy necklace of ears?

http://imgur.com/a/i4rmQ
Raskol Mar 3, 2017 @ 5:08pm 
what are the perks that you got for the duelist?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 27 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Mar 2, 2017 @ 12:23pm
Posts: 27