Death Pirate

Death Pirate

View Stats:
INF4M0US1 Apr 26, 2015 @ 5:24pm
Obligatory steam keys
Hi, i noticed this was part of the IR Debut 17 bundle and was wondering if there would steam keys given. Thanks.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 146 comments
isidorembuma  [developer] Apr 27, 2015 @ 2:16am 
Hi. The version of the game sold in IR Debut is a very old version of the game. No steam keys will be given as it is now nearly a brand new game.
INF4M0US1 Apr 27, 2015 @ 3:01am 
"Caracterics
- 60 fps action!
- Available Language : french and english
- HD Graphics
- A mix of action and RPG
- Play as a super hero who can fly and explore vast levels in various environments
- 15 stages and 13 special episodes
- 7 unique characters with three different types of gameplay
- Explore the city of South Town and investigate on the mystery of the Death Pirate
- Meet new characters and befriends to obtain bonuses during the stages - An original story and an edgy soundtrack
- Level up and upgrade your technique and abilities
- and more... "


Sorry, but does this look familiar? It is almost the same description of the game Death Pirate, only this appeared on the greelight page for Heavy Metal Death Pirate.

You got the greenlight for HMDP, not DP SP. You took the game, tweaked it, and shortened the name. Then you have reply to my post saying it's an "older version of the game". Which may be correct, it still is THE SAME GAME. I'm not going to pursue it further, however, I hope you have also have an upgraded flame shield for the rest of the community.

Good day to you sir!
Alexspeed Apr 27, 2015 @ 6:01am 
The next scumbag developer who renames his game to get rid of his bundle obligations.

Dont think this will work out well for you and your game, prepare to be blacklisted by gamers for such a thing. I will stay clear of you and your game and everything you did and will do. Singe Studio is dead allready with its first game.
Originally posted by INF4M0US1:
"Caracterics
- 60 fps action!
- Available Language : french and english
- HD Graphics
- A mix of action and RPG
- Play as a super hero who can fly and explore vast levels in various environments
- 15 stages and 13 special episodes
- 7 unique characters with three different types of gameplay
- Explore the city of South Town and investigate on the mystery of the Death Pirate
- Meet new characters and befriends to obtain bonuses during the stages - An original story and an edgy soundtrack
- Level up and upgrade your technique and abilities
- and more... "


Sorry, but does this look familiar? It is almost the same description of the game Death Pirate, only this appeared on the greelight page for Heavy Metal Death Pirate.

You got the greenlight for HMDP, not DP SP. You took the game, tweaked it, and shortened the name. Then you have reply to my post saying it's an "older version of the game". Which may be correct, it still is THE SAME GAME. I'm not going to pursue it further, however, I hope you have also have an upgraded flame shield for the rest of the community.

Good day to you sir!
I completely agree with this. If the dev wanted to remake this into a "new game", they shouldn't have used the old greenlight page to get it onto Steam. Everyone that bought the bundle and voted for the game will be expecting Steam keys. Other devs have tried to pull the same thing and it destroyed their reputation.
Last edited by ineedarocketlauncher; Apr 27, 2015 @ 2:31pm
Drabelincoln Apr 27, 2015 @ 2:39pm 
Classic bait and switch.

and aren't contracts signed with Indie Royale requiring steam keys for games that are greenlit?

Last edited by Drabelincoln; Apr 27, 2015 @ 2:40pm
aguswings Apr 27, 2015 @ 3:08pm 
thanks for bringing this to my attention. Will steer clear of this game and this studio from now on.
Motoki Apr 27, 2015 @ 7:40pm 
I agree with the others. You even had two Greenlight entries for the game and the older of the two, the one that was bundled and where you benefited from votes from the bundle buyers who bought it, was the one that got approved.

You basically benefits from the votes and exposure from a bundle and are not trying to go back on the other end of the bargain, which was to give Steam keys once the games get in. One of the main points of those Debut bundles on Indie Royale is to get exposure for games on Greenlight and help them get votes and get in. Now it just feels like we were used and tricked.
Sepioth Apr 27, 2015 @ 7:47pm 
YAY .. another Scumbag Developer ...

Congratulations on getting on the list. What was once a small list is getting bigger and bigger.

Sorry I can't give you the trophy "Super Scumbag Developer" .. I renamed it.
BobbyTastic Apr 27, 2015 @ 7:53pm 
Just checked what Motoki said. Yeah, no, you're not squirming out of this one.

You had the "upgraded" version as a separate title on Greenlight, and guess what? It didn't get Greenlit. But the original version (which was bundled) did.

You don't get to have your cake and eat it too. You only got greenlit because of those bundle buyers, so now's the time to pay up.
Last edited by BobbyTastic; Apr 27, 2015 @ 7:54pm
Jimbodan Apr 27, 2015 @ 8:12pm 
I agree with the other comments here. You promised a Steam key to people that supported your game via Indie Royale and now you are trying to weasel out of it. This is not right.
Stoibs Apr 27, 2015 @ 8:26pm 
Hey it must be "The Body Changer" dev's brother or something. Do these indie devs really have any idea how much damage and lost sales/negative word of mouth/lost respect this does to them when they do this? This is the age of the internet and gaming articles with nothing better to report on during slow days where dodgy moves like this travels really fast..

Only a handful of studios try to pull this off and it never ends well.

One would imagine being granted the privilege of featuring your work on unarguably the biggest PC game platform in existence would make you want to actually put the effort into showcasing to the world who you are and what you've got for us, this is potentially a major opportunity and a chance to launch you and your studio forward. When it comes up on the New Releases tab, you really don't want potential buyers to be offput by all this negativety and justified complaints/warnings, probably shouldn't be squandering this launch on petty semantics like it being a different name that you decided to change it to.

The fact of the matter is that you got here on Steam due mostly in part to the people who picked this up in whatever bundle and then decided to come over here and give it upvotes. That's a fact. You owe it to them to uphold your end of the bargain and agreement by following through. This is how this works. Don't shoot yourselves in the foot before you even launch and go live.

As an aside It really boggles the mind how some of these devs don't actually follow the indie scene themselves, you'd think they'd be as involved as us ‘laymen’; if not more-so - and see the other guys try to pull this crap and have nothing but negative repercussions.
kalirion Apr 27, 2015 @ 9:15pm 
Well I sure as ♥♥♥♥ am not going to be buying this game a second time just to have it on Steam, nor will I recommend it to anyone else.

Good luck with the bad PR this will generate, you're gonna need it.

Originally posted by Drabelincoln:
Classic bait and switch.

and aren't contracts signed with Indie Royale requiring steam keys for games that are greenlit?

Unfortunately no, IR is the only one to do "greenlight" style bundles without making the devs agree to provide steam keys - something to keep in mind when buying from them.

Fortunately, by far the vast majority of indie devs are not these kinds of lying scumbags, otherwise nobody would be buying those Debuts anymore.
Last edited by kalirion; Apr 27, 2015 @ 9:19pm
Originally posted by kalirion:
Well I sure as ♥♥♥♥ am not going to be buying this game a second time just to have it on Steam, nor will I recommend it to anyone else.

Good luck with the bad PR this will generate, you're gonna need it.

Originally posted by Drabelincoln:
Classic bait and switch.

and aren't contracts signed with Indie Royale requiring steam keys for games that are greenlit?

Unfortunately no, IR is the only one to do "greenlight" style bundles without making the devs agree to provide steam keys - something to keep in mind when buying from them.

Fortunately, by far the vast majority of indie devs are not these kinds of lying scumbags, otherwise nobody would be buying those Debuts anymore.
Actually, I know at least one of the bundles had a steam key requirement in the contract. I confirmed it with the Saturday Morning RPG dev. I don't know if that's still a thing for new debut bundles though.
Shoppa Apr 28, 2015 @ 6:05am 
Glad i did not bought the bundle, but hey dev you can suck my ..
Tatsuya Hiroki Apr 28, 2015 @ 8:38am 
Originally posted by isidorembuma:
Hi. The version of the game sold in IR Debut is a very old version of the game. No steam keys will be given as it is now nearly a brand new game.
What a classy excuse you have, dev...except it doesnt work that way, not when you use a bundle in order to promote your game. Dont you think you are in some slight contract breaching with IndieRoyale? and please dont give me that pathetic BS excuse that oh this version is somewhat new and therefore your not being obligated to give out steam keys.
Believe it or not, steam users are not as dumb. Wanna kill your reputation early one? your on the right way for doing so
Let me remind you that each and every dev who tried to slip his way out of their bundle obligation failed to do so. You may wanna study some PR because you clearly have no idea that your shooting yourself in the foot right now..
Oh well, dont let the door hit you at the exit when your game will end up as a commercial failure.
Last edited by Tatsuya Hiroki; Apr 28, 2015 @ 8:46am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 146 comments
Per page: 1530 50